Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

Just played this past Sunday for Game 1 of my 2nd season back since March 2020 and skills are coming back. The previous season games were rough to start but got better toward the end, but still some rust. This last game felt a lot better and stamina is also increasing. 

Now been invited to a Beer League Tourney in Vegas (Sept 23-26) and debating GO - NO/GO due to the rising delta variant numbers. I'm fully vaxxed (as is my immediate family) but sharing a hotel room with a fellow player that might not be vaxxed is concerning as I don't want to be on the receiving end of a 'breakthrough' case if I can avoid it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mckinneymagnum said:

Just played this past Sunday for Game 1 of my 2nd season back since March 2020 and skills are coming back. The previous season games were rough to start but got better toward the end, but still some rust. This last game felt a lot better and stamina is also increasing. 

Now been invited to a Beer League Tourney in Vegas (Sept 23-26) and debating GO - NO/GO due to the rising delta variant numbers. I'm fully vaxxed (as is my immediate family) but sharing a hotel room with a fellow player that might not be vaxxed is concerning as I don't want to be on the receiving end of a 'breakthrough' case if I can avoid it. 

What happens in Vegas, stays? Covid too? 😮

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Three weeks ago we were advised that our hockey would resume on Sept. 13 (City of West Kelowna).

This week that was rescinded and hockey is put off "until at least October." Our provincial government (British Columbia) will be issuing COVID-19 Passports by mid September.  We fully expect that anyone who has not received at least one vaccination we be prohibited from entering the Arena as either a spectator or player.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Three weeks ago we were advised that our hockey would resume on Sept. 13 (City of West Kelowna).

This week that was rescinded and hockey is put off "until at least October." Our provincial government (British Columbia) will be issuing COVID-19 Passports by mid September.  We fully expect that anyone who has not received at least one vaccination we be prohibited from entering the Arena as either a spectator or player.

Luckily our rinks are still planning on going ahead and won't have any closures, though we'll probably do the passport thing too.

But way to go for screwing this up for the rest of us down here. Damn Kelownians

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, creasecollector said:

I hope there is no more interuptions from here on out. My main league is supposed to start in September as well (here in Ontario). I won't mind getting a passport or showing vaccination status if it keeps things open and the season moving forward. 

I hope so too considering I'm set to get married in London, Ont. over thanksgiving lol

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 2:49 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Luckily our rinks are still planning on going ahead and won't have any closures, though we'll probably do the passport thing too.

But way to go for screwing this up for the rest of us down here. Damn Kelownians

Alright, I'm taking the bait.  Our numbers were down, way down from the Lower Mainland, until July 1 and the party crowd arrived in Kelowna.  The first hint came when 6 of our waterfront bars/restaurants began to get scary high positive numbers, both staff and guests.  These haunts are the favourites of the 20-40 year old crowds. Any of you feeling a little uncomfortable yet?

Tourists come for a good time and typically spend their $$$$ on fun stuff, simple fact.  We have a history of welcoming hordes of tourists and our economy depends upon this infusion of spending. But this time they left us with additional "gifts".  So for the first part of the summer we were targeted by Dr. Bonnie and associates and rightly so.  Our numbers blossomed.

Over the past couple of weeks some interesting stats have surfaced. Enderby, Armstrong and even Vernon have vaccine rates between 48% - 60%. Some locals have claimed that these towns are agriculture based and the workers are too occupied in the fields to bother with vaccinations.  And then there's the Kootenays where similarly low vaccine numbers are popping up, an area known to welcome the independent crowd (draft dodgers and hippies in the 60's), not that there's anything wrong with alternative lifestyles. Spend any amount of time in the Nelson area and enjoy the differences, fun place for sure. How about the ultra religious sects living in the area and discover another tight, joint living community who shun many of life's amenities, including conventional medicines.

All of these diverse areas are included in the Interior Health bubble. Admittedly, Kelowna has attracted many of us still living fossils who moved here from across Canada to live our Golden Years.  Perhaps not so surprising is that our 60+ age group possess a vaccination rate well into 80% but we can be susceptible to the virus more so than you young bucks.  This week our 55+ and 70+ teammates have been polled and out of 120 hockey players 2 have chosen to not receive any vaccinations and will not be eligible to play hockey until BC Health decides differently.

Am I a bit defensive on this subject, fuggin' right!

7 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ok guys there is the formal invite.  Bachelor party in London Thanksgiving weekend.

edit - wait, when is Canadian thanksgiving again?

