Coronavirus - What are you doing to pass the time during lock down?

JerseyBo

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/29/2020 at 9:47 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

In addition to Bauer & Brian’s, Vaughn, Sparx, and New Balance (which apparently owns Warrior) have all converted production to make much-needed medical supplies, as seen on Goalie Gear Nerd. Also, beer leaguers are posting their mask art which is pretty sweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoalieGearNerd?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

As a side note, this will very likely greatly affect turnaround times for those of you placing custom orders . Something to keep in mind.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

In addition to Bauer & Brian’s, Vaughn, Sparx, and New Balance (which apparently owns Warrior) have all converted production to make much-needed medical supplies, as seen on Goalie Gear Nerd. Also, beer leaguers are posting their mask art which is pretty sweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoalieGearNerd?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

As a side note, this will very likely greatly affect turnaround times for those of you placing custom orders . Something to keep in mind.

Kenesky is making medical supplies as well.

2 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

I can telecommute so I'm working full time.  I gave up tending net a few weeks before the pandemic due to too many knee injuries, but I had just started skating out.  So I'm trying to keep up my conditioning and working on stick handling.  

I hear that! I think I’ve missed working out only 3 days in the last 3 weeks! Way more than I used to do, but then I also used to play 2-3 times a week, and be on the ice coaching my son 2-3 times a week as well. Ah, the good old days! Lol!

13 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’m trying to master my splits and overall strength so I can come back way better than I was. I don’t usually do off ice training so this is all new to me. 

You simmer down with getting more flexible. You're going to make us all feel bad. 

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You simmer down with getting more flexible. You're going to make us all feel bad. 

I could always put some videos up I guess. Playing like Jonathan Quick is not the goal of this flexibility either, I just don’t wanna get hurt. 

I just bought an old Heaton Helite 5 Garth Snow stick (thanks for the tip, @coopaloop1234). I think that's about as close as I'm going to come to finding a Brodeur Helite III, which has been my 'dream find' since I first got into goalie gear circa 1996.

It's in pretty good shape—not too many dings, no notable splintering—I'm going to make a small project out of 'restoring' it:

• Remove the old tape and sticky residue (that's going to be fun...)
  • Give any rough sections a light sanding, while trying to avoid removing any of the branding on the shaft
  • Give the shaft a light coat of varnish—I've done this with some other sticks after sanding the shaft a bit, and it's worked great
  • Tape that sucker up

The only question is when/how often I'll play with it. I have an inexplicable love for how this stick looks, but I don't know that it will be "fun" to play with it, and of course, I'm scared to risk breaking it. 

I have a signed 2003 CCM/Heaton game-used Brodeur stick made out to me—it will surely grace my office wall when I remember to take it from my childhood bedroom. Even though this new Heaton 5 is of no Brodeur/personal significance, I might just clean it up and put it on the wall for looks. It may depend on how well the restoration goes.

0.jpg

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I just bought an old Heaton Helite 5 Garth Snow stick (thanks for the tip, @coopaloop1234). I think that's about as close as I'm going to come to finding a Brodeur Helite III, which has been my 'dream find' since I first got into goalie gear circa 1996.

It's in pretty good shape—not too many dings, no notable splintering—I'm going to make a small project out of 'restoring' it:

• Remove the old tape and sticky residue (that's going to be fun...)
  • Give any rough sections a light sanding, while trying to avoid removing any of the branding on the shaft
  • Give the shaft a light coat of varnish—I've done this with some other sticks after sanding the shaft a bit, and it's worked great
  • Tape that sucker up

The only question is when/how often I'll play with it. I have an inexplicable love for how this stick looks, but I don't know that it will be "fun" to play with it, and of course, I'm scared to risk breaking it. 

I have a signed 2003 CCM/Heaton game-used Brodeur stick made out to me—it will surely grace my office wall when I remember to take it from my childhood bedroom. Even though this new Heaton 5 is of no Brodeur/personal significance, I might just clean it up and put it on the wall for looks. It may depend on how well the restoration goes.

0.jpg

You've probably seen this, but figured I'd toss it on here anyways: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Brodeur-Heaton-Helite-III-Stick-New-Jersey-Devils-St-Louis-Blues-PSA-DNA-/324070914896

On 4/3/2020 at 1:44 PM, motowngoalie said:

I actually hadn't—very cool, though the Helite III Brodeur used in subsequent years (with a natural wood shaft, no red/black paint on the shaft) is the particular one I've been after.

When the kids are sleeping in the afternoon I do Tabata style training + the new butterfly challenge and I do jogging either before my wife go to work(she is a nurse so she works a lot😂) or at night when she comes home and damn I start to miss the guitar I sold a few month ago 😭

I started my own graphic design business back in September and have been working out of my home ever since. No big change there, but now I'm also home schooling an 8 year old. Let's hope she's learning something from her parents, because we aren't great teachers. Also been tackling some home improvement projects that don't require trips to Home Depot. Last but not least, been enjoying my other hobby while I can't play hockey.

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

4 minutes ago, JerseyBo said:

@Peanutbutterfly was out in the woods on bikes as well, until today. NJ shut down all state and county parks. Ugh! 

@JerseyBoI heard about that. I live about 500ft from a trail network in CT, so I just ride right out of my garage and on to the trail. Could probably still ride even if the trails close since I don't need to park anywhere. For now though, the trails here are still open. Hope they stay that way.

Archived