Seeking Custom Gear Input/Recos

BCZ

I'm looking to make the leap into custom gear. I'm currently in SLR 1s (32+2) with VE8 mitts (used to have VE8 pads as well, but really disliked them). Looking for input on moving into a new company; I've been looking at Bauer or Brians - particularly because custom options allow for a smaller palm on the mitts. I've read that while Vapor is more of a hybrid pad - it still kicks out some big rebounds (also - I wear a 2x pro c/a, and figure the same ecosystem ensures a better fit). I've tried the strapping on the Vapors and find it very comfortable. I've also heard a lot of good things about the O2 mitts and the max core. Seeking additional input before I throw down $3k on pads. Thanks in advance for all your help. 

3 hours ago, BCZ said:

I'm looking to make the leap into custom gear. I'm currently in SLR 1s (32+2) with VE8 mitts (used to have VE8 pads as well, but really disliked them). Looking for input on moving into a new company; I've been looking at Bauer or Brians - particularly because custom options allow for a smaller palm on the mitts. I've read that while Vapor is more of a hybrid pad - it still kicks out some big rebounds (also - I wear a 2x pro c/a, and figure the same ecosystem ensures a better fit). I've tried the strapping on the Vapors and find it very comfortable. I've also heard a lot of good things about the O2 mitts and the max core. Seeking additional input before I throw down $3k on pads. Thanks in advance for all your help. 

I'm a hybrid style as well but my next set will be the max core. love the gloves when i tried them, and the pads strapping is exactly the same as gnetik iv. they also have an optional prof strap that you could attach, i don't know if i will need it tho. also the pad shape has a very unique look as they have a huge curve from the knee up and doesn't really look like the traditional "s" curve look.

something ive been doing is watching goalies like raanta, dell, or seshtyorkin. they all use optik 2 so i like to see the way they play in the pad to see if they resemble me at all. I'm not basing my decision off of what pro uses them and I'm not saying you should, but it helps to see how the pads play in game and what better to watch than the NHL

4 hours ago, BCZ said:

Vapors are hardly a "Hybrid" pad... True Hybrid Pads are Brian's Heritage, Kenesky Retro or Brown.  Newer lines are soft or stiff.  And the the big stiffness difference is in torsional flex:

Image result for torsional flex goalie

I was in Warrior GT Pros (No Hypercomp) and they played like an older style pad.  Foams were still firm, there was no shrinkage on my set, but I wanted something more stiff, flawless seal with bigger rebounds.  I had a chance to demo a 2X Pro set and realized very quickly that they were too stiff overall for my liking.  I considered GT2 and Gnetik IV (with HD foam upgrade) but @TGC-Rance really helped me go with the Optik 2 Max Core.  I ended up moving down in size (Warrior 33+1.5 to a 32+2 in Optik 2) and likely could have gone less on the thigh rise.  They are the most stable butterfly pads I've used and Primo seems to be the prime choice for sliding material on any ice surface.  My big change was going with a skinned Gnetik IV glove.  I didn't have a chance to try on an Optik 2 before ordering but the IV is one of the best gloves for break, closure and design I've used (Lifetime TPS guy... Bionic, Summit... Then into Smith/Warrior Gloves and the IV beats them all).

Brians is also the custom kings and would be able to accommodate most requests.  Their upcharges depend on the labour required to makes changes to thhe stock design.  My best recommendation is to find a retailer that can walk you thru a custom order, and pound for pound The Goalie Crease in Toronto can't be beat.  They do a ton of custom work with Brians as well.

This is my set... If you have any other questions:

image.png.fbff1ee012adfea82fb91b27cdccd68a.png

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Vapors are hardly a "Hybrid" pad... True Hybrid Pads are Brian's Heritage, Kenesky Retro or Brown.  Newer lines are soft or stiff.  And the the big stiffness difference is in torsional flex:

Image result for torsional flex goalie

I was in Warrior GT Pros (No Hypercomp) and they played like an older style pad.  Foams were still firm, there was no shrinkage on my set, but I wanted something more stiff, flawless seal with bigger rebounds.  I had a chance to demo a 2X Pro set and realized very quickly that they were too stiff overall for my liking.  I considered GT2 and Gnetik IV (with HD foam upgrade) but @TGC-Rance really helped me go with the Optik 2 Max Core.  I ended up moving down in size (Warrior 33+1.5 to a 32+2 in Optik 2) and likely could have gone less on the thigh rise.  They are the most stable butterfly pads I've used and Primo seems to be the prime choice for sliding material on any ice surface.  My big change was going with a skinned Gnetik IV glove.  I didn't have a chance to try on an Optik 2 before ordering but the IV is one of the best gloves for break, closure and design I've used (Lifetime TPS guy... Bionic, Summit... Then into Smith/Warrior Gloves and the IV beats them all).

Brians is also the custom kings and would be able to accommodate most requests.  Their upcharges depend on the labour required to makes changes to thhe stock design.  My best recommendation is to find a retailer that can walk you thru a custom order, and pound for pound The Goalie Crease in Toronto can't be beat.  They do a ton of custom work with Brians as well.

This is my set... If you have any other questions:

image.png.fbff1ee012adfea82fb91b27cdccd68a.png

My question is when are you gonna be selling me those?

Archived