Deep Dive: CCM Axis

TheGoalNet

Sorry... was linking a post in this thread to help answer a question in my own review and came across your comments on 580...

On 7/25/2020 at 11:01 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

For the first time I tried on a 580 axis yesterday and honestly I don’t see the hype around it. Sure it’s a great glove and if I used axis that’s probably what I’d get but to me it felt pretty similar and I a warrior 90 degree which I guess is the whole idea. I’m surprised they felt so similarly

I have a buddy who has a Warrior (don't recall the model) w/ the 90 degree insert and having been a 580 damn near since it's inception, the Warrior felt really strange to me. Like it closed using more of the all fingers to palm (like giving a thumbs up) but the actual feel of the glove was night and day different to me. Which of course it would give the differences in internals I suppose. My point is I couldn't switch over to a Warrior 90 degree and not think twice about it... just doesn't have the feel.

On 7/26/2020 at 6:59 PM, Puckstopper said:

Man do I agree with this!   The 580 is so hard for me to do anything with other than stickhandle (although it's spectacular at that!).  Actually catching the puck and closing the glove properly requires so much thought and concentration compared to the baseball style closure I prefer.  

I'm literally the exact opposite. To be fair I stick handle like I have feet for hands to begin with... but I can catch all day with a 580. Again, always goes back to what you're used to and know. The way I was taught to play growing up the 580 was THE way to catch and it felt like a natural closure to me from day 1. The glove integrates very well into a butterfly position with glove going on top of pad and pocket sitting high. So interesting how something so seemingly simple like a glove and its break angle can leave such a wide array of impressions.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

I have a buddy who has a Warrior (don't recall the model) w/ the 90 degree insert and having been a 580 damn near since it's inception, the Warrior felt really strange to me. Like it closed using more of the all fingers to palm (like giving a thumbs up) but the actual feel of the glove was night and day different to me. Which of course it would give the differences in internals I suppose. My point is I couldn't switch over to a Warrior 90 degree and not think twice about it... just doesn't have the feel.

I'm not surprised you had some issues. At the end of the day, Warrior gloves are still a 75 degree break. The liners do help change the feel, but it will always pale in comparison to an actual 60/90 degree glove.