Punisher Goalie's Videos

Punisher Goalie

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you switched from the vh holder to the vertexx cowling is it also a switch from 4mm to 3mm steel? I have the old vh skate with vertex holder and 3mm steel, I had to go from 1/2” to 3/8” in the 3mm. Crappy part is that even though I use step steel I have to get them sharpened every 2-3 skates before I don’t have the edge I feel I need.

2 hours ago, Imperative said:

When you switched from the vh holder to the vertexx cowling is it also a switch from 4mm to 3mm steel? I have the old vh skate with vertex holder and 3mm steel, I had to go from 1/2” to 3/8” in the 3mm. Crappy part is that even though I use step steel I have to get them sharpened every 2-3 skates before I don’t have the edge I feel I need.

I got the 4mm Vertexx 2.0 cowling (the One80). I keep the same 1/2” hollow. 

6 hours ago, Imperative said:

I didn’t realIze you could put a cowling on the cowlingless two piece. I thought that with the protective toe cap it would fit into a cowling

I may be the first one on this board to have gone from cowling-free to a cowling. I took a HARD shot to the ball of the foot without the cowling and though my foot was broken (it wasn’t). You just have to make certain the cowling fits.

Carey Price also uses a cowling on his True boot.

8 hours ago, Imperative said:

I didn’t realIze you could put a cowling on the cowlingless two piece. I thought that with the protective toe cap it would fit into a cowling

According to my LHS, it was a perfect fit in a size 8 cowling. YMMV of course since it’s a custom boot. The VH toe cap is reinforced but pretty rounded, unlike the squared off toe on the 1S/1X line. Not sure they’d fit in any cowling, if that’s what you’re considering. 

@bunnyman666 I’ve taken a shot to the VH toe and haven’t felt anything but I have to admit I feel way more confident with the cowling now. Just one less fear crowding my brain. At the moment that fear is replaced by fear of whiffing on my pushes, but hopefully I correct that soon...

Got another game video up. Camera was only on one side so I only got myself in the 2nd period.

Overall I’d give myself a B. It was a 4-3 win with all 3 opposing goals coming from their ringer. The first two goals came in the first period and were top-shelf snipes, one blocker side one glove. I was in reasonably good position and could have made the saves but didn’t. 

The third goal (shown in video) I made the first save on the left post, but he slapped it out of the air and over my head in the RVH. 

Self assessment:

Good:

- Skating on my feet felt very good. Getting way more confident in these cowlings with T-pushes and shuffles. 

- I think I did a better job than usual of staying higher in my crease and drifting back less, although I still did that often.

- I really focused on having an active stick this game and not shown in this video, during the first and third periods, I deflected a bunch of passes from below the goal line.

Bad:

- Still adjusting to executing good lateral pushes with these cowlings. I am doing a better job of getting back on my feet though.

- I’m not doing what others have pointed out here that I need to do - that is not drop my butt down in the butterfly. I was able to correctly do it a bunch of times in warmups, but in the game not so much. I need a solid hour-long open ice session to just work on this and other skating techniques. 

Please let me know what you think! Thanks again!

On 2018-02-11 at 3:14 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I may be the first one on this board to have gone from cowling-free to a cowling. I took a HARD shot to the ball of the foot without the cowling and though my foot was broken (it wasn’t). You just have to make certain the cowling fits.

Carey Price also uses a cowling on his True boot.

I realize if you ordered the true boot that they can mount it to a cowling, I didn’t think the cowlingless two piece boot which has a protective cap would be able to fit into a cowling as it is designed to stand alone without a cowling.

On 2018-02-11 at 5:36 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

According to my LHS, it was a perfect fit in a size 8 cowling. YMMV of course since it’s a custom boot. The VH toe cap is reinforced but pretty rounded, unlike the squared off toe on the 1S/1X line. Not sure they’d fit in any cowling, if that’s what you’re considering. 

@bunnyman666 I’ve taken a shot to the VH toe and haven’t felt anything but I have to admit I feel way more confident with the cowling now. Just one less fear crowding my brain. At the moment that fear is replaced by fear of whiffing on my pushes, but hopefully I correct that soon...

I know if I went to the two piece cowlingless I would never go back to a cowling. I currently wear the old vh with a Bauer vertexx cowling. I would like to buy the two piece vh but I’ll need to make some sales of all my excess gear, maybe in the off season so I could sell my current skates too.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:54 PM, Imperative said:

I was in the same boat w/ the 3mm steel... especially the soft stock Bauer stuff. Best solution I have found is adding the DLC to your next steel purchase. I used Tydans... but Step offers the Diamond Like Coating as well. Keeps the edge much longer.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:07 PM, KootenayKeeper said:

@Punisher Goalie Just wondering about your camera and the mounting position. It looks like you have about 20' behind the net.

Congrats on the win!

Using a GoPro Hero 5 Black on 1080p 30 FPS Superview. 

I had it mounted pretty high on the glass, somewhat aimed down, and with superview you get that somewhat distorted view. 

Here’s my latest pickup session.

The Good:

- I continue to feel better and better skating with the Vertexx cowlings. I really like the performance while on my feet and I continue to get better about recovering to my feet. 

- I had the chance to play the puck a bunch (not many times on camera because it was behind the net) and I am happy with how I did. Making better decisions, reading the play, etc.

- I’m sorry to say this again, but I look good :) The pads and the retro Caps jersey...

The Bad:

- Having a lot of trouble with sliding while down. I 100% am happy with being forced to be on my feet more as I was way over-reliant on sliding before, but that said, I really miss having that move in the tank for emergency movements. I’m going to try Step Extreme Steel I these skates, because it will leave me right in between the VH holders and the stock Vertexx steel in terms of height. I’m hoping this gives me back some of the attack angle without feeling too tall and negatively effecting my skating. The benefit here is I can easily swap the steel.

