TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

Tim_TRUEHockey

I have one piece skates and with as many skate saves as I make they’re holding up amazingly. The only issue with them that’s my fault is when replacing the blades I accidentally broke the glue or whatever is in the holder hold the blades in tighter so now there’s a little play but it’s not noticeable on ice at all. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 3:28 PM, RichMan said:

Are the off the shelf True 2 piece skates good enough for the genaral public? Do they compare to the non-custom 1S and 1X lines? Do they sit that much higher? 

I would trust off the shelf Bauer, but only due to the fact they've been in retail longer to offer a skate at that level, nothing against True. But the off the shelf True's would be fine for the general public, since they are offered to the general public. If the skate works for you then that's all that matters.

I just got a pair of the TF9 forward skates and the fit/finish is so much better than what's on my custom goalie skates.   Quality-wise they feel as well built, but they're not nearly as comfortable (no real surprise, I have really wide feet).  Due to some jagoff running me and spraining the MCL in one leg and my ankle in the other I haven't been on the ice to try them out since they showed up, but I'll report back once I feel up to skating. 

On 10/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, RichMan said:

Are the off the shelf True 2 piece skates good enough for the genaral public? Do they compare to the non-custom 1S and 1X lines? Do they sit that much higher? 

Looking for clarification here, as True does not currently offer a retail goalie skate. 

I'm guessing it's old stock, which they briefly made available a few years ago - if that's the case I'd recommend going to Bauer.

I wrote a bit about my two piece experience here, and I distinctly remember trying on the 1S before I got my feet scanned...so I'm advocated Bauer over these.

Bottom line, loved the fit but had a lot of other issues that eventually helped open my wallet up

Still love the one piece skates which I'm currently in (received late summer 2020)

• 1 year later...

I'm aware that I'm saying this several years after your responses, but the answers here are still relevant to helping me make a decision for which skates I should get and just wanted to say thank you. So thank you!

I'm just a lowly tow truck operator getting back into goal tending with my buddies, so this info was highly informative.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Can anyone share their experience of riding 1 piece and 2 piece? How much difference is there in the height of the skate and the inclination of the holder? Will the transition from 2 pieces to 1 piece be smooth or will it take some getting used to?

I will be grateful for any feedback

4 hours ago, ser33 said:

Can anyone share their experience of riding 1 piece and 2 piece? How much difference is there in the height of the skate and the inclination of the holder? Will the transition from 2 pieces to 1 piece be smooth or will it take some getting used to?

One piece use less energy transfer and the pitch of the skate itself is more neutral than the two piece. Attack angle is also different given the height difference between the blades and boot. One piece only come in 4mm steel, while you can get 3mm or 4mm for two piece. 

15 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

One piece use less energy transfer and the pitch of the skate itself is more neutral than the two piece. Attack angle is also different given the height difference between the blades and boot. One piece only come in 4mm steel, while you can get 3mm or 4mm for two piece. 

Yes, I know these nuances. I'm more interested in the difference in sensations from the interaction of my feet with skates and ice.
in any case, thank you very much for your response

1 hour ago, ser33 said:

Yes, I know these nuances. I'm more interested in the difference in sensations from the interaction of my feet with skates and ice.
in any case, thank you very much for your response

I personally felt more stability in the 1 piece due to its completely rigid construction. I feel rivets will have a tendency to flex a little with the plastic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2023 at 7:15 AM, ser33 said:

For me I like being closer to the ice. You may feel a little flatter footed because they aren’t pitched forward so it will be up to you find your balance point.

For me the best part of being lower to the ice is less stress on my hips and knee when I recover to my feet. I’ve played around with taller steel and taller holders, which may make catching your edge and pushing slightly easier when you’re already in your butterfly. Hopefully yup can imagine this in your head, when I was recovering, since my blade is taller and my holder is taller, therefore my knee is now higher then my old skates when I start to recover to my feet. Since switching into the one piece 4-5 years ago I’ve noticed my hips and knees feel much better. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2023 at 3:15 AM, ser33 said:

1 hour ago, RedX said:

For me I like being closer to the ice. You may feel a little flatter footed because they aren’t pitched forward so it will be up to you find your balance point.

For me the best part of being lower to the ice is less stress on my hips and knee when I recover to my feet. I’ve played around with taller steel and taller holders, which may make catching your edge and pushing slightly easier when you’re already in your butterfly. Hopefully yup can imagine this in your head, when I was recovering, since my blade is taller and my holder is taller, therefore my knee is now higher then my old skates when I start to recover to my feet. Since switching into the one piece 4-5 years ago I’ve noticed my hips and knees feel much better. 

I think I did a comparison of 1pc vs 2pc (Bauer Holder) a few years ago.  IIRC Bauer holder is .25 in the forefoot and .5" higher in the heel?

I never got used to the height on the 2pc, always felt like my weight was up higher than I wanted.  Probably partly a mental thing.  Went from cowling > 2pc > 1pc and really love the feel of the 1pc. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RedX said:

thanks for your response! You're not the first to talk about reducing stress on your hips and I'm inclined to trust your experience. The last time I was closer to the ice with the “flatfoot effect” was on Koho 260 10 years ago. and my body has long forgotten this feeling)) since then only Vertex and recently also with a blade increased in height. this combination transferred to my True 2 pieces. The angle of attack is such that when pushing out of the butterfly I almost don’t have to lift my knee off the ice.

