Sign in to follow this  
indykrap

Thigh Rise Comparisons

Hi all,

Saw this post in another thread and it got me thinking - I really don't understand thigh rises!

On 3/3/2020 at 8:29 PM, DL42 said:

the 33 " -34 warrior thigh rise is  8" stock when added to thee plus stock size of 1.5" its 9.5 " which is 1/2" less then Brians in the same stock size 33/34" with no plus sizing..  8" vs 10",  so a brian's 33+1  is same thighrise warrior 33" +3".

Does anyone have a good grasp (much like @DL42 does!) how the different brands compare for thigh rises? Had no idea it would be that drastic between brands.

Thanks!

As I understand it, unless you go custom, you get what you get. What seems to differ for each brand is how they measure the ankle to knee area. For example, In a Vaughn, I've worn a 36+1, CCM runs taller so I should wear a 35+1 and apparently Brian's has their own system which could place me in a 34+1. It is confusing I agree. I got my hands on some Bauer Reactor at 36+1 which I thought would be spot on, but they are a tad too tall at the knee giving me a bad landing spot in my b-fly and lots of extra thigh rise that I could go without. In Warriors, my measurements say I should be a 36+1 as per their guide but in stores, I clearly would better fit a 35+1.

I do wish there was an industry standard.

There are a few factors in play in terms of total height, but from my own experience of moving from Vaughn -> Reebok -> Brians between 2011 - 2015 was that they were all fairly 'true' in terms of the shin sizing. I.E. my 33" base size Brians have a 1" lower knee block that my 34" base Reebok P4's did. However, there a number of other things to consider:

-  Companies that have a bindingless top on their pad (Brians for example) measure as a bigger thigh rise as the + size stops at the actual edge of the pad rather than at the edge of the binding.

- Pads with a stiffer ankle break (CCM P1s) will have a taller overall feel

- Pads with more breaks / pre-curve in general won't feel as tall 

From my own experience in the 33"-34" range, Brians +1.5 was probably equivalent to a Reebok and Vaughn +2, maybe even a bit bigger. Learnt to live with my +1.5 but wish I'd only gone for a +1, in fact I believe Brians used to dissuade people from ordering anything over a +2.