Help - CCM Axis ColorZone Decisions

BadAngle41

Help - CCM Axis ColorZone Decisions  

6 members have voted

1. 1. A number of variations on a theme... description and pictures below...

• 1 - A Mix, H White, Binding White, Backing Red, Strap Red
    • 2 - A Mix, H Mix, Binding Black, Backing Red, Strap Red
    • 3 - A Mix, H Black, Binding Mix, Backing Red, Strap Red
    • 4 - A Mix, H Black, Binding Black, Backing Red, Strap Red
    • 5 - A PureGold, H White, Binding White, Backing Black, Strap Red
    • 6 - A PureGold, H Mix, Binding White, Backing Red, Strap Red
    • 7 - A PureGold, H Mix, Binding White, Backing Red, Strap Black
    • 8 - A PureGold, H Mix, Binding White, Backing Black, Strap Red
    • 9 - A PureGold, H Black, Binding White, Backing Red, Strap Red
    • 10 - A PureGold, H Black, Binding White, Backing Red, Strap Black
    • 11 - A PureGold, H Black, Binding White, Backing Black, Strap Red

As some of you may know, I have a thing for retro looking gear. BUT, I sold my 2X Pro setup and while I can go the route of another Bauer Digi-Print set, I think Axis will be a better fit for me. While CCM has done a fantastic job of giving consumers an enormous number of options with all of the color zones, I prefer a minimalist approach to their latest graphic, and the devil is in the details for me. Thus I'm offering up a number of combinations for your feedback...

My rationale for obsessing... 1. my team wears white so all white might just be meh... 2. adding some black to the glove (not all pieces have to matching color zones though)... 3. prefer the wear of black bindings to white (a little OCD)

39430222_JFXWeaselsMockup04.thumb.jpg.ba29b968e30d6fa69705898f977583c1.jpg

These combinations are somewhat subtle variations on a theme for sure and the main zones I'm paying around with are more-less accents...

1. Zone A - Leg Pad Outer Gusset, Glove Back Cuff, Blocker Back Nose
  2. Zone H - Leg Pad Landing (mainly), Glove T and Back Finger Tips, Blocker Side Board & Fingers
  3. Binding
  4. Leg Pad Backing
  5. Leg Strap

In no particular order...

01_AMix_HW_BW_BR_SR.thumb.jpg.5257704e192271e5ea06287efb0ea21e.jpg

02_AMix_HMix_BB_BR_SR.thumb.jpg.d1983e54d4e09fbd359295bd88d01c0b.jpg

03_AMix_HB_BW_BR_SR.thumb.jpg.3770eb7cfd0a0fb36640cbfc47cafa9e.jpg

04_AMix_HB_BB_BR_SR.thumb.jpg.aefd6d861cbaf740cda4d1ecdd7480db.jpg

05_AG_HW_BW_BB_SR.thumb.jpg.8ecef71e2e4e3b3cbc396345b8d5a6e7.jpg

06_AG_HMix_BW_BR_SR.thumb.jpg.c09540dc47dc7b7cb9f98b5ef7b0003c.jpg

07_AG_HMix_BW_BR_SB.thumb.jpg.8b801edd2855d6afc432eb8d1dcb3659.jpg

08_AG_HMix_BW_BB_SR.thumb.jpg.12c0e2dee3546549a3a538c5d691d399.jpg

09_AG_HB_BW_BR_SR.thumb.jpg.10d0c3bc94a3aa5600ebebc6b355e769.jpg

10_AG_HB_BW_BR_SB.thumb.jpg.00db2e682b4ec32534395cfcd0683a53.jpg

11_AG_HB_BW_BB_SR.thumb.jpg.207c50b530d5600bae9c12ab451725ef.jpg

Your team jerseys don't leave a lot of configurations or experimentation. With such a heavy influence of white with a bit of black, you really do need to go with a minimal look. 