I really liked the Truee boots and would like to try 1 piece of them. but the transition worries me. how quickly can I adapt and how will this affect my game?

Lately my thighs have started to hurt in the upper part around the hip joint, and reading your review as well, I’m starting to think that it’s not just old age, but the height of the skate has begun to influence it

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I think I did a comparison of 1pc vs 2pc (Bauer Holder) a few years ago.  IIRC Bauer holder is .25 in the forefoot and .5" higher in the heel?

I never got used to the height on the 2pc, always felt like my weight was up higher than I wanted.  Probably partly a mental thing.  Went from cowling > 2pc > 1pc and really love the feel of the 1pc. 

Before asking my stupid question, I read everything that is on this board on this issue. and your comparison is one of the first. For which special thanks to you! I assume that you switched to 2 pieces from a regular holder equivalent to 1 piece, so the transition was difficult. I have the opposite situation). I'm not worried about the quality and durability of True, I know how to bring things back to life. but the main question is the difficulty of the transition. In any case, the trigger is pulled and the skates are coming towards me. I don’t know what will happen next. I hope I can get used to it and won't have to sell them in disappointment.

1 hour ago, ser33 said:

Before asking my stupid question, I read everything that is on this board on this issue. and your comparison is one of the first. For which special thanks to you! I assume that you switched to 2 pieces from a regular holder equivalent to 1 piece, so the transition was difficult. I have the opposite situation). I'm not worried about the quality and durability of True, I know how to bring things back to life. but the main question is the difficulty of the transition. In any case, the trigger is pulled and the skates are coming towards me. I don’t know what will happen next. I hope I can get used to it and won't have to sell them in disappointment.

To answer your question, going from True 2pc to True 1pc was an easy transition for me.
Had a slight challenge with fighting the right hollow.  I would either get 3/8 or 7/16" with 2pc, have since taken it down to 9/16 or 5/8".
You'll be going from a 3mm wide blade with 2pc to 4mm wide with 1pc, plus the lack of flex between outsole and holder.  The skate "feels" sharper at a shallower cut.
To contrast, it probably took me 5-8 skates to get comfortable from cowling to 2pc.
Most annoying thing with the 1pc is the steel farts/howls when you hard stop

Also highly recommend you skip lacing the top eyelet on these.

I found my old post:
Forefoot: 7/16" higher on 2pc
Rear: 9/16" higher on 2pc

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

To answer your question, going from True 2pc to True 1pc was an easy transition for me.
Had a slight challenge with fighting the right hollow.  I would either get 3/8 or 7/16" with 2pc, have since taken it down to 9/16 or 5/8".
You'll be going from a 3mm wide blade with 2pc to 4mm wide with 1pc, plus the lack of flex between outsole and holder.  The skate "feels" sharper at a shallower cut.
To contrast, it probably took me 5-8 skates to get comfortable from cowling to 2pc.
Most annoying thing with the 1pc is the steel farts/howls when you hard stop

I appreciate your input. I have heard quite a lot about farts/screams and have personally experienced them on my homemade skates (if you read my thread about them), although they are made as 2 pieces, they are much stiffer than 2 pieces of True. and when I was freshly sharpening, I scared the whole skating rink with these sounds. lol p.s. I meant your transition from previous skates to 2 pieces

Also, please tell me these sharpening numbers (3/8, 9/16, etc.) - is this the diameter or radius of the circle of the depth of the hole on the blade? We just have a different system for assessing sharpening depth and I would like to compare it with it

Edited by ser33

9 hours ago, ser33 said:

I appreciate your input. I have heard quite a lot about farts/screams and have personally experienced them on my homemade skates (if you read my thread about them), although they are made as 2 pieces, they are much stiffer than 2 pieces of True. and when I was freshly sharpening, I scared the whole skating rink with these sounds. lol p.s. I meant your transition from previous skates to 2 pieces

Also, please tell me these sharpening numbers (3/8, 9/16, etc.) - is this the diameter or radius of the circle of the depth of the hole on the blade? We just have a different system for assessing sharpening depth and I would like to compare it with it

5/8 on 4mm in the one piece felt way sharper and had more bite than 1/2 does on my 3mm 2 piece. But now I'm going to try 4mm steel on my 2 piece before I make my final determination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I am currently in a pair of stock TF9s which I have come to really like.  They are however falling apart on me.  I have used the 4mm and 3mm steel, and I prefer the 3mm, as it gives me more control on my sides and movement.  Based on that information, would I be a better candidate for the one piece of the two.  I am leaning toward the 2 piece but can't seem to make up my mind.

2 hours ago, Teezle said:

Any information that can be shared about the upcoming True goalie skate? I am looking to refresh my skates next year and am trying to decide between the new 1-piece skate or waiting for the new model. 

The new model will be a contender to the konekt. That's all I can say. 

4 hours ago, Anthony said:

I am currently in a pair of stock TF9s which I have come to really like.  They are however falling apart on me.  I have used the 4mm and 3mm steel, and I prefer the 3mm, as it gives me more control on my sides and movement.  Based on that information, would I be a better candidate for the one piece of the two.  I am leaning toward the 2 piece but can't seem to make up my mind.

The one piece only come in 4mm.