#ModMonday Contest by Factory Mad

TheGoalNet

3 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

If I see this correctly, this is at an edge correct? If so, why not use a straight needle?

Without a proper thimble or something to push the needle through, the curved one was just easier to get through. I agree though, not the ideal tool. 

OK - the reason I ask is that whenever I've done that kind of work I have used a sharp straight needle and actually held the shank about a third of the way down form the tip with a pair of pliers and driven it through, then grabbed the tip of the needle with the pliers and pulled it the rest of the way. Makes it a lot easier to hit the spot you are aiming for as opposed to a curved needle which makes it extremely difficult to be accurate.

My submission for this awesome contest.
TL;DR version - it is a set of gloves that I recently disassembled, refurbished, modified and completely reassembled to match each other and the white/red/black sublimated pad covers I use for ball hockey. Sewed new material into the glove to change the colours, put in brand-new internals, rebound the entire glove with new binding and lace and shortened the tee to make a FactoryMad style floating tee. Made a new palm and gussets from scratch for the blocker to replace the original ones which were quite worn. The catch glove is a Vaughn Vision 9580 (originally navy and silver graphic with navy coloured binding) and the blocker is a V3 7500. All sewing other than putting the pieces of the blocker palm together was done with a Speedy Stitcher and lots of hard work. Very happy with the overall results. 

Glove - I disassembled the glove and removing all of the original navy coloured binding, I replaced the piece of nylon that connects the backhand side at the wrist strap to the front side of the cuff (about half of the material had ripped through the original stitches). Put extra Jenpro in the worn area at the heel of the cuff to provide a solid anchor to sew the new nylon mentioned above down to (the JenPro had also ripped through the stitches) and increase longevity in that high wear area (especially with the added wear from ball hockey). I opened up the seams where the original navy and silver JenPro colour zones of the graphic were to change the scheme to red and black. I used 420 Nylon (the same type of material as the binding is made of) for this to avoid removing the original JenPro (which was in good shape and adds to longevity) or adding too much thickness to the areas. I cut the pieces to shape (leaving a bit of doubled-over extra material for tear resistance), set them in place over the JenPro with a bit of E6000 adhesive and then re-sewed the seams using the existing holes. Rebound the glove perimeter, tee, wrist strap pad and backhand neoprene and backhand coverings in red and covered the navy JenPro Vaughn logo in black nylon. Laced the glove back up with brand-new internal plastics, palm and cord. Lastly, I shortened  the tee and reinforced it in my best attempt at a Factory-Mad style floating tee [they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?] and used unwaxed skate lace for the wraparound pocket (which took a lot of reworking and tweaking to get to a point where I was satisfied). I put some E6000 on a few other spots where the JenPro was starting to wear through (mainly on the tee and at the bottom of the break where the plastic cuff ends). I ran out of black waxed thread when I reached the backhand pad and plan to replace the tan eventually. Also planning to cover up the silver fingertip protector with black nylon as well.

7500 Blocker - No colour or binding material changes on the blocker as it was red/black when I got it. The palm had several holes and plenty of other wear. The white air mesh gussets were also very stretched out. I removed the stitching attaching the wrist pad to the palm, the palm to the gussets and gussets to the blocker. I replaced the original white air mesh gussets and thumb backhand with new black air mesh that I cut, sized and sewed together to match the unstretched originals. Pulled out all the stitching in the original palm and used them as a template to trace new ones on some grey nash material. Sewed the new palm together with my sewing machine. I then attached the gussets to the original backhand of the palm and then attached the palm to the gussets. I used the sewing machine to pre-punch evenly spaced holes in the new palm I made to help with consistent stitch length using the Speedy Stitcher. Lastly, I reattached the wrist pad to the palm and laced it back up. 

00-Front Pre.jpg

01-Cuff Pre.jpg

02-Glove cuff internal.jpg

03-Glove Palm post 2.jpg

04-finger backhand side.jpg

05-internal backhand and cuff.jpg

06-Blocker Palm Pre.jpg

07-Blocker Palm Pre 2.jpg

08-Blocker Palm Post.jpg

09-Blocker Palm Post 2.jpg

This is my personal paint job I did at home in my basement using spray paint cans. Wet sanded previous stock paint off, put down a white base coat and used matte spray for all the other colors. Finished the mask with about 3 coats of automotive gloss to keep the paint from chipping. Cleaned up the chrome cat eye and threw a white harness on the back. 

