TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

Tim_TRUEHockey

On September 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

@Tim_TRUEHockey, if I want a specific cowling on the 2 piece skate, will you still it at the factory? Or is my only option to buy the boot only and get the cowling installed myself? Thanks!

You would need to provide us with the cowling so we can install it or have your local shop do it when you get the skates molded.

Same holder - made for player blades 3mm in width and if I am not mistaken where developed by Step steel!

The only difference between the player/ goalie holder is that an insert is removed and or inserted when the holders are molded to allow for the toe strap to pass. ( that is the little triangle seen under the toe area )

I don't know how you can say their different? As per Freely if you can elaborate?

• 2 weeks later...

@SaveByRichter35 Thanks. After reading this and everything else I can find on the subject, I’m settled on the two piece. All accounts are that it’s lighter, achieves the same solid custom fit, and I can change the holder and steel if I want to. I sent my tracings and order form in :)

Can’t wait to try them!

Edited by Punisher Goalie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@SaveByRichter35 Thanks. After reading this and everything else I can find on the subject, I’m settled on the two piece. All accounts are that it’s lighter, achieves the same solid custom fit, and I can change the holder and steel if I want to. I sent my tracings and order form in :)

Can’t wait to try them!

Welcome to the club! :)

On 8/23/2017 at 9:29 PM, Tim_TRUEHockey said:

I have yet to see one in my 1.5 years w/ VH/TRUE.

I have, I'll take pictures when I get home.  I used a Hi-Lo chassis with 7272 7676 set up.

Update, I now use 6868 7272. Its the closest I've felt to an ice set up. I also added helmet loops near the first two rivets to use with elastic toe ties

True Roller.jpeg

Edited by CalValce
Took me a while to get pics

• 1 month later...

After a proper bake and sharpening, I am very happy with my two piece skates. All the reviews about the custom fit are accurate, it’s totally unlike any retail skate. Would like to write a more extensive review at some point.

Only issue I’ve noticed so far - the slot for toe ties is a bit small (picture below). My Brian’s Smart Toe straps (2.0 model with the Velcro sandwich) BARELY fits through. I have a pair of HALs so I can try them but I’m not sure they will fit without some serious smushing. Obviously this is no problem with regular laces and it won’t be a problem for me when I install Pro Toe Bridges and RYNOs but I thought I’d mention it. 

9F1614DB-4615-4596-B230-1634817719C7.thumb.jpeg.dcdf089fec92a3a029031b210fe4aeb6.jpegAF5ABB8C-A2AF-450D-BF70-7FADA33DEA02.thumb.jpeg.903389c43983409f1cd791537571ae81.jpeg

• Like 1

After a proper bake and sharpening, I am very happy with my two piece skates. All the reviews about the custom fit are accurate, it’s totally unlike any retail skate. Would like to write a more extensive review at some point.

Only issue I’ve noticed so far - the slot for toe ties is a bit small (picture below). My Brian’s Smart Toe straps (2.0 model with the Velcro sandwich) BARELY fits through. I have a pair of HALs so I can try them but I’m not sure they will fit without some serious smushing. Obviously this is no problem with regular laces and it won’t be a problem for me when I install Pro Toe Bridges and RYNOs but I thought I’d mention it. 

Wow, that’s really small! 

I will likely get a pair next year. Nothing wrong with mine but really want to go cowlingless. Mine will be 3 years old at that point.

I dunno....heard more than a handful of guys in cowling-less skates getting hurt and/or feeling discomfort. The idea and technology is still new, I think I'm gonna wait on improvements on later generations of that skate. For someone like me who's had a broken foot, I can't gamble that way.

Don't go through that first hole.  Just cross the straps at the front of the skate, run down the side, and cross under the larger main hole.

52 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I dunno....heard more than a handful of guys in cowling-less skates getting hurt and/or feeling discomfort. The idea and technology is still new, I think I'm gonna wait on improvements on later generations of that skate. For someone like me who's had a broken foot, I can't gamble that way.

I have taken one hard shot to the Toe already, honestly I can say I felt nothing, just heard a loud smack, just like in my CCM cowlings. Haven’t been hit in any other areas of the skate yet. 

14 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Don't go through that first hole.  Just cross the straps at the front of the skate, run down the side, and cross under the larger main hole.

Good suggestion.