Deep Dive: CCM Axis

TheGoalNet

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks for getting these videos up... I had ordered an Axis set w/o ever touching them... and while I know I won't be disappointed this just helps confirms I made the right choice for me. I'm certainly no pro... but would also echo your note about the glove being the bridge to getting into gear. I gave up my 2X Pro because of the glove and wasn't sure I'd even like the UltraSonic... so I went back to CCM 580 as I KNOW I like it... and the rest of the gear will fall into place as well no doubt. 

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Thanks for getting these videos up... I had ordered an Axis set w/o ever touching them... and while I know I won't be disappointed this just helps confirms I made the right choice for me. I'm certainly no pro... but would also echo your note about the glove being the bridge to getting into gear. I gave up my 2X Pro because of the glove and wasn't sure I'd even like the UltraSonic... so I went back to CCM 580 as I KNOW I like it... and the rest of the gear will fall into place as well no doubt. 

I went to Dukes here and no 580 glove. Really wanted to try it. 

In other news I got my foot scanned by ccm rep, damn my feet suck!

On 6/19/2020 at 8:27 PM, netminder said:

Great info. I remember a time where i tried to tell others there is huge differences between the new Axis pads thats replacing the Premier 2 and I was balked at. Its ok, those kids will learn to understand facts are different from opinions one day , lol

Dude, seriously, you're STILL on about this?  As a reminder you DIDN'T simply say that there were "huge differences" between Axis and Premier 2 (there aren't by the way) your claim was that the Axis line was the most revolutionary line of 2020.   I believe the exact quote was "Its probably the MOST changed line of pads in 2020 out of every line, maybe in the past 3 straight years combined. "  

News flash:  Axis isn't even CLOSE.  Axis is a Premier pad with the exact same evolutionary tweaks that other mfg's are making.   They're thinner, lighter, have a firmer inner edge and kick out rebounds harder.   Guess what?   Optik 2, G5 and Ultrasonic can all say the same.  The Axis is nothing more than a thinned out Premier with a flat inner surface (which every other mfg has done for years) and a softer boot.  Don't get me wrong, the Axis set I used worked great, but having used P2 and EF4 as well as Warrior GT2 and G5 in the last couple years it didn't do anything that would qualify it as the most revolutionary pad of our time or anything even close to that. 

@TheGoalNet I believe you mentioned that once Axis was released you'd be able to outline the differences between Axis and Bernier's "EF4" pads from early in the season.  Other than the binding and square outer roll they look pretty much bang on for an Axis set, so I'd love to hear what I'm missing.

Anyone know why they went away from the rounded medial roll and beveled medial calf wedge? I thought it was one of the most stable pads in the butterfly when I tried the P2 on in store. If they had made a pad that was a combination of the soft, flatter boot like the EF4, but with the sliding surface/medial part of the pad like the P2, that would basically have been my ideal pad. And Bauer has implemented the bevel on the Ultrasonic line now, so it seems like they're going in different directions with what is considered "innovation" by each company.

23 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Our CCM rep said they went to the flat inner gusset so they could firm up that area.  In testing the firmer round edge didn't perform as well as the flat surface from a durability standpoint.

This is correct. They wanted to firm up that area for faster sliding. I also believe it's as simple as most pro guys are gravitating to the flat inner edge, like EFlex

On 6/20/2020 at 9:13 PM, Puckstopper said:

@TheGoalNet I believe you mentioned that once Axis was released you'd be able to outline the differences between Axis and Bernier's "EF4" pads from early in the season.  Other than the binding and square outer roll they look pretty much bang on for an Axis set, so I'd love to hear what I'm missing.

From memory, I don't think 90% of goalies knew the Lefevre split was coming? Bernier's pad had nothing to do with Axis, just coincidence they looked similar. Lefevre and CCM were already going their own separate ways by the time that pad was built.

Bernier's pads were literally a EFlex without at the knee rolls, the X Stiff (pro only core), and, I believe. Max rebound foam. They didn't have the new core material of the Axis, they didn't have the hardened inner edge, they didn't have the molded calf wrap, they didn't have the new face material.

On 6/20/2020 at 10:13 PM, Puckstopper said:

Dude, seriously, you're STILL on about this?  As a reminder you DIDN'T simply say that there were "huge differences" between Axis and Premier 2 (there aren't by the way) your claim was that the Axis line was the most revolutionary line of 2020.   I believe the exact quote was "Its probably the MOST changed line of pads in 2020 out of every line, maybe in the past 3 straight years combined. "  

News flash:  Axis isn't even CLOSE.  Axis is a Premier pad with the exact same evolutionary tweaks that other mfg's are making.   They're thinner, lighter, have a firmer inner edge and kick out rebounds harder.   Guess what?   Optik 2, G5 and Ultrasonic can all say the same.  The Axis is nothing more than a thinned out Premier with a flat inner surface (which every other mfg has done for years) and a softer boot.  Don't get me wrong, the Axis set I used worked great, but having used P2 and EF4 as well as Warrior GT2 and G5 in the last couple years it didn't do anything that would qualify it as the most revolutionary pad of our time or anything even close to that. 

