Simmons UL7 & Vaughn V3 7000 Catcher Refurbish

ArdeFIN

Then we are getting to the interesting part.

The holes in plastic and where else.

First the thumb protector, no big issues here. Just one new hole for the thumb strap. Original was 15mm off and turning the strap almost into twist. At the same time I used a little heat to curve the pocket side in to make some room for the pocket.IMG_20200604_174718.thumb.jpg.cfa3a0cef277b571d4affefca3cb5c68.jpg

Then the palm plate, three holes need to be moved, marked with black marker. I took the marks through the Jenpro as these are right next to each other so holes must be too.

Bottom part on the image I took about 5mm off from the break edge as it was pushing the pocket over the break and making it cramped (later more about this).

IMG_20200604_192206.thumb.jpg.82a16e8b2835967801f4af06f84157fe.jpg

• Like 2

Here's the pocket for the plastic before cutting the edge of the plastic. Simple thing and easy to fix, and as it was the shape of the plastic failed the break.

IMG_20200604_182428.thumb.jpg.575eb3a65ed0c8caab64e9fab7f315cb.jpg

Finger part of the palm Jenpro. Yes I left three of those metal rings there as they were in ok condition and will streghten that spot. There's a lot of stress to the lace and edge. Small pocket for plastic seen here too.

IMG_20200604_182310.thumb.jpg.c6da9c37cbc4f6ab4f245331d8121606.jpg

When trimming these plastic parts, remember to double check every dimension before. It's not repairable and needs a new plastics when failed.

And it was atleast fairly working unit before the project so there cannot be big mistakes done. Hopefully the small fixes make it better.

Edited by ArdeFIN
Textype
  • Like 2

Then the soft part. First a photo od how they were. You can see the break has some rubbing there, and only one cut, while in the Jenpro there is clearly a two line break. And also there is a narrow plastic at the break too, no photo of it at the moment.IMG_20200604_193212.thumb.jpg.c5f21e28075383e964f55819485c7c1e.jpg

Also the thumb part is a bit too big to some direction, which I wasn't able to completely determine yet. But I did take cut off from break line for starters.

The finger protective was cut 15mm twice, then the parts stacked with double sided tape for break line. The rest will still be more than enough for the finger area. New 5mm holes punched already there. 

IMG_20200604_194756.thumb.jpg.67f9ab4a4178faef7104112e97c10192.jpg

For material, finger part is a bit densier foam than thumb, 4mm in thickness, thumb part is 8mm in thickness. So the new break line part is about the same thickness as thumb part. Will be interesting to see how it'll work. But it's fairly easy to get rid of half of that thickness.

• Like 2

From washing and cleaning, I'm unhappy for someone who in the past has used some heavy cleaner on this Simmons. The Ts lip is full cracks in Jenpro surface. Damn I'm so short of Jenpro I should've replaced the lip part. But as of now, it's only sewn back in a little modofication, remains to be seen how this will work.

I'll get a bit deeper into this T project later.

IMG_20200604_171615.jpg

IMG_20200604_171608.jpg

• Like 2

Today was the day when all came back together. Well, no. But in a quick method yes so that I could get a feeling of it and how the parts fit.

First disappointment was the break, still the plastic is pushing in and against. Will cut a little more there but, still the break was quite funcrional now. Only bending on one line but so does my V6 1100 and it's a lovely one to use.IMG_20200605_185815.thumb.jpg.e365dd4658134ab4aa0a5138ad9d5420.jpg

Then to the T and fitment. It's very okeyish, wish I had a little more room to stretch it out for bit more of pocket but that is for now. It's not bad anyways.

IMG_20200605_193155.thumb.jpg.f70e5edd1210fed89b1e232b4a4f6554.jpg

• Like 1

Closure is spot on, here you can adjust it to bend to either side or be like this one, straight forward. Now use the marker on the holes to attach the T. And remember to check that the outside and inside parts are about aligned so that the cord later will not bend anything.

IMG_20200605_193224.thumb.jpg.f9cd59e6ed7c146e6ab6b0890057ca25.jpg

Holes punched, there are quite a lot of them now. I used a little more of the marker to mark the holes to be used when putting it back together.

IMG_20200605_193602.thumb.jpg.758eea3c7ba4f15877eb35068c9e26e1.jpg

The black plastics go inside the lip of the T to strenghten it and keep it nicely lined. They end just before the holes to easy up the closure. And about 20mm clearance at the T break for smooth operaton and longevity. Those plastics can easily dig their way through the Jenpro if there is something misaligned, or the T is beaten to open up. Plastics are holding their own place without any glue or so, just tight sizing.

Inside the right lip there also the 2mm leather strip that was removed earlier, sewn in with the Jenpro. Left the leatherstrips away from the left side, I don't know if they would've been any use there.

Edited by ArdeFIN

While being together and playing with the T, I noticed that the inside fabric, Nash maybe, was quite loose at the break. Like there wasn't enough filling, and it felt really annoying. So when I pulled it apart again, I made some additions to the padding. 4mm LD foam with strong glue, originally from carhifi sound deadening.

IMG_20200605_204818.thumb.jpg.d41e4b3482cd883ce199670305425094.jpg

And also some cutting to reshape the parts to fit better.

IMG_20200605_204803.thumb.jpg.603edfa6a24e71a03c729d9e4268a409.jpg

At the cuff side there is a gap between edge and foam, but the edge is rolled up towards the top piece and plastics also added, with a slice of 15mm thick LD foam.

Tomorrow it'll be the day of putting it back together, and for good this time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

While being together and playing with the T, I noticed that the inside fabric, Nash maybe, was quite loose at the break. Like there wasn't enough filling, and it felt really annoying. So when I pulled it apart again, I made some additions to the padding. 4mm LD foam with strong glue, originally from carhifi sound deadening.