It's actually not too far from @Lucky Pucker, a few hours really. 

6 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Alright, I'm taking the bait.  Our numbers were down, way down from the Lower Mainland, until July 1 and the party crowd arrived in Kelowna.  The first hint came when 6 of our waterfront bars/restaurants began to get scary high positive numbers, both staff and guests.  These haunts are the favourites of the 20-40 year old crowds. Any of you feeling a little uncomfortable yet?

Tourists come for a good time and typically spend their $$$$ on fun stuff, simple fact.  We have a history of welcoming hordes of tourists and our economy depends upon this infusion of spending. But this time they left us with additional "gifts".  So for the first part of the summer we were targeted by Dr. Bonnie and associates and rightly so.  Our numbers blossomed.

Over the past couple of weeks some interesting stats have surfaced. Enderby, Armstrong and even Vernon have vaccine rates between 48% - 60%. Some locals have claimed that these towns are agriculture based and the workers are too occupied in the fields to bother with vaccinations.  And then there's the Kootenays where similarly low vaccine numbers are popping up, an area known to welcome the independent crowd (draft dodgers and hippies in the 60's), not that there's anything wrong with alternative lifestyles. Spend any amount of time in the Nelson area and enjoy the differences, fun place for sure. How about the ultra religious sects living in the area and discover another tight, joint living community who shun many of life's amenities, including conventional medicines.

All of these diverse areas are included in the Interior Health bubble. Admittedly, Kelowna has attracted many of us still living fossils who moved here from across Canada to live our Golden Years.  Perhaps not so surprising is that our 60+ age group possess a vaccination rate well into 80% but we can be susceptible to the virus more so than you young bucks.  This week our 55+ and 70+ teammates have been polled and out of 120 hockey players 2 have chosen to not receive any vaccinations and will not be eligible to play hockey until BC Health decides differently.

Am I a bit defensive on this subject, fuggin' right!

Definitely defensive, I was just hassling ya. 

I live in Surrey, I know full well being lumped in to the "degenerates" despite being an upstanding citizen. 

• Haha 1

Vaccine or no vaccine, you can still get sick, you can still transmit.The only real difference is how sick you get and then again, it can still vary per case and per individual.

It seems that most of the vaccinated crowd think that being inoculated stops the virus in its tracks, period. That is not so. Some common sense prevention still needs to be taken like washing hands, wearing masks and keeping your distance if sick or have an immune compromising condition.

Whether you are vaccinated or not, everyone's choice is personal and should be respected. We don't need extremists on either sides. 

And taking into account my first paragraph, to see our governments impose a "privilege/VIP" like statue (Quebec and soon possibly Canada) with vaccination inner-provincial passports and allowing large crowd gatherings ONLY if you are vaccinated is illogical and an oxymoron in itself.   

Please understand that this in MY personal observation and opinion. I'm not looking to start a war or point fingers or accuse anyone or groups and their personal choices.

I love you if you are, I love you if you are not. 

The real fight isn't over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:27 AM, RichMan said:

And taking into account my first paragraph, to see our governments impose a "privilege/VIP" like statue (Quebec and soon possibly Canada) with vaccination inner-provincial passports and allowing large crowd gatherings ONLY if you are vaccinated is illogical and an oxymoron in itself.   

:idk:

4 hours ago, RichMan said:

Vaccine or no vaccine, you can still get sick, you can still transmit.The only real difference is how sick you get and then again, it can still vary per case and per individual.

It seems that most of the vaccinated crowd think that being inoculated stops the virus in its tracks, period. That is not so. Some common sense prevention still needs to be taken like washing hands, wearing masks and keeping your distance if sick or have an immune compromising condition.

Whether you are vaccinated or not, everyone's choice is personal and should be respected. We don't need extremists on either sides. 

Being vaccinated makes you less likely to transmit to another person if you get infected; the period of time you're contagious is much shorter, and the viral load you carry while contagious is lower.

Common sense prevention should still be taken, but if everyone got vaccinated and no other measures were taken then the R0 would still drop below zero and COVID would eventually burn out.

Deciding what to have for dinner is a personal choice. Choosing to not get vaccinated, when you are able to, is very likely to kill or seriously injure someone, if not immediately then down the line. It's not comparable.

Restricting the sorts of public activities a person is allowed to engage in, when they refuse to uphold their social responsibilities, is perfectly acceptable. Human society has been doing exactly that since the dawn of time.

