Velcro and longevity

Hey guys, I’ve been rocking my Simmons 995 c/a for about 12 years and Wanted to try something new. I’ve started to narrow down what I want and it seems that almost all the new c/a’s have a ton of Velcro on them and it makes me worry about how long the Velcro will last and keep a strong hold. I like my current Simmons because it uses buckles on the back. 

These are the chestys that are in the running

passau- haven’t found out how it connects but looks like Velcro on the shoulder/neck area like new Vaughn. 

Simmons- like my current one and still uses buckles but want to try something new 

warrior- like the streamline look but this one seems to be completly Velcro  

any other ones I should look at?

Been in a Warrior G2 Sr. for several years.  Yes, the Velcro longevity was a worry when I first got it, and was a source of locker room chiding, especially when I had all Warrior gear (they do love their Velcro) - the sound of me shedding my gear after a game was quite noticeable.  That said, it has held up amazingly well - not a single issue with its hold in any area.  The level of adjustability is awesome, although, I’m sure every company has worked on that with their recent offerings.  

I’m contemplating moving into a GT2 Sr. once things return to normal, but that’s mainly because I want to see if the floaters really do cause less interference with the mask as you turn your head.  I’ve got a short neck, and can use all the help I can get!

Not C/A related, but that's one of the reasons why a still got leather straps on my pads when I ordered my custom Premier 1 pads. Less than six months of owning the pads, one of the leg channel and knee cradle velcro peices was too worn out and barely held on. If I didn't have straps, the pad would have been way too floppy during games when the velcro just didn't hold. I had to get it replaced and, to it's credit, been holding on great since. 

It was dissappointing and probably a one-off, but as a beer league goalie I want my stuff to last as long as possible with as little repairs as possible. My CCM C/A still has the straps.

I might be in the minority here, especially with all the new stuff now being loaded with velcro, but it's just not for me. I respect it and I totally see the benefits, but practically it's just personally not my thing.

I'm sure if it's built with good quality velcro it should be fine though.

11 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

If you're worried about the velcro over the back of the shoulders, you can always sew the pieces down when you find a setting that you like.

Yes that’s a good option but I just don’t have to modify a piece of equipment that’s not that old because something on it is failing.

if I’m spending money on equipment it should do its job and last.  

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

Not C/A related, but that's one of the reasons why a still got leather straps on my pads when I ordered my custom Premier 1 pads. Less than six months of owning the pads, one of the leg channel and knee cradle velcro peices was too worn out and barely held on. If I didn't have straps, the pad would have been way too floppy during games when the velcro just didn't hold. I had to get it replaced and, to it's credit, been holding on great since. 

It was dissappointing and probably a one-off, but as a beer league goalie I want my stuff to last as long as possible with as little repairs as possible. My CCM C/A still has the straps.

I might be in the minority here, especially with all the new stuff now being loaded with velcro, but it's just not for me. I respect it and I totally see the benefits, but practically it's just personally not my thing.

I'm sure if it's built with good quality velcro it should be fine though.

I’m right there with you I like leather straps because they always buckle and won’t lose their ability to hold the pad. I’m looking to get some warrior pads and I’m a little worried about the longevity but I’m going to roll the dice 

Archived