Jump to content

G5 initial impressions, review (eventually) & GT2 Comparison


Recommended Posts

On the catch glove (only piece I have handy) the loop side of the velco is attached to the liner.  This is my first set of G series gear, so  I'm not sure how that lines up with the previous generations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After almost a year in Warrior GT2's I decided I wanted to go back to a stiffer pad.  Given how much I loved my GT2s, selecting G5's for my next set was pretty much a no brainer.  So far my initial im

So I took some measurements and I'll post those pics in a second.  Long story short both sets of pads are the same width.  Full story: Looking closer at the pics I posted before I think I've figu

T Throwing this out there also This is what the toe tie area looks like minus the elastic strap and with the toe tie

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Kayen said:

Did they keep the velcro orientation the same on the liners, so that in theory the liners could be backwards compatible with G3 gloves? (I know you can do G4 to G3, but not to G2 since velcro was reversed on the G3). 

Yes we did.  You could use a G5 liner in G3, G4 or GT2 (blocker) if you'd like.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to Coronavirus the rinks were empty last Sunday which led to me going from having 0 hours of ice time to almost as much as I could handle.   So, after 3 hours of time on the ice with the new pads (and glove finally!) I'm ready to update my early impressions:

Pads:  Most definitely the best sliding pads I've used.  The foam in the inner area of the pad is noticeable firmer than their GT2 cousins, so I'm not sure if it's that, Airslide or a combination of both, but even after 3 hours I was still dialing these in.   It's not a bad thing in any way, but there's still some adjusting to do in order to arrive at my spot on time and not slide through that spot.  I still view this as a good problem as I was not as tired after 3 games as I ususally would have been after 2.

Blocker:  If you like Warrior blockers this thing is an absolute no-brainer upgrade.  Rebounds seem hotter and the flatter face makes them very predictable. 

Catch Glove:  I finally had the chance to try this baby out in game action and it didn't disappoint.  For me the 60 degree liner is SO much more comfortable and natural than the 75 degree in my GT2 glove even if it isn't quite broken in yet.  Both catching and stickhandling seem more natural and I absolutely prefer the Warrior single T over the somewhat floppy implementation of a double T on my GT2.

Overall I was  a huge fan of the GT2 set I had, but this set eclipses those pads in every way.  Faster/easier sliding, hot, predictable rebounds, easier catching and stickhandling.  The only potential downside for some might be how super stiff the thighrises are, but as you'll see in pics below they take an a nice S-Curve shape very quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Freaks I tells ya

We agree on that one!

I agree that the G5s look wider, but when you put a tape measure on it they're not.  I think the dark colors, black sliding surface and vertical stitching on the GT2 set add to the illusion.

Thicker yes, but no heavier.  It's a huge win!

Steven, both are 35+2.  The GT2 set is more flexible at the knee and have stayed dead straight through the thigh.  I think they look shorter due to the hinging at the knee.  The G5's have taken on a really nice curve in a very short time and feel amazingly stiff through the thigh.  I expect that they'll keep a very nice stiffness for the life of the pad.  Both lines do a great job closing the 5 hole in my narrow butterfly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I decided to take some family portraits to compare the two Warrior lines I've used.   I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

IMG_20200317_124404.thumb.jpg.1f8f2bca552a50b9b2312f47fbc4db75.jpgIMG_20200317_124458.thumb.jpg.4928e693368ed1cbdc58070623758295.jpg

IMG_20200317_124532.thumb.jpg.6902b89a3df14cfbef1fd45e0411ca7d.jpgIMG_20200312_165723.thumb.jpg.06c31c9d26ef2043b9a9cec2a15ef7c8.jpg

IMG_20200317_124413.thumb.jpg.32e947a3fdd8c70a2f9a936a49d13ec1.jpg

IMG_20200312_165809.thumb.jpg.7de41e70ed535e15b11af509803214e7.jpgIMG_20200312_165821.thumb.jpg.b2d1721241b345c46026e8c4bf4b95c0.jpg

