A.YOUNGoalie13

Why is the heel of my composite stick splitting?

Be kinder to your stick?

For real though, that's never an issue I've had with my composite sticks, player or goalie. Happened to my fibreglass paddle, though. Do you know what's causing it?

The last time I had this happen to one of my sticks was when I was a kid thinking I was cool using a wood stick for street hockey.  Wtf are you doing to your sticks?

@Puckstopper @SaveByRichter35 I rest my stick on the heel in my crouch and slide on it a lot when steering pucks into corners with it but I don’t shoot of the ice or anything. I always wear out the heels of my sticks but this turned into a hole. (This stick is also a season old)

Tape all the way past the heel to the bottom of the paddle. Overlap the tape by 50% so there's always at least two layers of tape covering the heel. Change your tape often. I have the same issue if I don't pay attention to my tape coverage.

I only tape about 15 cm from the tip for my composite sticks, never had anything chip from the heel. My foamcores always did that tho, even with couple layers of tape over it..

Just a guess: Get some pics of yourself in different play situations:  I bet the only part of your stick resting on the ice is the heel. This was a common problem with wood sticks back in the day when the only variable was lie. Worn heel meant you needed a lower lie.If the heel is the only thing touching in your stance you may need to adjust the paddle length.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:06 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

Tape all the way past the heel to the bottom of the paddle. Overlap the tape by 50% so there's always at least two layers of tape covering the heel. Change your tape often. I have the same issue if I don't pay attention to my tape coverage.

This - plus wax the tape along the bottom edge.

Lower lie worked for us — switched to a P20 from a P31 (13 lie vs 14), and now the whole blade is making contact with the ice instead of just the heel. Useful for goalies who are often crouching down to look through traffic.

Again though, lie and paddle length need to be in concert - altering one alone may not be that much help.

5 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Would duck tape maybe hold longer than regular tape?

So you’re asking if you can use duck tape for the split...? Probably not; duck tape is only for fixing quacks

16 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

So you’re asking if you can use duck tape for the split...? Probably not; duck tape is only for fixing quacks

A rare glimpse of Lucky in his natural habitat as he releases his daily dad joke

yk3wp.jpg.6f420ac7d7f01932a493758e31cab651.jpg

• Haha 1

yo this was my vapor x40 stick before it broke, both paddel and blade. how often do you retape the stick also do you slam the stick on the ice, post or crossbar?

13 hours ago, itis121 said:

yo this was my vapor x40 stick before it broke, both paddel and blade. how often do you retape the stick also do you slam the stick on the ice, post or crossbar?

No I don’t currently have anger issues

On 1/28/2020 at 3:52 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

A rare glimpse of Lucky in his natural habitat as he releases his daily dad joke

yk3wp.jpg.6f420ac7d7f01932a493758e31cab651.jpg

Close, buddy - but I actually wear my mask out to restaurants. Yeah, it's hard enough to drink with the mask on, let alone eat with it - but it allows for maximum embarrassment of family members.

I fixed it for you:

image.png.ddd73b5ef8725626b950cc3d1dd14a17.png