Punisher Goalie's Videos

Punisher Goalie

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Imperative said:

A lot of quality saves, your are skating well and moving while down on the ice well. With your camera set up inside the net, how far off the ice do you have it and what settings do you have it on? It seems like a good view for being inside the net 

Thanks! I have it only about 1 foot off the ice, but angled up. I’m running a GoPro Hero 5 black at 1080p 30fps on “superview”. I’d like to be shooting 4K but superview isn’t available and last time I tried I think the widest 4K setting was not wide enough for in-net. The Hero 6 might do better.

• 2 months later...

Been a while...

Here’s my most recent pickup session. This was my first live outing with my new Optik set. Going to post some first impressions in the Optik thread, but I was really happy with the fit and performance.

As for my play, this wasn’t my best. It was a bit of a weird session because the teams were really mismatched and the other goalie left early so they took turns against me and the shooter tutor (the shooter tutor was way better than me lol).

One thing I really want to work on is recovering to my feet as opposed to sliding to the posts so much. I’m not as comfortable moving off the post from the RVH as I am from my feet.

Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1 minute ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Oh haha yeah I meant to say something about that. IDK I think some of the elastic straps on my C/A (Warrior R/GT) got stuck on the back plate or something and its sticking up. I know it looks stupid as hell.

Ohhhhh, makes sense, maybe just because of that you look a little hunched over, and if you arnt a tall guy then it helps alot with covering the top corners

• 2 weeks later...

Life getting in the way - finally able to play in a live game last week. I thought I did OK. My skating, especially T pushes, do not feel sharp. As I’ve posted about elsewhere, I’m going to swap out the VH holders in favor of Vertexx 2.0 cowlings. I really feel like the VH holder is way too tall. The Vertexx looks to be about 3/4”-1” shorter and I’m hoping that makes some difference.

This ended up a 2-2 draw after OT. The first goal in the 1st period I should have had. At the time I thought I was screened way more than I was and it did deflect off my D man’s skate but still. The second goal was in the 2nd (so not on film) and it was a crazy one where it hit my shoulder and had top spin and went behind me and I lost it, but it only went in because I was pushed into the net but no call for interference. Oh well.

As always, I sincerely appreciate ANY feedback you all can give! Thank you!

Great to see more of your videos. Good game on your part.Two observations, both with regards to basics.

First, on the one GA you showed, while I realize it was somewhat screened, put the replay to slow mo and freeze it right as the puck passes by: there seems to be a lot of room for it to go in between your body and the post. Especially on a screen shot, your centration to the puck is extremely important – that’s how you generate those “hit me saves”

Second, while it didn’t (at least directly) burn you in the above game, I would say work on rebound control, specifically, directing the rebounds out of harm’s way, as a number of rebounds off your body ended up in the proverbial "kill zone". At the very least, it you draw a line from the left post to the left dot and same on the right side, you want any rebounds to go outside those lines. Ultimately you want to direct rebounds to the corners of the rink. It’s a linear relationship: the closer you can direct rebounds into the corners of the rink, the lower the scoring odds are for the opposition.

Unfortunately, with that efficiency, you will reduce rebound shots and the need to make "highlight reel" saves, which many seem to think is the trait of a good goalie, but as per usual, I say good goaltending is boring goaltending...

You look horrible... Must be the Optiks... Sell them ASAP... TO ME!

Kidding of course.  Skates are huge comfort thing... I've had 4 skates in my regular blacksteel and just now am feeling solid in them.  I can only imagine the adjustment to new heights on your wheels

Looked pretty good to me. You do a nice job of pulling the puck back to yourself and freezing it. Strong glove too. Watch your "double coverage" on your stick side. Your blocker seems to be in front of your right pad some. The strength of your glove explains some of the room on your glove side? The skates may had have a lot to do with these two things. Bottom line: nice game!

What got you so pissed on the first goal? Giving up goals pisses us off but I don't know you want the opposition to see it. 

22 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Great to see more of your videos. Good game on your part.Two observations, both with regards to basics.