20170902_124755.png

20170315_164411.jpg

20170315_164355.jpg

20170316_134540.jpg

20170316_134434.jpg

20170902_124822.png

20170902_124846.png

On 9/1/2017 at 9:54 PM, GolfTangoBravo said:

TL;DR version - it is a set of gloves that I recently disassembled, refurbished, modified and completely reassembled to match each other and the white/red/black sublimated pad covers I use for ball hockey. Sewed new material into the glove to change the colours, put in brand-new internals, rebound the entire glove with new binding and lace and shortened the tee to make a FactoryMad style floating tee. Made a new palm and gussets from scratch for the blocker to replace the original ones which were quite worn. The catch glove is a Vaughn Vision 9580 (originally navy and silver graphic with navy coloured binding) and the blocker is a V3 7500. All sewing other than putting the pieces of the blocker palm together was done with a Speedy Stitcher and lots of hard work. Very happy with the overall results. 

Glove - I disassembled the glove and removing all of the original navy coloured binding, I replaced the piece of nylon that connects the backhand side at the wrist strap to the front side of the cuff (about half of the material had ripped through the original stitches). Put extra Jenpro in the worn area at the heel of the cuff to provide a solid anchor to sew the new nylon mentioned above down to (the JenPro had also ripped through the stitches) and increase longevity in that high wear area (especially with the added wear from ball hockey). I opened up the seams where the original navy and silver JenPro colour zones of the graphic were to change the scheme to red and black. I used 420 Nylon (the same type of material as the binding is made of) for this to avoid removing the original JenPro (which was in good shape and adds to longevity) or adding too much thickness to the areas. I cut the pieces to shape (leaving a bit of doubled-over extra material for tear resistance), set them in place over the JenPro with a bit of E6000 adhesive and then re-sewed the seams using the existing holes. Rebound the glove perimeter, tee, wrist strap pad and backhand neoprene and backhand coverings in red and covered the navy JenPro Vaughn logo in black nylon. Laced the glove back up with brand-new internal plastics, palm and cord. Lastly, I shortened  the tee and reinforced it in my best attempt at a Factory-Mad style floating tee [they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?] and used unwaxed skate lace for the wraparound pocket (which took a lot of reworking and tweaking to get to a point where I was satisfied). I put some E6000 on a few other spots where the JenPro was starting to wear through (mainly on the tee and at the bottom of the break where the plastic cuff ends). I ran out of black waxed thread when I reached the backhand pad and plan to replace the tan eventually. Also planning to cover up the silver fingertip protector with black nylon as well.

7500 Blocker - No colour or binding material changes on the blocker as it was red/black when I got it. The palm had several holes and plenty of other wear. The white air mesh gussets were also very stretched out. I removed the stitching attaching the wrist pad to the palm, the palm to the gussets and gussets to the blocker. I replaced the original white air mesh gussets and thumb backhand with new black air mesh that I cut, sized and sewed together to match the unstretched originals. Pulled out all the stitching in the original palm and used them as a template to trace new ones on some grey nash material. Sewed the new palm together with my sewing machine. I then attached the gussets to the original backhand of the palm and then attached the palm to the gussets. I used the sewing machine to pre-punch evenly spaced holes in the new palm I made to help with consistent stitch length using the Speedy Stitcher. Lastly, I reattached the wrist pad to the palm and laced it back up. 

Amazing that you did this yourself, congrats! 

On 9/1/2017 at 9:54 PM, GolfTangoBravo said:

Up to know you've got my vote- great job!

On 9/2/2017 at 1:02 PM, half_right_tendy said:

This is my personal paint job I did at home in my basement using spray paint cans. Wet sanded previous stock paint off, put down a white base coat and used matte spray for all the other colors. Finished the mask with about 3 coats of automotive gloss to keep the paint from chipping. Cleaned up the chrome cat eye and threw a white harness on the back. 

Nice!

Archived