Buy custom or buy used

daffy

Just seeking some thoughts from people.  I'm in Boddam Hybrids right now and recently tried some CCM Eflexes.  Found that I liked how much better they slide but still found them too stiff.  So naturally i'm thinking Vaughn Velo is the way to go.  I've looked around and haven't found quite what I want.  I think I'd be best suited to a V4 like a Cory Schneider pad.  

So nothing has really popped up. Gets me thinking about going custom.  Would like to keep pricing as low as possible ofcourse so I was considering Kenesky or Passau as they offer to do whatever one asks for.  My question is do you feel that they will nail the requests to have a V4 or V5 type feel?  I worry that since they don't do it all the time, there's a chance it doesn't work out.  Am I better off just continuing the search for a good set of used Vaughns? 

It's one thing for a company to change color or strapping but the core of the pad isn't as easy to get right. 

I'm leaning towards Boddam Patriot, Kenesky or finding a good set of used Vaughns.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this.

For what it's worth, Vaughn will make you a new set of V4s. Big up-charge though. 

Maybe it's just me, but I would go custom. That way you know you're not compromising anything. But hockey is my biggest hobby so everything working the way I want is important to me. 

If you want to spend little and still get some custom say in there, stick with the small guys and choose towards your budget (Boddam, Simmons, Battram, Passau, Kenesky, McKenney, Brown, PAW, and now Lefebvre but they might be pricey).

If you liked the Eflex, find some worked in pair that will have more flex. If your heart is set on V4s, keep hitting the regular spots (GGSU, Sidelineswap, Ebay, Dukes, Kijiji, Prostockhockey, etc)

Yeah the plan would be to stick to smaller manufacturers.  Vaughn would end up out of my budget.  The CCM Eflexes I had were used and original eflex 1s so I'm not sure how much more they could be worked in.  

Thanks for the thoughts thus far.

Pads are always changing and evolving, move past what you are "comfortable with", embrace the change and try some more modern pads. There's always an adjustment period, but once you get past that, you'll be glad you did.

...otherwise go on ebay, find some old V4's, and be happy with that. Or if you liked the Eflex feel, try Kenesky, I hear they are similar to the Eflex.

Like most have said depends on your budget and if you realistically need a custom set. I personally got a custom set because I wanted a certain color and design of my pad along with a pad that would last me some time without falling apart. Maybe you don't need a full custom set that will set you back 1.5/2k+ and can go with used or senior level stuff that will work for you. I don't think finding a soft pad like you are looking for will be difficult.

Archived