The "Official" Beer League Championship Thread

SaveByRichter35

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

For the summer season I played on a team in Advanced in addition to the team I've played on in Intermediate for three seasons now. Was fortunate enough to win the Championship in both divisions... on my birthday no less. Games were back to back. I was tired.

65F4FD3F-36B0-48D3-8DB3-513D3FD69C41_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b66f8eefee329011ffe38b60ccb7f31a.jpeg

11BD58E3-5CF0-477D-9855-4B58D52A3243_1_201_a.jpeg.8525f08a2c596c6322b6c5de55a8a941.jpeg

Awesome man, nice work and Happy Birthday.  Congrats on getting the big win in the Advanced division. 

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You look confused as to where you are in the first one. :giggle:

Yeah, playing in the advanced division takes all my energy to keep up. Lots of adrenaline. I was out of breath after that game and didn’t regain it until part way through the first period of the second game. Not a surprise that I look dazed. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

During the regular season I was the backup goalie for this team, and ended up starting all of the playoff games because the starter couldn't make any. A lot faster than I was used to, it took me a couple games to get acclimated. Such an amazing confidence boost though, knowing I can find success at higher levels.

240396119_3114788135464163_2427213573675817955_n.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

During the regular season I was the backup goalie for this team, and ended up starting all of the playoff games because the starter couldn't make any. A lot faster than I was used to, it took me a couple games to get acclimated. Such an amazing confidence boost though, knowing I can find success at higher levels.

Congrats! I seem to find that at least to a point, the better the hockey is, the better I play. Things just happen the way they should, guys actually know where their shots are going to go and such. 

1 hour ago, insertnamehere said:

Congrats! I seem to find that at least to a point, the better the hockey is, the better I play. Things just happen the way they should, guys actually know where their shots are going to go and such. 

The hockey I usually play is fast/skilled enough that I don't usually end up with that "unpredictable" hockey. Regular, mid-level Canadian rec, guys who played house league growing up but never went anywhere. I can keep a GAA of ~2.0 and a Sv% over .920 on my regular team without much trouble.

The Whalers were in the Open Division, so guys who played high-level junior/major junior and the like. Players that are skilled enough, and shoot hard enough, that sometimes... you just get beat. Even if you play out of your mind.

But for me, who only started playing net five-ish years ago, it's great to know that I can be a good - not necessarily fantastic - goalie against guys that have been playing that higher level hockey longer than I've even been goaltending.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Congrats man well done.

Awesome to get that win up there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We were able to win the title again. This one was as surprising as any. The rest of the league has been improving every season. We had troubles during the season including a rotating roster due to injuries and other availability issues. We had a locker room blowup after an OT loss, but it turned into a turning point. We had a lot of OT games during the season which was key because in both the semifinals and finals, we went to OT In both. In fact at no time in either the semifinals or finals did we lead the game. In the semifinals game, we were down 3-1 and tied it with less than a minute. Then we played five minute OTs 3 on 3 except during penalties. We scored toward the end of the third OT. In the finals game, we would go down one, tie it and repeat that pattern including tying the game with a little more than a minute left. For some reason they decided to do one five minute OT 3 on 3, then go to a five round shootout. We scored one and they scored none. So our season and playoffs were pretty damn epic 😂F8DB3273-419E-477C-9870-D8379BC18D06.thumb.jpeg.cae782c21e1d1010eb791a8fa525b16d.jpeg
The trophy was pulled out of storage as it was used in a previous incarnation of the league at a different now defunct building.  It has teams and players from league winners engraved on it. Perhaps, it will be engraved with current league champions moving forward.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

First beer league championship for me this past weekend! Won MVP of the Playoffs, too!

Definitely a game to remember. I stopped a penalty shot in the 2nd period of the game to preserve our 1-goal lead, along with a save in the last few seconds of the game. We ended up winning 4-3. 

Feels good man.

80364410_2022SNHLLeagueChampions-TeamPic-Oilers.thumb.jpg.367a75320a8c8e73e786a47e22a0763f.jpg

Edited by creasecollector
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

First beer league championship for me this past weekend! Won MVP of the Playoffs, too!

Definitely a game to remember. I stopped a penalty shot in the 2nd period of the game to preserve our 1-goal lead, along with a save in the last few seconds of the game. We ended up winning 4-3. 

Feels good man.

80364410_2022SNHLLeagueChampions-TeamPic-Oilers.thumb.jpg.367a75320a8c8e73e786a47e22a0763f.jpg

Good shit CC!  Congratulations

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

We have another championship game this Wednesday night but I am stuck at work.  Trying to get a shift swap or swap days off.  Not looking good though.  This is our 3rd straight in 3 seasons since becoming a team.  0-2 so far.

Your English cousin is coming in to get a new kidney and your (close-ish) relative is giving it to him.

You’re welcome ;)

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Your English cousin is coming in to get a new kidney and your (close-ish) relative is giving it to him.

You’re welcome ;)

Lol.  I can't just take off for the game.  I mean, I could, I have the time.  I just can't afford to waste it on a beer league game.  I need it for everyday life and for travel games in case they pop up.

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Lol.  I can't just take off for the game.  I mean, I could, I have the time.  I just can't afford to waste it on a beer league game.  I need it for everyday life and for travel games in case they pop up.

I get it. 

Just trying to do my duty as the problem solver/smart alleck in the house.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We won our championship last night, beating the first place team in our division 5-3 after beating them 2 rounds ago 4-2. They wooped our asses all season long so it was awesome to get these wins in the playoffs.  

@SaveByRichter35 this entrance is for you, buddy. 

We got a sweet trophy plaque with a Kraken puck in it and a legit beer mug...and there is a bar upstairs, how convenient.  Epic night of drinking and good times celebrating our 2nd season as a team. 

20220418_221053.jpg

20220418_215629.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, seagoal said:

We won our championship last night, beating the first place team in our division 5-3 after beating them 2 rounds ago 4-2. They wooped our asses all season long so it was awesome to get these wins in the playoffs.  

We got a sweet trophy plaque with a Kraken puck in it and a legit beer mug...and there is a bar upstairs, how convenient.  Epic night of drinking and good times celebrating our 2nd season as a team. 

20220418_221053.jpg

20220418_215629.jpg

Slick sty, slick slide. Congrats on the championship win! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seagoal said:

Thanks, it was so fun.  I was late to the photo trying to get my glove off, but it gave my whole time to fix their hair, haha.  

If by "fix their hair" you mean attempt to "reconfigure" sweaty, matted strands to better cover bald(ing) spots - I can relate. 😆

Congrats on the win and the swag.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

20220418_221053.jpg

20220418_215629.jpg

You guys got beer mugs!!  That's awesome.  Congrats on the win brother.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 7:29 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

We have another championship game this Wednesday night but I am stuck at work.  Trying to get a shift swap or swap days off.  Not looking good though.  This is our 3rd straight in 3 seasons since becoming a team.  0-2 so far.

On 4/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

They won without me
 Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU