What’s in a pad

TheGoalNet

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Looks like a mix of foam and composite...the "pink" foam above looks like standard blown polystyrene which backs up a carbon fiber composite face.

Im sure they use different types of foams/different densities to achieve the flex/stiffness they need.

I wonder how much is hardcore engineering vs. Trial and error.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UCLALabrat said:

Looks like a mix of foam and composite...the "pink" foam above looks like standard blown polystyrene which backs up a carbon fiber composite face.

Im sure they use different types of foams/different densities to achieve the flex/stiffness they need.

I wonder how much is hardcore engineering vs. Trial and error.

Likely really depends on the brand or inherent budget allowed on a macro scale. Typically Trial and Error methodology is easier to approve when dealing with tighter budgets since they won't want to approve larger cost items up front, even if it could have been a cheaper pill to swallow up front. I'd suppose bigger brands can lean more in their engineering stuff with larger capital behind it (Bauer, CCM, maybe Warrior since they've got that New Balance money).

• Like 1

Yeah i agree but i was thinking more to the extent of rigorous testing under certain parameters to evaluate things like flex, rebound extent, etc. Vs straight garage engineering.

Using a formal DoE approach can be very cheap as well if done right, just depends on the background of the designers/company culture.

• Like 1