IMG_20200605_204818.thumb.jpg.d41e4b3482cd883ce199670305425094.jpg

And also some cutting to reshape the parts to fit better.

IMG_20200605_204803.thumb.jpg.603edfa6a24e71a03c729d9e4268a409.jpg

At the cuff side there is a gap between edge and foam, but the edge is rolled up towards the top piece and plastics also added, with a slice of 15mm thick LD foam.

Tomorrow it'll be the day of putting it back together, and for good this time.

I also use this foam all the time. Thanks to the already applied glue, it is very convenient

Before assembly I cut small slices away from the thick foam to fit it better and make the transitions under palm smoother. And while there I cut the plastic a little from places where it was over the Jenpro edges.

IMG_20200606_161127.thumb.jpg.bf259a100caa50906c21ffa33263eea0.jpg

Looking through the pics before I noticed the nash(?) Inside was pulled in by the break cord so I cut the padding there to allow a little pulling to tighten in the nash.

IMG_20200606_161409.thumb.jpg.d5b4d9b6948f3c926d070b3773775943.jpg

• Like 1

And while it was a good way of getting together I noticed there was a missing eyelet which had to be fixed. Luckily not so much backwards, Jenpro, sewing, hole, a little cutting on the plastics edge to fit better. And here we go again. Just had to go backwards so much that the sewing was easy enough, actually took only 10 minutes for the whole extra job.

IMG_20200606_174835.thumb.jpg.89e24822efa8b69ccf77ae920c79c42b.jpg

Now it's complete including the cuff part. Little disappointment was there again waiting to be found. The break line cord was just too short for the new structure. The problem here is that it goes through that plastic which has only 3-4mm holes so I cannot use the 5mm paracord needle here. But it's only a little difficulty to resolve and a little extra to do to make it right.

Tomorrow might be a good day to make the pocket laceing.

I took a little video to this beasty off, but can't attach it here can I? Or should I take it directly to here from "choose files -> video"?

Edited by ArdeFIN

It's working maybe?

Hopefully and also hopefully this vid shows enough if not everything.

Managed to change the break cord, first tried to melt the old and new together, but the joint formed too big.

Then I just heated the the end of the new cord so that it nearly melts, roll it between fingers and formed a needle like point. 

Time for some webbing. I wanted to go with Brians style webbing for the sides, it's so cool looking and very flexible. Painful to get it going but once it's on the run it goes with a little effort. Mid lane of the double is something like CCM uses, maybe a bit less twisting together.

IMG_20200607_161818.jpg

IMG_20200607_161824.jpg

• Like 1

Lacing is ready but the extras are to be cut later after a little playing around with tennis ball and puck to see it's working properly.

The volume of the pocket is huge, tennis ball isn't stuck in between webbing even with tight closure.

IMG_20200607_161833.jpg

IMG_20200607_161811.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

I had to take one backwards with the wrist nylon. I forgot to put it in bucket with vinegar. And oh my dear it stinks! The water turned yellowish right away.

The lacing of the cuff to palm might be a little problem as there is no flap over it and as such it might dig into my wrist when using the glove. Just have to find some nash or such soft material, Jenpro is no-go as it will get slimey with some sweat on it.

Yep, that is Jenpro there from factory. Stands up well against friction but not very pleasant feeling to skin.

IMG_20200607_164702.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN

Then after a thought for it I found a leftover from kneeflap, which I turned upside down, some binding and ready. Feel very good now, a little lift up for wrist felt good too. It's no more than 5mm thick, but it's the smallest details in the end.

IMG_20200608_110353.jpg

So today was thr first ice since march and I had to choose between this Simmons and a Bauer Reactor 9000 which was completed in april I think. Good choices but took the the Simmons with me and liked it a lot. One odd hit to base of pinky I felt otherwise just catch and have fun.

The double T and huge pocket isn't exactly what I prefer, I don't like the feeling when I catch a puck and keeps rolling around in the pocket. No escapers here as the closure is super tight and easy so it's just the feeling. Single T kills that movement right away.

Well that is issue in the warmup only, while in the game there's not so many glove saves afterall. 

Project accomplished 👍

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 6:39 PM, ser33 said:

Good job. This glove is a clone of the Vaughn v3 glove. I have one and soon I will be engaged in its restoration

Thanks to this I have my eyes over a Vaughn unit now, it's single T with black/white graphic (basic model?). It's listed at a local 2nd hand store with 35eur price tag. It's been repaired with zip ties and what ever and from pictures looks like some plastic works are needed too. When I have time to stop by I'll see it through IRL and offer 25-30eur which would be a go for an old glove.

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nicely done!

Thanks.

Hopefully these repair/mod projects give ideas and innovation for future. And it might be useful to know whats inside and why it is there.

And the thread is open for conversation about, maybe not this exact unit but anything involved. I'm also interested to learn and evolve. These things that I do I've tested to work, but they aren't the only way nor absolute best way to do.

Edited by ArdeFIN

10 hours ago, Smeds35 said:

This was the coolest thing, next time you do this you should do like a timelapse thatd be so cool to see!

Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks. I could take a timelapse if can find my specific camera. I don't know if it'll be anything interesting as there is so much of thinking and spinning around to figure things out.

Just reopened my Total One to see why it's so damn stiff to close. Got it better any many ways, but it's still stiff. And yet when on ice it softens to a useable form. To stiffen back when dried. Air drying, no heat involved.

Compared to this Simmons it's still stiff when using it, and this Simmons is just plain godlike to use. I'm a bit in love I think.

Now I'll go grab my gear up for an hour of icetime. With Simmons I think. 🥰

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1