Which is fine, you can make some great looking sets that match, but I feel that you really need to play into the majority white theme with the accent colours. It's why I chose #2. Where #3 is almost the same except for the black sidewall, it seems to be too much in relation the jerseys. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Your team jerseys don't leave a lot of configurations or experimentation. With such a heavy influence of white with a bit of black, you really do need to go with a minimal look. 

Which is fine, you can make some great looking sets that match, but I feel that you really need to play into the majority white theme with the accent colours. It's why I chose #2. Where #3 is almost the same except for the black sidewall, it seems to be too much in relation the jerseys. 

100% agree. It's also why I sorta liked the retro tan EFs and printed leather 2X Pro with them... was something different from the black and white. As I continue to obsess (and as @Chenner29 pointed out to me) the black backing with red strap on the leg pad compliments the front of the pad well too. Something like these...and maybe use white on the landing surface... i dunno... at some point i'm just overthinking it...

AMix_HMix_BW_BB_SR.thumb.jpg.9e225f4e76ac1da39b48445c7de58904.jpgAG_HMix_BW_BB_SR.thumb.jpg.d180922ab5d449476dd8d78674b29512.jpg

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That first revision set wins for me. Chenner is right. 

I actually toyed with a number of 90% Pure Gold setups... figuring it's no different than an all tan set in that it doesn't go with anything so it goes w/ everything... but wife's response of "Did you win some Olympic medal I don't know about or something? Because to wear gold pads you'd better have won something." absolutely took any and all wind out of that sail.

47 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I actually toyed with a number of 90% Pure Gold setups... figuring it's no different than an all tan set in that it doesn't go with anything so it goes w/ everything... but wife's response of "Did you win some Olympic medal I don't know about or something? Because to wear gold pads you'd better have won something." absolutely took any and all wind out of that sail.

Ouch, wife went straight for the juggular eh? :rofl:

11 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

100% agree. It's also why I sorta liked the retro tan EFs and printed leather 2X Pro with them... was something different from the black and white. As I continue to obsess (and as @Chenner29 pointed out to me) the black backing with red strap on the leg pad compliments the front of the pad well too. Something like these...and maybe use white on the landing surface... i dunno... at some point i'm just overthinking it...

I guess you can call me..........................the color commentator

19 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I've seen some nice pads with a mixture of black, and grey. Can add some white as well.  You can do so much more in front I think. 

15 hours ago, Drew37 said:

I would go with something like this and lean into the red accent and have the front lines match with the lines of your jersey.  Just did the pads but would match the gloves as well.

501927F7-C697-4A47-B7CC-8B98B9052395.png

You're both very right in that I'm leaving A LOT on the table with my proposed use of color zones compared to what CCM's graphic is capable of... but keep in mind... my wish would be for the Axis pad in the Retroflex skin. So for me... not having tan or brown is a pretty big step outside my box. I mean I haven't intentionally matched a team's jerseys in probably almost 10 years,

I did play around with the use of those lower stripes to mimic the jersey like you pointed out... but... and i know this sounds crazy... it was just busier than I'd like. I do appreciate some of the schemes I've seen on social media that really maximize what CCM has offered up... but I think I'm just a simple man when it comes to my own gear. 

Not a big fan of the Axis graphic at all actually.  I found your jerseys the first I’ve seen where you could make the graphic work.  Understandable, I’ve always been a bigger fan of a minimalist graphic myself.

6 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

You're both very right in that I'm leaving A LOT on the table with my proposed use of color zones compared to what CCM's graphic is capable of... but keep in mind... my wish would be for the Axis pad in the Retroflex skin. So for me... not having tan or brown is a pretty big step outside my box. I mean I haven't intentionally matched a team's jerseys in probably almost 10 years,

I did play around with the use of those lower stripes to mimic the jersey like you pointed out... but... and i know this sounds crazy... it was just busier than I'd like. I do appreciate some of the schemes I've seen on social media that really maximize what CCM has offered up... but I think I'm just a simple man when it comes to my own gear. 

Archived