Sign in to follow this  
Chenner29

Streamlined/New Spec CCM C/A

Hey folks,

I had the opportunity to pick up one of these from Sideline Swap and pulled the trigger. 
This was marked as a Varlamov pro return, Fit 3 with -1" on the arms.

Obviously, with rinks shut down, I have not been able to get it on the ice yet.

I don't think it's worth a full scale review, as AFAIK these are NHL issue only.  They won't be widely available, and it doesn't look like any facsimile is going to be making it to the retail level.  However, I will dedicate some space to my thoughts on it and open up discussion for anyone who wants to find out more.  I'd be happy to answer questions, take measurements, or whatever else you may have.

Enjoy the pictures in the meantime.

image.png.f704419f15b7b184f6260d7700d434cd.png

image.png.c43ea7745b0ca01f4d2a38a0e75832e5.png

• Like 1

First impressions:
This is a very solidly built unit with plastic throughout.  It feels like a bit of an amalgamation between the original Reebok P1, along with the CCM Premier and Eflex lines.

The body is more or less an updated P1, but there are key pieces where it has been reinforced.  I want to look at the arms first.   Luckily (?) the forearm pieces wore through a bit and allows us a peek inside.  It looks like there is a 1/4" layer of LD foam, followed by a plastic sheet, then backed by a piece of 3/8" HD foam. The forearm and bicep pads feel like a shin pad, which was kind of the protection level I wanted to try out after seeing the CURV reinforced Bauer 1X and the Warrior robo-arm units.

image.png.22bcb6ae73da718457ef30fbd2bd32d3.png

The arms have multiple components that go in to them.  There is a soft foam padded sleeve, covered by the plastic/HD composition forearm and bicep pads, and then the arm floaters.  Here is a side profile of the floaters, they are pretty girthy and I have issue fitting into a 58g jersey (5'11, 190lb, so I'm not huge).  Note that the arms wrap in three directions: front, outside, and inside. 

image.png.3ba4708eef45886ffd141f6a3f49c5b4.png

Traditional styled elbow cups are gone with this unit, and instead we have a pretty neat "player style" elbow system.  They have their own individual adjustment, so you can go as tight or as loose as you need here.  Also note the integrated under-forearm protection.

image.png.b98f3394efa58a501aa9ec7ce2ea16f0.pngimage.png.cf831871ed4ca57806b57369d61c7195.png

The elbows velcro in to the back of the arms, so you arms don't "float" as freely inside the sleeves as they would on a traditional unit.  Tons of adjustment available here.

image.thumb.png.3957703642df8d9590e6c0c33d35f2a4.png

The shoulder floaters also utilize generous amounts of plastic.  They don't flex.  It's hard to illustrate with a picture, but I am applying a fair bit of pressure on the shoulder floater here and it doesn't budge.  Compare that to say, my Kenesky unit which can be folded pretty easily.

image.thumb.png.6f7dea982913204c37a67810d77c1958.pngimage.png.52642b0e3b3c0a23dc7c27273b2b77de.png

image.png

• Like 2

What's changed from P1? The shoulder floaters are different. The belly blocks are different. There's D3O in the sternum. The harness as changed too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

What's changed from P1? The shoulder floaters are different. The belly blocks are different. There's D3O in the sternum. The harness as changed too.

A lot more plastic.  It's in the shoulder and arm floaters, as well as the bicep and forearm pads.

• Like 1

@Chenner29... could you take some measurements of the floaters... overall width... length... and speak to how functional the diagonal breaks at the top are?

Posted (edited)

Man I'd love to try one ! The guy who sharpen my skates often have some pro return gear from some AHL guys and damn it's always tempting to buy a chest and arm 

Edited by Xdave90x

13 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Chenner29... could you take some measurements of the floaters... overall width... length... and speak to how functional the diagonal breaks at the top are?

Shoulder floaters, widest point: 5.25" (not counting binding) 6.25" (including binding)

Elbow floaters, front: 6.5"

Elbow floaters, depth: 6.5"

Base of collar to bottom: 22"

Body width: 12"

Diagonal breaks on top of the shoulder floaters are probably to keep the shoulders from being too square or "pointy" -
see the comparison pics between Giguere and Price - I know a pre and post spec Price pic comparison would be better as he's been in both generations of C/A - but I think this illustrates my point a bit better.  You can see how the shoulders round out a bit more at the farthest point.

image.png.95cec811ddde24a7bb51d6831d9da58f.pngimage.png.564af29059d201c7b79dc0b69c545ac3.png

image.png

If i'm not mistaken @TheGoalNet has a comparison video on his youtube channel of this C/A compared to the retail C/A's. He goes over the materials used and measurements of floaters etc...

The body of this looks like the beefed up version which The Goalie Crease was selling which I rock. Major difference between off the self as I was getting bruises in the belly area and chest. No bruise to date with this. 

On 4/8/2020 at 8:28 AM, rlwillis33 said:

If i'm not mistaken @TheGoalNet has a comparison video on his youtube channel of this C/A compared to the retail C/A's. He goes over the materials used and measurements of floaters etc...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saitagoalie said:

Sweet looking c/a. I wish retail units were like this.

Try the new Optik 2. Arms look very similar and are pretty thick (elbow cup is not a full player pad, though). Shoulders etc are more contoured than some other units. Makes my Ventus, which has been a wonderful unit for past 4 or 5 years and no stinger, feel like a toy in comparison. 

On 4/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, Taco said:

Try the new Optik 2. Arms look very similar and are pretty thick (elbow cup is not a full player pad, though). Shoulders etc are more contoured than some other units. Makes my Ventus, which has been a wonderful unit for past 4 or 5 years and no stinger, feel like a toy in comparison. 

I don't really need a new c/a, I have a custom Brown already :) I just wish stock c/a's in general were made with plain regular nylon, no gimmicks. And the player elbow cups look so comfy.