First, on the one GA you showed, while I realize it was somewhat screened, put the replay to slow mo and freeze it right as the puck passes by: there seems to be a lot of room for it to go in between your body and the post. Especially on a screen shot, your centration to the puck is extremely important – that’s how you generate those “hit me saves”

Second, while it didn’t (at least directly) burn you in the above game, I would say work on rebound control, specifically, directing the rebounds out of harm’s way, as a number of rebounds off your body ended up in the proverbial "kill zone". At the very least, it you draw a line from the left post to the left dot and same on the right side, you want any rebounds to go outside those lines. Ultimately you want to direct rebounds to the corners of the rink. It’s a linear relationship: the closer you can direct rebounds into the corners of the rink, the lower the scoring odds are for the opposition.

Unfortunately, with that efficiency, you will reduce rebound shots and the need to make "highlight reel" saves, which many seem to think is the trait of a good goalie, but as per usual, I say good goaltending is boring goaltending...

@Ghostender yes, 100% I struggle with centering on the puck. Especially when the player is on the off-wing side. And yeah, before the shot, the puck went below the dot so I should have been on the post with my left foot correct?

And you are also right on the rebound control. Still getting used to the pads and blocker. A lot of times the puck comes off really hot and gets into the corner easily, but there are some odd spots where it dies a little that I'm still figuring out.

20 hours ago, cwarnar said:

You look horrible... Must be the Optiks... Sell them ASAP... TO ME!

Kidding of course.  Skates are huge comfort thing... I've had 4 skates in my regular blacksteel and just now am feeling solid in them.  I can only imagine the adjustment to new heights on your wheels

I posted them in another thread, but I now have Vertexx cowlings on my VH boots which, while still tall, is back down in the "reasonable" category. The VH holder is just crazy tall. Hopefully I see some improvement on that front.

15 hours ago, Fullright said:

Looked pretty good to me. You do a nice job of pulling the puck back to yourself and freezing it. Strong glove too. Watch your "double coverage" on your stick side. Your blocker seems to be in front of your right pad some. The strength of your glove explains some of the room on your glove side? The skates may had have a lot to do with these two things. Bottom line: nice game!

What got you so pissed on the first goal? Giving up goals pisses us off but I don't know you want the opposition to see it. 

Thank you, I'm going to watch that "double coverage" issue closely. 

Yeah, so I have a tendency to be hard on myself and emote during games. I'm known to slam a stick/post etc. I just thought I should have picked that puck up, although I found out later it was a deflection too so not such a soft goal. I know, I need to start doing the Holtby water bottle squirt or something to calm my mind...

5 hours ago, Imperative said:

Do you think the extra height in the vH holders is messing with your t pushes? Does the extra height help with the lateral pushes? 

I do think its messing with my skating. It genuinely feels like being on stilts. I thought over time I would adjust and I’m short so I would certainly like any help I can get in the height department, but it just hasn’t happened. This could also partly be because I have played as a skater for 30 years so my skating style is whack in the first place, who knows. 

Not that I have any business thinking I’m anything like him, but Carey Price talked about the difference skating with the VH holder in that InGoalMag article - the part that I related with was when he talked about not being able to execute a T push without shifting his weight over first because of the extra height. That’s what I think I’m feeling.

In terms of the lateral pushes, yes, the extra height helps lower the attack angle so you have to raise your back leg less to get bite on the back skate. I’ve been pretty comfortable with executing slides in other, shorter skates, so I’m hoping that doesn’t affect me too much, but I guess we’ll see. I’ll post another video next week after my next skate.

My latest pickup session. Big change here is I am not in the Vertexx cowlings with my VH boots.

So, dumb move on my part, I had almost no warm up so no time to get used to the cowlings. I felt like things improved in the second half, but as you’ll see from the first goal (on the very first shot no less), I was totally not familiar with how to move in these at the beginning.

This session was also a little difficult because it was mostly older players so there was a lot of off-speed stuff and I have a harder time handling that than harder shots I guess. 

Here’s my self-assessment:

Good:

- With the new cowlings I really feel like my movement on my feet is better. I feel way more comfortable with T pushes and shuffles.

