Coronavirus - What are you doing to pass the time during lock down?

JerseyBo

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still working, but have taken the drying clothes off of the weights and treadmill.  I miss hockey so much I bought enough synthetic ice to build a small crease to do movement drills on.  I did 20 minutes yesterday and just about fell out of bed this morning.  Sore is an understatement.  I ordered more tiles to make it bigger.  Oh, and I'm drinking a ton of beer :)

synice.jpg

synicestance.jpg

Fortunately/unfortunately - still working!  Not an essential service or anything but working from home so not got any time really to do anything fun like cycle/any projects!!  Jelous of all you guys making stuff!!

I think there are only about 10 people left in my company working, the rest have been furloughed (i'm in the UK).............sucks but better than not having a way to fuel my gear buying habit!!

20200421_152732.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have been able to shift to working remotely, but having a small child at home means my productivity is not exactly what it used to be! Still, feeling fortunate to still be working during these times. The synthetic ice is a good idea! I'll have to look into that - how long did it take to arrive once you ordered it?

3 hours ago, StevenC said:

Fortunately/unfortunately - still working!  Not an essential service or anything but working from home so not got any time really to do anything fun like cycle/any projects!!  Jelous of all you guys making stuff!!

I think there are only about 10 people left in my company working, the rest have been furloughed (i'm in the UK).............sucks but better than not having a way to fuel my gear buying habit!!

20200421_152732.jpg

I'm in the same boat! Nice to see you working hard...... on TGN Forums ;) 

3 hours ago, beansbats said:

I'm still working, but have taken the drying clothes off of the weights and treadmill.  I miss hockey so much I bought enough synthetic ice to build a small crease to do movement drills on.  I did 20 minutes yesterday and just about fell out of bed this morning.  Sore is an understatement.  I ordered more tiles to make it bigger.  Oh, and I'm drinking a ton of beer :)

synice.jpg

synicestance.jpg

Now THAT looks like a ton of fun!! Nice work. :D 

1 hour ago, Teezle said:

I'm lucky enough to have been able to shift to working remotely, but having a small child at home means my productivity is not exactly what it used to be! Still, feeling fortunate to still be working during these times. The synthetic ice is a good idea! I'll have to look into that - how long did it take to arrive once you ordered it?

It took about 5 days to ship, and it arrived FedEx two days after that.  Under current circumstances, not bad at all.

-steve

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So Fiancee and I had to officially postpone our wedding for a year due to this mess. It wasn't till October, but with how things are estimated for second waves and large gatherings still on bar, we're taking the safe route and delaying it a year. 

Real solid of you to give that girl another 12 months to change her mind, Coop. 
😋

Sounds like a tough - but correct - decision, Bud. Hang in there!

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So Fiancee and I had to officially postpone our wedding for a year due to this mess. It wasn't till October, but with how things are estimated for second waves and large gatherings still on bar, we're taking the safe route and delaying it a year. 

Well that sucks Bobo... but, gives you more time to re-send my invitation, guess the first one got lost in the mail?

3 hours ago, pennan said:

as you know we have a little diffrent approach to this covid-19 virus. https://global.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202004/21/WS5e9e546aa3105d50a3d17a41.html

Yea, I think Sweden has the right approach with this 👍 Keep a balance between taking care not to spread the virus, especially to vulnerable people, but keep businesses and life going as normal as much as possible. The economic problems for alot of countries are going to be very bad after weeks/months of being closed, and these economic problems are just as real as the virus itself. 

48 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Yea, I think Sweden has the right approach with this 👍 Keep a balance between taking care not to spread the virus, especially to vulnerable people, but keep businesses and life going as normal as much as possible. The economic problems for alot of countries are going to be very bad after weeks/months of being closed, and these economic problems are just as real as the virus itself. 

Sweden has less than half as many cases as Canada does (16,004 to 38,422), and 100 more deaths (1,937 to 1,834). These numbers are even more striking when you recall that Sweden's population is less than one-third that of Canada's (10.3 million to 37.9 million).

The economic struggles facing countries that enforce stay-at-home measures and lockdowns are temporary. People aren't going to work because it's not safe, not because their employer doesn't need them any more. Their jobs will, in most cases, be there once this is all over.

You know who won't be there when this is all over? People who die because their government pursued some asinine "herd immunity" strategy.

26 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Sweden has less than half as many cases as Canada does (16,004 to 38,422), and 100 more deaths (1,937 to 1,834). These numbers are even more striking when you recall that Sweden's population is less than one-third that of Canada's (10.3 million to 37.9 million).

