Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

I was hoping for at least a sprinkler to twirl in, but sadly, no. 

I told my captain as my advocate that my request is twofold: at least 30 minutes and some use of indoor space with a chair/bench.  

If they can't accommodate that because it's risky AND then allow us to play hockey where social distancing is not and will not be a thing, then I've lost hope in humanity's ability to reason. 

Absolutely. The no dressing rooms, especially for a goalie is rediculous. 

You want to preach social distancing, go for it, you can still easily do that by restricting total players in each room.

So I passed out halfway through my ice time tonight. XD

Heat exhaustion (it's happened to me before. I recognized what was happening, got myself to the bench, got some of my gear off). I'm fine, damn body just forgot that it needs to sweat when I'm standing on my head.

Other than that my ice time went great! Looking forward to next weekend

• Like 2

10 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Absolutely. The no dressing rooms, especially for a goalie is rediculous. 

You want to preach social distancing, go for it, you can still easily do that by restricting total players in each room.

Agreed. I keep thinking if all else fails, they could still use the "lobby option". Most Rinks I play at have relatively large lobby. You could put up separator curtains like they use in ERs (plastic sheet, so easily washed down) and light to move out of the way. If they made even just a few of these "cubicles" in the lobby  then at least goalies could get changed.

This seems to be yet another example of where rule-makers didn't think it out - one size does not fit all and in the case of goalies, some extra thought needs to be put in, Unfortunately I bet none of the rule-makers are goalies... Would be nice to get one of them, throw a bag of goalie gear in a Corolla and say, "there ya go - hop in and suit up".

I'm hoping that we can influence the authorities when it comes to Goaltenders and the need for a dressing/undressing area.  We have 130 players on our club, represented by an executive of 5 people of which 3 of us are 'tenders.  Yes, we have an agenda.

Two of the rinks I frequent had a "no goalies"  rule at stick and puck. I approached them and said I just wanted to go out to work on technique, moves etc. As I assumed, the rule was actually written to mean they didn't want people shooting on goalies (yeah, I know, stick and puck here is different from most other places).  It actually took about a week to get cleared in one rink because they had to talk to the director of programs or something like that, but after considering what I wanted, they didn't have any issues with it and were happy to let me on the ice.

Of course I barely made it into my second stick and puck session when the rink attendant comes up to me and says "hey, do you want to get in net and we can do some shootout practice?" I suggested to him the rink didn't really want that happening to which he just shrugged and said something to the effect of "meh, its not a problem with me".

Two points from this story: First,  a lot of times people (when I say people I mean those behind the counter) read the rules and parrot it it without considering what is really desired or practical. Second, as I said in an earlier post, it really doesn't take long before apathy sets in...

We had our first ice time this Thursday.  It was interesting.

We had to start getting ready in the parking lot, no bags are allowed in the rink.  Once inside, skaters would put on their skates, gloves and helmet while goalies pretty much put on everything past the pants.   That was definitely a different experience for sure.  It would have been nice to at least have 10 chairs in the lobby but as it is a small entry space I can understand why this did not happen.

We were only allowed 2 goalies and 8 skaters which made for a lot of ice time for everyone.

Once we hit the ice it was mostly a stick & puck type of event.  We were not allowed to play a proper game or scrimmage.  It was just shots on net with both goalies just trying not to pull our groins.

After our ice time was over we had to remove our gear in the entry way again, down to our skates and then finish up in the parking lot.  There were no showers, just a bunch of sweaty guys removing gear down to skates and then rushing outside to beat the clock.

No surgical type masks were required but we were advised that there was to be distance between us.

As this is a private training rink and they are trying to not get shut down again we were doing our best to follow all of the rules.

We will see if the rules relax a little as it sounds like the city run rinks will start opening in the next couple of weeks.

Keep safe everyone! I also respect the decisions that must be made in each individual's circumstance.

4 hours ago, Naz said:

The guy at Timmy's looked at me funny when I stopped in to grab my pre-hockey coffee....

First Hockey.jpg

Considering their roots, they should have not only given you a free coffee but thrown in a donut as well...

