Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ken35

Replacement mask straps

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

My Otny needed new straps as the originals lost the majority of their stretch.  This was mostly because of age.  For Christmas my wife bought me some new straps from Goalieparts and after my last ice time one of them had unraveled pretty bad.  I may be able to make it usable by cutting and burning the ends but they seem much thinner than the originals.

My question is, who makes the best replacement straps? I am completely willing to buy a set and cut them to the proper length.  I just want a set that seem like they will last a good while.  I am holding out hope that these will still last but they do not seem like they will last very long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outsider straps, found on Goalieparts.com, are pretty decent.  Its a great design with the slip through tab on one end.  I personally prefer more of a firm elastic to keep the mask in place.  The elastic that Pro's Choice offers is top notch in that regard.  They offer the traditional 5 point harness and a quicksnap harness that is similar in function to the Outsider.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @SaveByRichter35,

Thank you for the reply.  Yeah I was looking at those but wonder if it would be the same grade of elastic strap.  The Pro's Choice may be an option.

The problem that I will likely always have is the attachment to the backplate.  Pretty much any straps I get will need to be cut and have a small hole to accommodate the attachment to the backplate.

I don't know of too many companies out there making straps in this configuration.

back X1 Pro.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ken35 said:

Hey all,

My Otny needed new straps as the originals lost the majority of their stretch.  This was mostly because of age.  For Christmas my wife bought me some new straps from Goalieparts and after my last ice time one of them had unraveled pretty bad.  I may be able to make it usable by cutting and burning the ends but they seem much thinner than the originals.

My question is, who makes the best replacement straps? I am completely willing to buy a set and cut them to the proper length.  I just want a set that seem like they will last a good while.  I am holding out hope that these will still last but they do not seem like they will last very long.

With the terry cloth, off-white straps, you essentially have three good options to prevent the ends from unraveling:

  • Sew over the ends
  • Coat/Dip the ends in 5-minute epoxy
  • Coat/Dip the ends in cyanoacrylate (super glue)

Any of these has worked very well for me over that past 20 years. I prefer epoxy as it is easy to trim the excess material off. Also, wash your mask harness occasionally (by hand) using normal detergent and air drying when finished. It will easily increase the life span of the harness two-fold, if not more.

Burning the ends, by the way, will accomplish little or nothing - the harness material is mostly cotton and latex rubber, neither of which will melt and harden like poly, nylon, etc. 

Edited by dualshowman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

With the terry cloth, off-white straps, you essentially have three good options to prevent the ends from unraveling:

  • Sew over the ends
  • Coat/Dip the ends in 5-minute epoxy
  • Coat/Dip the ends in cyanoacrylate (super glue)

Any of these has worked very well for me over that past 20 years. I prefer epoxy as it is easy to trim the excess material off. Also, wash your mask harness occasionally (by hand) using normal detergent and air drying when finished. It will easily increase the life span of the harness two-fold, if not more.

Burning the ends, by the way, will accomplish little or nothing - the harness material is mostly cotton and latex rubber, neither of which will melt and harden like poly, nylon, etc. 

Thank you for that information.  I was not aware that burning the ends would not accomplish anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Monster Hockey is no more and they were quite the mess....but their Medusa Strap was awesome! I have it on both of my masks and they are amazing. Just shock cord with some simple aluminum anchors so I'm sure you could make some yourselves. 

https://monsterhockeyinc.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmedusa-mask-straps

I've been looking for the hardware online but so far no luck. Love them because they never lose their stretch like traditional straps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mckinneymagnum said:

I know Monster Hockey is no more and they were quite the mess....but their Medusa Strap was awesome! I have it on both of my masks and they are amazing. Just shock cord with some simple aluminum anchors so I'm sure you could make some yourselves. 

https://monsterhockeyinc.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmedusa-mask-straps

I've been looking for the hardware online but so far no luck. Love them because they never lose their stretch like traditional straps.

DO NOT ORDER FROM MONSTER... THEY'VE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY AND ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR FRAUD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

DO NOT ORDER FROM MONSTER... THEY'VE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY AND ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR FRAUD

YEAH I KNOW -- just was talking about how their product has been the best mask solution for me and hoping someone would be able to make their own. Definitely DO NOT WORK with Monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mckinneymagnum said:

YEAH I KNOW -- just was talking about how their product has been the best mask solution for me and hoping someone would be able to make their own. Definitely DO NOT WORK with Monster.

Image result for the more you know"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...