Quadzilla32

Why is gear so expensive?

On 2/14/2020 at 9:22 AM, jeff da goalie said:

Simmons cuts costs by knocking off the big boys' stuff.  They are NA made but they're essentially serial intellectual property thieves.  It's easy to keep costs down when your R&D costs are "buy a pair of Vaughns.  Cut them up.  Replicate."  They also weren't the quality of the big companies.  I had a pair of Simmons that went floppy by the end of the first season.  These were senior quality at best.  You get what you paid for.

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  

To answer the original question, because people will pay for it, and because the game has grown.

I am looking at USA only, but here are some interesting numbers.

Player participation has grown over 100K over the last 20 years: https://www.usahockey.com/membershipstats

In 1998-1999, when you could buy a full pro set for $999/$289/$189, there were 401k registered players in USA Hockey.

Last year (2018-2019), 568k registered.  Growth of 167k players just in the United States. 

Inflation also plays a part.  About 2.1% annual average since 1999.  $100 in 1999 is equivalent to $150ish today.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:18 AM, Scythe said:

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  

How so?  Simmons is a blatant ripoff of the big boys.  And their products are mediocre that break down quickly.  If you'd like to counter that, other than saying what you did, do they do R&D?  (Spoiler alert:  they don't.)  And I've owned pretty much every type of gear Simmons made -- and bought from the website, not used -- and they broke down quickly or gave sub-optimal protection.  That's my experience.  Yours is apparently limited to ad hominem attacks.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, Scythe said:

I got sticker shock a few weeks ago.. wasn't goalie equipment but some musical gear.. 

Lol, what type of musical gear? I play the violin. Let me tell you just for a decent teaching instrument they run between 18,000-80,000. Found an awesome one in Ann Arbor, MI made in 1870 in Hungary , but it was 22,000.  

6 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

How so?  Simmons is a blatant ripoff of the big boys.  And their products are mediocre that break down quickly.  If you'd like to counter that, other than saying what you did, do they do R&D?  (Spoiler alert:  they don't.)  And I've owned pretty much every type of gear Simmons made -- and bought from the website, not used -- and they broke down quickly or gave sub-optimal protection.  That's my experience.  Yours is apparently limited to ad hominem attacks.

I agree.  Simmons idea of research was buying a set of Velocities and reverse engineering them.  Then attacking anyone who dared call them out on it.  I was ecstatic when they folded.