IMG_20200312_165842.thumb.jpg.553f32b897686638094de654e29f52b1.jpg

IMG_20200312_170022.thumb.jpg.456f44592bf090100e46e44ad2fd0d74.jpgIMG_20200312_170035.thumb.jpg.6af5237ed6a8299f87c1c20c57c5aa41.jpg

Hey, it looks like Warrior FINALLY wised up and went full Senior Width pads, Blocker length and Catcher perimeter sizing! 6 years of intermediate sized gear and calling Pro Senior fooled alot of people...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2020 at 10:19 AM, netminder said:

Hey, it looks like Warrior FINALLY wised up and went full Senior Width pads, Blocker length and Catcher perimeter sizing! 6 years of intermediate sized gear and calling Pro Senior fooled alot of people...

We don't need to go down this path again.

Edit: I'm dissapointed that the mods edited my comment without my approval. Consent matters.

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, netminder said:

Hey, it looks like Warrior finally went full Senior Width pads, Blocker length and Catcher perimeter...

FACT:  RGT2s were a full 11" wide. 

FACT:  Both blockers are the same length and width.

FACT:  The catch gloves LOOK different but it's at least partially an optical illusion caused by 3 factors.  1, the GT2 glove fell backwards slightly as I took my shot.  2, the GT2 has broken in more and 3 the double pocket makes the GT2 look different.   Overall they're very similarly sized. 

Lets be a little careful throwing around misinformed statements when 99% of the goaltending world hasn't had a chance to go hands on with the product and make up minds for themselves yet. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Lets be a little careful throwing around misinformed statements when 99% of the goaltending world hasn't had a chance to go hands on with the product and make up minds for themselves yet. 

^+1

I measure my G4s at a hair over 11", and the glove perimeters are all right at the limit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I decided to take some family portraits to compare the two Warrior lines I've used.   I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

IMG_20200317_124404.thumb.jpg.1f8f2bca552a50b9b2312f47fbc4db75.jpg

New pads look wider I believe Warrior had less than 11" at one point. Can we get a tape measure on each pad please?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

New pads look wider I believe Warrior had less than 11" at one point. Can we get a tape measure on each pad please?

You're not actually considering entertaining Netminder's crap are you? Pretty sure that this whole "LOL not exactly 11" inches LOL" debate was put to bed once the G4 came out.

The guy has popped up throughout the years spewing this nonsense without merit and skulks away the second he's asked to back up his point.

At this point it's just tiresome drivel from an uneducated member.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're not actually considering entertaining Netminder's crap are you? Pretty sure that this whole "LOL not exactly 11" inches LOL" debate was put to bed once the G4 came out.

The guy has popped up throughout the years spewing this nonsense without merit and skulks away the second he's asked to back up his point.

At this point it's just tiresome drivel from an uneducated member.

I will fully admit, I don't follow Warrior gear as closely as other brands. I primarily look at their sticks and accessories. I did not know that got corrected with G4. Unfortunately, there's only so much bandwidth to "cover" so many brands. That's why this website is so valuable. Great Warrior resource for the fans.

However, I think my eyes are correct then? GT/2 would be when the pads were under width and the current pads are 11".

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

FACT:  RGT2s were a full 11" wide. 

FACT:  Both blockers are the same length and width.

FACT:  The catch gloves LOOK different but it's at least partially an optical illusion caused by 3 factors.  1, the GT2 glove fell backwards slightly as I took my shot.  2, the GT2 has broken in more and 3 the double pocket makes the GT2 look different.   Overall they're very similarly sized. 

Lets be a little careful throwing around misinformed statements when 99% of the goaltending world hasn't had a chance to go hands on with the product and make up minds for themselves yet. 

Thanks for this!  Hockey is a game of inches and the position of goaltending (from a coverage perspective) is 3 dimensional!  A tape measurer does not tell you  the full story of how much net you're covering.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...