The Evolution Of Pad Design

Doobiesnax

If you look farther down on the form page you'll see his section. Basically he was the lead designer at TPS/Sherwood for 10ish years. Now he is doing one off gloves and blockers on demand. I had an X-lite glove and R-12 blocker made for me over the summer.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/18/2017 at 5:42 PM, Kayen said:

Off topic, but it appears I play in the same league as you @Doobiesnax... Thought I knew the team name looked familiar.  (If you're curious who I am just look for the worst gaa in the league)

Also what size pad are you in? 

Ha what team?!  Right now i'm in 35+1 Bauer TotalOnes... I'm thinking i'd like 34+1 in something softer with a double break though, like the GNetiks or Velocitys.  

• 6 months later...

Figured it was better to revive an old thread than start a new one - does anyone have any guidance on sizing for late-80s/90s leg pads? The same style as in the original post in this thread? 

I am considering a summer project just for fun of picking up a set of gear from that era to try out. 

5 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Figured it was better to revive an old thread than start a new one - does anyone have any guidance on sizing for late-80s/90s leg pads? The same style as in the original post in this thread? 

I am considering a summer project just for fun of picking up a set of gear from that era to try out. 

I am 6' with an ATK of 17...  I wear a 34' pair of Vaughn Vision 3500's from 1994.  And also wore a pair of 34" John Brown JB250's from 1989.

20 hours ago, Naz said:

I am 6' with an ATK of 17...  I wear a 34' pair of Vaughn Vision 3500's from 1994.  And also wore a pair of 34" John Brown JB250's from 1989.

Ok sorry I’m so confused trying to figure this out. Does that equate to the same sizing as modern pads?

Some posts online seem to indicate I would want a shorter 90s pad compared to a modern pad. I’m about 33-34 in almost all modern pads. 

4 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Ok sorry I’m so confused trying to figure this out. Does that equate to the same sizing as modern pads?

Some posts online seem to indicate I would want a shorter 90s pad compared to a modern pad. I’m about 33-34 in almost all modern pads. 

The pad would definitely fit on you shorter than a modern pad and you would actually be using the straps at the knee and thigh.  I have found that when I put a modern pad on my leg in stores, the 32" and some 33" pads sit where I am used to them.  You have to remember, that with the older pads you will be wearing the boot strap tight or tight-ish and no slack in the toes.  So your pads stay where they are.

When I get home from work this afternoon, I will throw on my pads and show you measurements etc in a few pics.  I can either PM you, or post them in this thread.

13 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Yes!!! You are Back!!!!!!

when you get a chance look at my post in the mods section about a glove refurb.  Thanks.  

You’re looking around 3 bills depending on how much stuff is replaced, but well worth it to preserve a very cool glove. She will clone it as a brand new glove, but that would cost a LOT more.

I was thinking about redoing it mostly white and adding a Nash palm. I don’t really care about cost it’s my favorite glove I’ve ever owned.  22 years later it deserves a tune up. 

I saved every penny I could  in 96 (I was 16) to buy that glove.  I think I paid 289. Which is a joke for a pro glove by today’s standards 

38 minutes ago, Mike24 said:

I was thinking about redoing it mostly white and adding a Nash palm. I don’t really care about cost it’s my favorite glove I’ve ever owned.  22 years later it deserves a tune up. 

I saved every penny I could  in 96 (I was 16) to buy that glove.  I think I paid 289. Which is a joke for a pro glove by today’s standards 

That will cost every bit of $300 plus, but you’ll be happy. 

My V-lite pro to V-heavy amateur conversion:

5344AE87-9B5A-48D2-AE97-F2736C935645.jpeg

E1708B4B-A6AD-40D4-881B-CDED283B20E6.jpeg

5222732E-5915-4FF8-A62F-424DE0250A6C.jpeg

B15BCC28-3B8D-4B3E-A1CE-B57BB55ACD3D.jpeg

E8F23DF8-D6C6-4E39-A670-3C33E7D4DE85.jpeg

B3C7790C-8079-4AAF-8BE9-4CB91DFE7568.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay getting these posted @old but slow and @Punisher Goalie  You can see there is no slack in the toe tie as you wear older pads snug and do not want them to ride up your skate or rotate on your leg.  The toes of the pad stay close to the ice.  I included some pics of the top 2 straps undone so you could see where my knee sits on the pad (it is juuust above the middle knee roll, ideally you want it smack dab on the middle knee roll)  Then also included pics so you could see how tight I wear the top straps.  The pads really do become part of your leg.

Strapping1.jpg

Strapping2.jpg

Strapping3.jpg

Strapping4.jpg

Strapping5.jpg

Strapping6.jpg

Strapping7.jpg

Strapping8.jpg

Strapping9.jpg

Strapping10.jpg

4 minutes ago, Naz said:

Sorry for the delay getting these posted @old but slow and @Punisher Goalie  You can see there is no slack in the toe tie as you wear older pads snug and do not want them to ride up your skate or rotate on your leg.  The toes of the pad stay close to the ice.  I included some pics of the top 2 straps undone so you could see where my knee sits on the pad (it is juuust above the middle knee roll, ideally you want it smack dab on the middle knee roll)  Then also included pics so you could see how tight I wear the top straps.  The pads really do become part of your leg.

Strapping1.jpg

Strapping2.jpg

Strapping3.jpg

Strapping4.jpg

Strapping5.jpg

Strapping6.jpg

Strapping7.jpg

Strapping8.jpg

Strapping9.jpg

Strapping10.jpg

You still rock this on occasion?

7 minutes ago, Naz said:

Strapping1.jpg

Strapping2.jpg

Strapping3.jpg

Strapping4.jpg

Strapping5.jpg

Strapping6.jpg

Strapping7.jpg

Strapping8.jpg

Strapping9.jpg

Strapping10.jpg

i sold these exact pads a months ago!

Just now, Doobiesnax said:

What!!!  Youre in Vancouver?  Wasnt there a toe bridge on them?

Victoria.  Yes there was, I took it off, I like the toes pulled together a little tighter, you can barely see the blue skate lace I use as a toe-tie.

Archived