Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

1 hour ago, loki1416 said:

Come on man. The thread was cleaned up, why are you poking the bear? Just f'n drop it.

I don't see why you need to make references to animal abuse. It's a very serious issue. If you wish to read more about bear abuse, please visit the World Animal Foundation.

But getting back on topic: I haven't played hockey since October, I blew my knees out jogging, and now our summer roller hockey looks to be scrapped also. Hope to get back on the ice in Sept, but who the fk knows.

Until then I'm killing time. So anyone hear any good jokes lately?

First three games back are in the books for me.

First game was brutal, it was 90 degrees out and the rink doesnt use A/C much so I was a sweaty nightmare. It was a final game of the season for my normal team and they needed a goalie, ended up being a 4v4 the entire game. Definitely was sore for about a week.

Then our new season started 2 days later and still being sore from the first game, I actually felt pretty good.

Second game into the season when I was putting in pegs both my hips tightened up hard and I played through that while facing 30 shots (we actually had a score keeper for once!)

Overall not bad getting back on the ice.

Post game chapulas are amazing

• Like 2

Victoria BC
Played Saturday evening.  Same rink rules as before the November shut-down.  Arrive 20 minutes before and no showers after it.  I was pleasantly not completely gassed, and not sore the next day.  

12 minutes ago, Naz said:

Victoria BC
Played Saturday evening.  Same rink rules as before the November shut-down.  Arrive 20 minutes before and no showers after it.  I was pleasantly not completely gassed, and not sore the next day.  

Nothing beats jumping into your sweltering vehicle when you're still sweating from hockey.

mmmmmm

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Nothing beats jumping into your sweltering vehicle when you're still sweating from hockey.

mmmmmm

after getting out of my gear, I stood in the rink in shorts and t shirt for a good 5 minutes to cool down.  Then yeah, went to a stupidly warm vehicle.

6 minutes ago, Naz said:

after getting out of my gear, I stood in the rink in shorts and t shirt for a good 5 minutes to cool down.  Then yeah, went to a stupidly warm vehicle.

It's the worst part of all the safety theater too. This forced in/out is just absurd, especially at this point.

Luckily the arena that most people here are doing their drop ins through isn't very stringent on the locker room time. So lots of time to get dressed and undressed.

49 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's the worst part of all the safety theater too. This forced in/out is just absurd, especially at this point.

Luckily the arena that most people here are doing their drop ins through isn't very stringent on the locker room time. So lots of time to get dressed and undressed.

Theater, perfect word to describe this madness.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

mmmmmm

54 minutes ago, Naz said:

We are back here in California, too.  Fortunately showers are back open and we are playing at what's basically a brand new rink that the Ducks practice at.

Unfortunately, the facility was designed with with the ice sheets spread out lengthwise instead of as a square.  Parking is next to the entrance near sheets 1 and 2, so if I play on 3 or 4 I'm walking a pretty nice distance and I'll be sweaty again by the time I'm back in my car...lol

Here's a link for you guys to explore on Google maps if you wanna take a look, if you're on browser you can click the little person in the bottom right to get these little blue dots on the map to pop up.  When you click the little blue dots, you can see some pics of the facility from the inside

https://goo.gl/maps/YLCTvtBr21PkRJzF7

35 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

We are back here in California, too.  Fortunately showers are back open and we are playing at what's basically a brand new rink that the Ducks practice at.

Unfortunately, the facility was designed with with the ice sheets spread out lengthwise instead of as a square.  Parking is next to the entrance near sheets 1 and 2, so if I play on 3 or 4 I'm walking a pretty nice distance and I'll be sweaty again by the time I'm back in my car...lol

Here's a link for you guys to explore on Google maps if you wanna take a look, if you're on browser you can click the little person in the bottom right to get these little blue dots on the map to pop up.  When you click the little blue dots, you can see some pics of the facility from the inside

https://goo.gl/maps/YLCTvtBr21PkRJzF7

I zoomed out on the GoogleEarth view, and the Rush song "Subdivisions" immediately popped into my head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Man that google maps view seems to be way out of date.  What is that air strip that is right there?

The rink and the surrounding park sits on a decommissioned air force base that moved out of here in...1993?

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Looks so desolate in the surrounding areas too. lol

Was going to comment about how much worse Cali weather is, but looking at the Irvine temperature, it's currently less than up here in Vancouver.

It's mostly done now, looks pretty nice. That lot to the north east of the rink is still empty.  No idea what's going in there...I think they were plotting on putting retail there, which makes sense given the surrounding residential areas.

The leftmost building houses three rinks, and that vertically oriented one to the right houses the arena. All of them are connected, although it looks like they were constructed separately.  Rinks are numbered 1 through 4 from left to right.

That dirt lot to the south west before you hit the fire station is the main parking lot. 

If I have a game on Rink 4, I'm basically walking across 5 or 6 rink widths to get to my car, it sucks. I've started to park in the EV lot to the south east and pay to charge my car just to save myself the extra work.

5 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

If I have a game on Rink 4, I'm basically walking across 5 or 6 rink widths to get to my car, it sucks. I've started to park in the EV lot to the south east and pay to charge my car just to save myself the extra work.

Not as bad as 5-6, but the largest rink complex here is 4 rinks side by side, and twinned.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.251337,-122.9704792,263m/data=!3m1!1e3

That place is always busy year round.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:37 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Looks so desolate in the surrounding areas too. lol

Was going to comment about how much worse Cali weather is, but looking at the Irvine temperature, it's currently less than up here in Vancouver.

Summer hockey on the east coast - we get the humidity that's nuts. Some nights I leave the rink and it's over 90% humidity and over 80 degrees still at midnight. By the time I get home in my Jeep, it looks like I just left the ice.

As a fat guy - I dream of living in Colorado/Utah where the humidity is single digit.

Edited by MTH

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Summer hockey on the east coast - we get the humidity that's nuts. Some nights I leave the rink and it's over 90% humidity and over 80 degrees still at midnight. By the time I get home in my Jeep, it looks like I just left the ice.

As a fat guy - I dream of living in Colorado/Utah where the humidity is single digit.

Yea, I've visited the Michigan basin in the middle of summer one year and I absolutely loathed it.

11pm at night, 40 deg, 90%+ humidity. I was sweating buckets just standing around.