- I initially thought I just got sniped on some of the goals, but reviewing the video I was off angle. Especially coming off the post, I am way over-anticipating the play and leaving the backside open. 

- I am struggling a little with rebounds. Not sure if maybe its partially my pads breaking in a bit, but sometimes they fly off into the corner and sometimes they jump off a little, but so far for me to freeze. Entirely possible this is just me directing them incorrectly, but I need to pay more attention to that.

Anyway, thanks for watching and please let me know if you have any advice!

31 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

The Bad:

- Having a lot of trouble with sliding while down. I 100% am happy with being forced to be on my feet more as I was way over-reliant on sliding before, but that said, I really miss having that move in the tank for emergency movements. I’m going to try Step Extreme Steel I these skates, because it will leave me right in between the VH holders and the stock Vertexx steel in terms of height. I’m hoping this gives me back some of the attack angle without feeling too tall and negatively effecting my skating. The benefit here is I can easily swap the steel.

- I am struggling a little with rebounds. Not sure if maybe its partially my pads breaking in a bit, but sometimes they fly off into the corner and sometimes they jump off a little, but so far for me to freeze. Entirely possible this is just me directing them incorrectly, but I need to pay more attention to that.

Anyway, thanks for watching and please let me know if you have any advice!

So took a look to see if I could give some advice on the sliding. You didn't do too many backside recoveries so it's hard to tell.

Though, from what I saw, it looks to be weight distribution that's the issue. You seem too heavy on either side of the leading leg and this can cause some issues. I mean you should have 0 issues doing any sliding techniques in a Vertexx holder + Optik set. But without really seeing more examples I don't think I can comment too much of what may be plaguing you. Just practice some more till you get it.

Also, you've got one large case of rodeo arms. :P

As for rebounds, it looks more to me of rebound control than the pads. A couple times you weren't square and kind of off angle, this can definitely lead to weird bounces.

Rebound control is a tricky thing, especially off of the pads. I think it is much easier to control a hard shot off of the pads as opposed to a soft shot. A hard shot is easy to send off into the corner a soft one is easy to put just out of reach to cover the puck and in a dangerous location for a rebound scoring chance. 

On 2/16/2018 at 1:07 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

So took a look to see if I could give some advice on the sliding. You didn't do too many backside recoveries so it's hard to tell.

Though, from what I saw, it looks to be weight distribution that's the issue. You seem too heavy on either side of the leading leg and this can cause some issues. I mean you should have 0 issues doing any sliding techniques in a Vertexx holder + Optik set. But without really seeing more examples I don't think I can comment too much of what may be plaguing you. Just practice some more till you get it.

Also, you've got one large case of rodeo arms. :P

As for rebounds, it looks more to me of rebound control than the pads. A couple times you weren't square and kind of off angle, this can definitely lead to weird bounces.

Lol I tried googling “Rodeo arms” but have no idea what that means :) Except I think I do...

In this video, I know there aren’t many examples of sliding - prob because I knew I was struggling I was recovering to my feet as much as I could.

Of course you’re right about technique. I need to get on the ice for some solid skating practice.

16 hours ago, Imperative said:

Rebound control is a tricky thing, especially off of the pads. I think it is much easier to control a hard shot off of the pads as opposed to a soft shot. A hard shot is easy to send off into the corner a soft one is easy to put just out of reach to cover the puck and in a dangerous location for a rebound scoring chance. 

Well, that’s certainly a good point too. The composition of this pickup skate is such that there is a lot of variety in skill. 

Hard for me to tell from the camera angle , (not a fan of the in net view), but it seems to me that a lot of your rebound issues are caused from not using your stick. seems like 80-90% of those shots could have been directed out of harms way by making a stick save instead of just letting them hit your pads... active hands. 

Pay attention to Imperative's videos, does a great job using the stick to direct rebounds.

just an observation, may or may not be helpful.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:44 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Ultimately your arms should be controlled and sealing holes and ready to react if need be. 

Of course, that's all easier said than done. Everyone tosses the old arms up here and there. 

On 2/19/2018 at 11:57 PM, KootenayKeeper said:

I've been thinking about using the medicine ball drill to help keep the arms tight to the body.

http://ingoalmag.com/video/medicine-ball-can-build-better-goalies/

http://mihockey.com/2016/04/lerg-medicine-ball-training-drill/

Nice. I was not able to take a medicine ball on the ice, but I did try a few drills in the gym, just to get the feeling of dropping to my knees, then recovering laterally with the weight out in front. Certainly something to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest pickup session. Put the camera on the glass this time. I’m going to try to do that more often so I can see more of the play.

I felt just OK about my play. I did make a lot of pedestrian belly saves (which I cut out of the video) which hopefully means I was on angle for those. There were also several where I got a piece of the puck but not enough to direct it out of play. 

In case anyone is wondering, I switched into my 1S set and plan on rotating between those and the Optiks because the Bucky on my Optiks is starting to take a beating from 2+ ice sessions a week. I don’t really have any difficulty adjusting to switching between the two (yep, the mistakes are all me, no equipment to blame...). 

The main thing I’m trying to focus on is keeping my hands out in front of me, especially for lateral movements. As @coopaloop1234 correctly pointed out above, I have “rodeo arms” syndrome, particularly when recovering from the butterfly. 

Anyway, I welcome any and all comments and suggestions!

ETA: I was also really trying hard to take @old but slow‘s suggestion of using an active stick to control rebounds. Definitely did not do it perfectly or consistently, but starting to get a sense of what I need to do. Thanks!

Archived