Only thing I'd add to what I bolded is that not only is the boot softer, but it's an EF boot break angle. While it may seem like something trivial it's actually one of the reasons I went back to CCM. I love the combination of soft boot break at a 90 degree (give or take), and to your point that's what many manufacturers have gone to. My 2X Pro were great in that regard, and now I can get a similar offering from CCM, along with the all important matching glove in a glorious 580 break. 

If I didn't have a matchy concern and CCM only offered Axis is a steep boot then I may have gone back to Bauer with a CCM glove. Truth be told, we're in an age now where once you decide to go custom with a pad... specs are pretty much like building with Lego. Take what you want from one and slap it onto what you like from another. Bauer has probably blurred those lines the most from an online customizer perspective (Brians of course has been like that for quite some time but less online etc.) and it's nice for me to finally have a CCM pad that provides big rebounds with the rest of the pad that way I like to go along with my 580 disability.

• 1 month later...

For the first time I tried on a 580 axis yesterday and honestly I don’t see the hype around it. Sure it’s a great glove and if I used axis that’s probably what I’d get but to me it felt pretty similar and I a warrior 90 degree which I guess is the whole idea. I’m surprised they felt so similarly

Just now, ThatCarGuy said:

For the first time I tried on a 580 axis yesterday and honestly I don’t see the hype around it. Sure it’s a great glove and if I used axis that’s probably what I’d get but to me it felt pretty similar and I a warrior 90 degree which I guess is the whole idea. I’m surprised they felt so similarly

580 and 590 are pretty similar. That’s why most goalies can jump from one to the other. For whatever reason, 580 looks and feels bigger. I think that’s why many guys gravitate toward it. 

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

And another one...

Interesting to see that the axis glove doesn't deviate almost at all from the previous iterations. I know you touched on it with their gloves being a market favourite, but I was kind of expecting more? 

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

580 and 590 are pretty similar. That’s why most goalies can jump from one to the other. For whatever reason, 580 looks and feels bigger. I think that’s why many guys gravitate toward it. 

Is that actually the case? I'm an avid 75 break guy and can use a 590 if necessary, but that 580 break is just something else entirely. 

14 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Interesting to see that the axis glove doesn't deviate almost at all from the previous iterations. I know you touched on it with their gloves being a market favourite, but I was kind of expecting more? 

Is that actually the case? I'm an avid 75 break guy and can use a 590 if necessary, but that 580 break is just something else entirely. 

- Change Much - I didn't weigh the gloves and it could be lighter, but yes, the glove is the sorta iteration you'd expect between like an EF4 and EF5. It is not as "new" as the pads or blocker

- Break - That is how CCM describes it and I can agree with it. I could use either and better happy. I think glove breaks are the biggest matter of opinion in goaltending though. Brands will even say "Yes, that's our 60 deg break, but it's honestly doesn't feel that much like a 590".

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Man do I agree with this!   The 580 is so hard for me to do anything with other than stickhandle (although it's spectacular at that!).  Actually catching the puck and closing the glove properly requires so much thought and concentration compared to the baseball style closure I prefer.  

• 1 month later...

Sorry... was linking a post in this thread to help answer a question in my own review and came across your comments on 580...

On 7/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

I have a buddy who has a Warrior (don't recall the model) w/ the 90 degree insert and having been a 580 damn near since it's inception, the Warrior felt really strange to me. Like it closed using more of the all fingers to palm (like giving a thumbs up) but the actual feel of the glove was night and day different to me. Which of course it would give the differences in internals I suppose. My point is I couldn't switch over to a Warrior 90 degree and not think twice about it... just doesn't have the feel.

On 7/26/2020 at 6:59 PM, Puckstopper said:

Man do I agree with this!   The 580 is so hard for me to do anything with other than stickhandle (although it's spectacular at that!).  Actually catching the puck and closing the glove properly requires so much thought and concentration compared to the baseball style closure I prefer.  

I'm literally the exact opposite. To be fair I stick handle like I have feet for hands to begin with... but I can catch all day with a 580. Again, always goes back to what you're used to and know. The way I was taught to play growing up the 580 was THE way to catch and it felt like a natural closure to me from day 1. The glove integrates very well into a butterfly position with glove going on top of pad and pocket sitting high. So interesting how something so seemingly simple like a glove and its break angle can leave such a wide array of impressions.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

I have a buddy who has a Warrior (don't recall the model) w/ the 90 degree insert and having been a 580 damn near since it's inception, the Warrior felt really strange to me. Like it closed using more of the all fingers to palm (like giving a thumbs up) but the actual feel of the glove was night and day different to me. Which of course it would give the differences in internals I suppose. My point is I couldn't switch over to a Warrior 90 degree and not think twice about it... just doesn't have the feel.

I'm not surprised you had some issues. At the end of the day, Warrior gloves are still a 75 degree break. The liners do help change the feel, but it will always pale in comparison to an actual 60/90 degree glove.

Archived