P.S. How was the session?

Edited by Colander

18 hours ago, Colander said:

Considering their roots, they should have not only given you a free coffee but thrown in a donut as well...

P.S. How was the session?

I was not nearly as gassed as I thought I was going to be, and not even stiff the next day.
It was... interesting.  The sub for each side could not even sit on the bench, they had to sit on a chair in front of the dressing room door.  I guess so the arena staff does not have to disinfect the benches between each group.
Playing again Friday and Saturday.

19 minutes ago, Naz said:

I was not nearly as gassed as I thought I was going to be, and not even stiff the next day.
It was... interesting.  The sub for each side could not even sit on the bench, they had to sit on a chair in front of the dressing room door.  I guess so the arena staff does not have to disinfect the benches between each group.
Playing again Friday and Saturday.

Interesting - if I recall in that rink, you can see the dressing room doors from the ice surface, correct? It would be a bit difficult in some rinks where the dressing rooms are down a walkway not visible from the ice.

1 minute ago, Colander said:

Interesting - if I recall in that rink, you can see the dressing room doors from the ice surface, correct? It would be a bit difficult in some rinks where the dressing rooms are down a walkway not visible from the ice.

Yep exactly.  But with only one sub per side, guys would JUST sit down after walking from the bench, and they would have to get back up again and walk to the bench to go on the ice.

2 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Cool! Let us know how it goes!

It went great! Couple of stinkers from a few months of rust, but that'll happen. I think the rules where I'm playing allow for 25 skaters or something. Dressing rooms have every other stall blocked off, so I've got enough room for once. Physically it's the best I've felt on the ice in a year after tearing an adductor off the bone a year back and then getting reinjured in January. Looking forward to playing again tomorrow!

• Like 2

So far, I haven’t been asked to go on the ice yet - nor have I sought it out. I was asked to be a regular in a pick up game starting September, but with so many question marks around more important things like work schedules for the wife and I, school and childcare, there’s no way I can commit.
I just don’t feel ready for it with so much “new normal” in every other facet of life. I guess I’m in the minority though? For me, I waited about 35 years to be able to play, and most of that time was spent assuming I never would. Finally getting to play was a super-bonus indulgence in life, only to be undertaken when all the other responsibilities of my grown up life were well in hand.
I’m struggling to identify what circumstances I’d be comfortable enough in to return to the ice. But since I started this whole thing when my personal circumstances were damned-near perfect, the current rules and circumstances are a far cry from being comfortable for me personally.

In addition, I’m terrified to think how many beer leaguers are going to return to the ice, having done little or no physical fitness maintenance or exercise, and have some sort of devastating injury - or cardiac event.

Please be safe, fellow goalies.

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

..., and have some sort of devastating injury - or cardiac event.

Please be safe, fellow goalies.

OK – I know there’s a lot of young guys here ( for me young = <35) so there’s probably not a lot of consideration for this, but one of the bigger issues as we get older is exactly that – cardiac.

As per @Lucky Pucker's comment, especially with a return after a layoff like this, there is always a concern with respect to over-stressing the system. And yes, even the young guys probably play with some older goats (present company included).

The bigger issue here is, at least in Canada, while I believe most arenas/rec centres are mandated to have an AED, the "missing link" is, do you know where it is in your facility? Remember most facilities are multi-purpose, so the AED won’t necessarily be near the rink.

When you sit in the change room, poll the people in there: if there isn’t at least 2 people that know where one is, I’d suggest you rectify that situation .

BTW I f you are interested, check out “PulsePoint” (https://www.pulsepoint.org/). I haven’t tried it, but apparently the app  allows you to locate the nearest AED – who knows…

Oh, yeah - stay safe from me too

Edited by Colander
  • Like 1

Filled in for a tender here in Winnipeg last week.  First skate for me.  15mins before game.  Got out there with 1 min left in 3 min warm up.  Played 3 15 min periods with flood after 2nd.  Full benches.  Was fun to be back out there washrooms were locked so sweaty short drive home.  All in all not bad.  Need to up my speed getting dressed though.  I even went in my base layer.