The economic struggles facing countries that enforce stay-at-home measures and lockdowns are temporary. People aren't going to work because it's not safe, not because their employer doesn't need them any more. Their jobs will, in most cases, be there once this is all over.

You know who won't be there when this is all over? People who die because their government pursued some asinine "herd immunity" strategy.

I'm having trouble with the stats, because they are so unreliable, mainly due to lack of testing and how deaths are counted (ie: if you are hit by a train but test positive for corona, it's counted? If you were old, sick and dying anyway, it's counted?) . And if you do believe the stats, then Sweden's stats are in-line with the rest of EU countries that do have full lock-downs. So it's not clear how a full lock-down in Sweden would have benefited? 

The main reason for the lockdowns right now is to slow the spread so hospitals are not overloaded, to "flatten the curve" as they say ad nauseum. So deaths will not be avoided, just slowed and spread over time. Or at least until a cure can be found. But to lock everything down is like carpet bombing. It makes more sense to make more targeted measures, and isolate and treat voulnerable people differently than young healthy people who are generally not affected so badly. 

3 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I'm having trouble with the stats, because they are so unreliable, mainly due to lack of testing and how deaths are counted (ie: if you are hit by a train but test positive for corona, it's counted? If you were old, sick and dying anyway, it's counted?) . And if you do believe the stats, then Sweden's stats are in-line with the rest of EU countries that do have full lock-downs. So it's not clear how a full lock-down in Sweden would have benefited? 

The main reason for the lockdowns right now is to slow the spread so hospitals are not overloaded, to "flatten the curve" as they say ad nauseum. So deaths will not be avoided, just slowed and spread over time. Or at least until a cure can be found. But to lock everything down is like carpet bombing. It makes more sense to make more targeted measures, and isolate and treat voulnerable people differently than young healthy people who are generally not affected so badly. 

For all the minor inaccuracies in this data, it's more than accurate enough for comparative purposes. Sweden's stats are not "in line" with the rest of the EU, in fact they are on track to have a worse response to this pandemic than Italy, and that is directly attributable to their lackadaisical response. The point is not just to flatten the curve but to keep the infection away from people that are immuno-compromised or otherwise at-risk (which does include old people, yes, but also includes people with chronic respiratory conditions, smokers, people with heart disease, etc.).

That's why "herd immunity" is so incredibly stupid; contracting and recovering from COVID doesn't mean you can't still pass the virus to other people, and not everyone can take the chance they'll survive it. "Herd immunity" is just another way of saying "sacrifice everyone who is at-risk". Locking down everything is an extreme response, but a properly enforced, two-three week lockdown can not just flatten infection rates but spike them to near zero. And once the infection rate is spiked, things can limp well-enough along until a vaccine is developed.

The economy will recover in short order once we have a vaccine.

Dead people won't.

To add to @CJ Boiss's very good response, "flattening the curve" not only reduces immediate strain on healthcare resources, but also reduces the total amount of infected people in the end. A lot of the casual graphs tend to show the area under the curve as being equal for the "no flattening" vs. "flattening" scenarios, but that is not the case - because of social distancing, fewer people will contract the disease overall than if we did not do it.

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

Locking down everything is an extreme response, but a properly enforced, two-three week lockdown can not just flatten infection rates but spike them to near zero. And once the infection rate is spiked, things can limp well-enough along until a vaccine is developed.

The economy will recover in short order once we have a vaccine.

Dead people won't.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I don't think a 3 week global lockdown will make the virus virtually disappear. Maybe it could have been contained in Wuhan in the early days, but by now it's so widespread, it's impossible to contain it. And then even when this wave subsides, there will be a second and thrid wave around the corner. A vaccine is not expected for another year or two, and by then the virus will mutate anyway. There's no good answer. There will be dead bodies in any case. So what's the call, Chief? Lock the world down indefinitely? ;)

I think what's going to happen in the next months/years is a hybrid solution of social distancing, hygene measures (disinfection, plexiglass at the checkout, etc.) and things like that. NHL and other sports will play to empty stadiums, if at all. But the lockdown in the current state can't last much longer, it's not a long-term solution, life has to go on, in one way or another.

One recent good news, is the test for detecting antibodies is coming on a massive scale soon, so people can be tested to see if they had the virus already, and may be immune to it. So maybe if it's discovered that enough people were already exposed, a "herd immunity" might be happening right now anyway, and if it happens on a large enough scale, that may actually be the answer before a vaccine is even found.

Archived