- Also when I focused on it, getting back to my feet seems to take a lot less effort. I am really trying to recover to my feet as much as possible and rely on sliding less. In the second half of the video I think I do pretty well with that.

- Also in the second half, I did a little better than usual with not drifting back into the net. I really have to concentrate on setting my feet to do this.

- I was happy with how I played the puck a few times (mostly not on camera because it was behind the net). I’m feeling so much more comfortable with the CR1 than I’ve ever felt with any other stick I’ve tried.

- My pads look sick and I got lots of compliments lol :)

Bad:

- Butterfly pushes/slides are going to take some getting used to in the cowlings. I definitely have lost some attack angle because they are shorter but I think the benefits of feeling much more comfortable on my feet with eventually outweigh this.

- Main thing is I think my technique was shit before and I was way over relying on the tall holders/steel for that extra angle. I know see that I need to actually plant my foot, rotate and make a push. Before I was just kind of waving my foot at the ice and because of the tall steel plus the Optislide advtange on my pads I was getting away with it. In the second half I really started to feel more comfortable, especially sliding into the RVH and I felt myself getting even more powerful pushes than before because my I think my technique is better. I need to get on an open ice session and just work on that to get the feel.

- I’m still struggling mightily with my angles. Focusing on head tracking and keeping my hands in front of my body is helping, but clearly I’m not doing it all the time. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give!

I thought you were good. Yes, the gear looks hot but I suppose the more important question is does it help you do the job? Looked like it did.

For angles, you kind of solved your own problem. You stayed closer to your net and the goal line until you needed to come out. Doing so means you're already likely squared up. Also, much less double coverage with the blocker. Good job!

@Punisher Goalie

Thanks for posting... I should probably look into getting some video of myself as well so I can do things like this. A few notes...

• Not sure if it's the OptiSlide o not but you get almost too much slide on occasion... going past square. (3:30 mark example) I know the knee blocks are pretty solid but try to be up a little taller in the torso (less leaning back on your butt) so you can apply added pressure w/ the lead knee to slow the slide.
  • OptiSlide may be at play on this too but there seems to be a knack for sliding backwards when you go down into a butterfly for a save. Other reasons might be getting into an almost seated position with your butt driving down and creating momentum, or just generally not truly setting yourself and having backward momentum from skating.
  • Nice save at the 5:08 mark. RVH is tough to truly do properly with standard pegs. You can't really get that push off the post like it really needs to be effective but you were able to keep your eyes on it and reach.

@Fullright Thanks! Yes, I am really happy with the Optiks. Every skate in them confirms that. And it helps my confidence that they look good too!

@BadAngle41 Definitely get the camera and film yourself. This has been the single best thing I’ve done for my game. 

Great point about sitting back on my butt and getting too low. I’m definitely going to work on that. I’m hoping to get on the ice at an open session where I can just work on skating and basics. 

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@Punisher Goalie What do you use for filming? Getting my small taste of me on video has me wanting more.

GoPro Hero5 Black. 1080p 30 FPS, Superview. I have it in a dive housing mounted to a ratcheting pole mount (picture below) attached to the center bar. This only works at this rink because the center bar does not have any padding.

For official games, they don’t allow cameras in the net or inside the glass, so I put it on a suction cup mount outside the glass. My next step is going to be to wear a mic in my C/A to add audio.

957EA205-AA34-4C84-B714-DA7BD52EFDD5.thumb.jpeg.58349905f7171293da6154b58861a6af.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

GoPro Hero5 Black. 1080p 30 FPS, Superview. I have it in a dive housing mounted to a ratcheting pole mount (picture below) attached to the center bar. This only works at this rink because the center bar does not have any padding.

For official games, they don’t allow cameras in the net or inside the glass, so I put it on a suction cup mount outside the glass. My next step is going to be to wear a mic in my C/A to add audio.

Gracias.

And maybe avoid that second part? No offense, but I don't think many of us want to hear you huffing and puffing while swearing. :D

Archived