TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

Tim_TRUEHockey

2 hours ago, DL42 said:

tydan is not equivalent, massive is in line with step might even be better.  STep edge not available in states and is always on backorder for 3 months even during off season. massive has better pricpoint and quality compared to tydan who is taking advantage of step lack of distribution in the states and riding the coat tail.

now I am even more confused. If you think Tyden is the lowest end after market steel, why are you looking to get it? 

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

now I am even more confused. If you think Tyden is the lowest end after market steel, why are you looking to get it? 

I bought 3 sets thinking it was good, bc step edge was on back order, there was not any choice. I now have 2 set of massive + dlc which is couple mm taller then tydan.  The edge hold is night and day vs tydan.  Thiis is coming from a 9 skate and cag 80/160  on 1/4 roh coming in at 212lb or so.

• 2 months later...

So my son got his True skates yesterday - what a complete disappointment, as he was waiting for the skates to mold  and subsequently cool off he noticed that the section on the inside top section at the back of the foot was unglued!

HOWEVER that was nothing to what was coming - when he pulled out his feet both sections at the back of the skate where the littlre bump is to  help keep the heel in place where torn?

i am being told that the True rep saw these today and a solution will be provided within a day or two.  Does anyone use these skates with Clorino liner my local store is telling me that's only available to pros.?

9 minutes ago, Big2 said:

So my son got his True skates yesterday - what a complete disappointment, as he was waiting for the skates to mold  and subsequently cool off he noticed that the section on the inside top section at the back of the foot was unglued!

HOWEVER that was nothing to what was coming - when he pulled out his feet both sections at the back of the skate where the littlre bump is to  help keep the heel in place where torn?

i am being told that the True rep saw these today and a solution will be provided within a day or two.  Does anyone use these skates with Clorino liner my local store is telling me that's only available to pros.?

They`re a custom only manufacturer. Shouldn`t it be available to everyone?

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, Big2 said:

So GOOD NEWS - True are shipping the skates back to be repaired we should have them back by Wednesday of next week!

Quick service - will wait and see regarding the repair hopefully this will the last issue I have with the skates

4 hours ago, Big2 said:

So GOOD NEWS - True are shipping the skates back to be repaired we should have them back by Wednesday of next week!

Quick service - will wait and see regarding the repair hopefully this will the last issue I have with the skates

Disappointing news for one of the most premium products on the market, but glad to hear you are being supported! Issues happen, correcting them is key. 

Just when I thought I was close to getting my skates any day now I finally received an update from True. I had originally ordered these in late August in hopes of having them by my birthday last weekend as a present to myself. It was definitely painful not receiving any updates since Sept 4th then finding out they just started production on mine today.

In defense of True, I completely understand this has been the “busy season” for them with the season starting and pros getting priority. But was informed the wait time during the busy season was 4-5 weeks. We’ll see if this is going to take a total of 7-8 weeks or longer.

I guess this is good practice for my patience if I’m going to wait 14 weeks for a Brian’s custom set! 

64E62B54-141A-43F5-B47E-62B29A45D2E8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 6:19 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Disappointing news for one of the most premium products on the market, but glad to hear you are being supported! Issues happen, correcting them is key. 

So after the initial issues and subsequent repair we got my son’s True 2 piece skates earlier this week. Today he was able to skate in them -  he spent about 2.5 hours skating and acting as a shooter at a goalie school he attends.

So the first thing - skates are extremely comfortable, just as an FYI his Bauer Reactor 9000 he had for about 2 years and he found that his True skates where already more comfortable!

Initially he had a hard time with shuffles, It got better as the time on went on - will ask him how his week goes with his team practices go this week. Might have to reduce the current cut selection.

He has two weeks of no games and a practice with his coach - look forward to getting some feedback later on this week and seeing him on the ice next weekend!

• 4 months later...

Bump.

I'm an older goalie (60) play a modern down game and I've had people tell me that True 2-piece will allow for easier down pushes taking strain off the hip and others tell me the high attack angle while in stance is murder on the hips.

I realize both these things can be true and looking for some feedback.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, Old Swiss said:

Bump.

I'm an older goalie (60) play a modern down game and I've had people tell me that True 2-piece will allow for easier down pushes taking strain off the hip and others tell me the high attack angle while in stance is murder on the hips.

In my experience, the higher attack angle in stance only reeks havoc if you take advantage of it and widen your stance. Otherwise the benefits while down out way the negative while standing.  Keep in mind, I'm vertically challenged and don't have to widen my stance to drop quickly.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, Old Swiss said:

Bump.

If you're worried about hip strain, you should invest in a bungee toe tie system. Makes way more of a different than any holder height.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 2:54 PM, Aquilzz said:

If you're worried about hip strain, you should invest in a bungee toe tie system. Makes way more of a different than any holder height.

I'll second this.  Bungee type toe ties have been a huge help over the last couple years in dealing with my knee/hip soreness.

Quick rant. Stopped by a big box LHS yesterday to get scanned for True 1 piece. Huge True display, w display skates for all models, goalie included. Was told by associate and manager that they don’t have the capability to scan there. So I naturally asked, so what happens every other time someone comes in wanted to buy True skates? No answer. Unreal. I’d be livid if  I were tied to True brand.

• Like 1

Got scanned for a 2-piece on Monday when I was in the area for work. Now the wait!

I tried on all the brands of skates in the store, including the "stock" True in my size. Compared to my current Grafs, True was the only one as comfortable - in fact, the True skates I tried on in the store were even more comfortable than my current well-loved and well-used ones. It will be an interesting transition to both a cowlingless and taller skate, but I'm excited for it.

1 hour ago, Teezle said:

Got scanned for a 2-piece on Monday when I was in the area for work. Now the wait!

I tried on all the brands of skates in the store, including the "stock" True in my size. Compared to my current Grafs, True was the only one as comfortable - in fact, the True skates I tried on in the store were even more comfortable than my current well-loved and well-used ones. It will be an interesting transition to both a cowlingless and taller skate, but I'm excited for it.

Congrats! Can you maybe shed some light on True sizing? Sneaker size vs Graf vs True?

I ask because I tried on an 8 True and they were too small but I just heard True doesn’t make half sizes?

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

Congrats! Can you maybe shed some light on True sizing? Sneaker size vs Graf vs True?

I ask because I tried on an 8 True and they were too small but I just heard True doesn’t make half sizes?

They don't make stock half-sizes - there is an insert at the end of toe on the inside that can be removed (or added?) to make a skate into the half-size. As far as I am aware, the custom skates are custom to your size, whatever that may be.

True sizing seems similar to Graf, but runs maybe a little smaller. For reference, I am 5'7", 165 lbs, and wear a size 8-8.5 men's shoe and a size 6.5 Graf skate. I tried on a stock True size 7 (they didn't have a stock size 6 in the store) and it fit quite well. There was a small amount of extra room, but a size 6.5 True would have been just a bit too small, so I'd say a size 6.75 True is equivalent to a size 6.5 Graf.

• Thanks 1

Just curious if anyone knows if just buying the boot is still an option.  I was at my local PHL today the guy there didn't seem to think so, but they've been wrong before.

I promised my kid that once his feet stop growing I'd get him 2 piece skates.  He's been in the same 190s for two season now so its probably True time.  I was thinking about him using his existing vertex holder (with this Tydan blades).  That is of course assuming the sizing matches up.

Any vertex users try the true holder and flip back?  Maybe I'll just get the true holders and hold off on selling the old skates until he decides...

How does the size of that step blade compare to the Tydan DLC?