Edited by CJ Boiss
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

The line "even vaccinated people catch Covid, so what's the point of vaccination" drives me nuts.
I will use that same logic in another way
I can still feel a shot that hits me in the nuts, so what's the point in wearing a jock?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Naz said:

The line "even vaccinated people catch Covid, so what's the point of vaccination" drives me nuts.
I will use that same logic in another way
I can still feel a shot that hits me in the nuts, so what's the point in wearing a jock?

Ha. I took a direct nut shot last night and while it was incredibly painful, it would have been infinitely worse without a jock. 

The whole population of the world (8 billion people), or even a big majority, will never-ever be vaccinated for various reasons. COVID is something we have to accept and learn to live with

The vaccine wears out over time and/or doesn't protect from new variants, so a "booster shot" is required every 6-12 months. So even if everyone in the world did get vaccinated, after a year or so it's back to "zero" and start all over again.

Vaccines don't prevent you from getting COVID, it can reduce the effects of it, and the can reduce the viral load that you can transmit to others.

Taking any vaccine has inherent risks/side effects/etc. With new mRNA vaccines that have been pushed out quickly, alot is still obviously unknown and data is still being collected.

The government should not be forcing people to inject things into their bodies, and mandating "vaccine passports" to prove it (strange how fast so many people went from "puch a nazi" to "show me your papers")

On a final note, interesting study, the people who are most vaccine hesitant, based on education level,  are those with PhD's. To that I say: don't "follow the science", but rather "follow the scientists" ;)

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

That's not what the study says. Here is the link to the full pre-print text.

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=887104096000094083102017026126067007027014046014006078009029107034057005125018082036021107003003031066108015074011070007013115043054002048031094030106042017013088028076055101055013064074117031108059012094054093008003124022104091097114088095007126023027107067024028093100070022024127073000110&EXT=pdf&INDEX=TRUE

I would note that as a pre-print study, it has not yet been peer reviewed. Peer review could find flaws in the data or analysis that would negate the study's conclusions.

However, the study does not make any conclusions about vaccinated people as a whole group. It says that for these 62 people who had breakthrough infections, their viral load (as calculated by their own, in-house formula, which may or may not be accurate) was much higher than the general viral load for a random infected person picked off the street. This would be quite good evidence that the vaccine works - they needed to be exposed to much, much more than the average amount of virus in order to generate an infection, and they all recovered uneventfully. It is also not surprising that, as health care workers, they would come into contact with higher virus concentrations than the average person.

Edited by Teezle
more context.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, estogoalie said:

The whole population of the world (8 billion people), or even a big majority, will never-ever be vaccinated for various reasons. COVID is something we have to accept and learn to live with

The vaccine wears out over time and/or doesn't protect from new variants, so a "booster shot" is required every 6-12 months. So even if everyone in the world did get vaccinated, after a year or so it's back to "zero" and start all over again.

Vaccines don't prevent you from getting COVID, it can reduce the effects of it, and the can reduce the viral load that you can transmit to others.

Taking any vaccine has inherent risks/side effects/etc. With new mRNA vaccines that have been pushed out quickly, alot is still obviously unknown and data is still being collected.

The government should not be forcing people to inject things into their bodies, and mandating "vaccine passports" to prove it (strange how fast so many people went from "puch a nazi" to "show me your papers")

On a final note, interesting study, the people who are most vaccine hesitant, based on education level,  are those with PhD's. To that I say: don't "follow the science", but rather "follow the scientists" ;)

The mRNA vaccines have been studied for decades. With a focus on the Zika virus and the already existing Corona virus (pre covid 19) as early as 2007. This isn't new, what is new is the widespread use of it.

No one is forcing anyone to get vaccines. They're just dangling a carrot in the form of allowance of activities. There's a strict difference.

That whole study was taken solely from Facebook. I'd be very hesitant to believe a self survey of anonymous users on Facebook, especially a study that has not gone under any peer review. It's baseless. 

On 8/27/2021 at 1:47 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

" Viral loads of breakthrough Delta variant infection cases were 251 times higher than those of cases infected with old strains detected between March-April 2020. "

It's a study on the efficiency of the Delta variant to "break through" the current vaccine and/or that people that are vaccinated are able to transmit it. Something we've known forever. That headline isn't indicative of what the actual paper states...

Plus it's well know that world tribune is a heavily questionable "source" of any reliable information.

Why is every counter article that I see posted so easily put aside due to shoddy practices or misinterpretation?

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

The mRNA vaccines have been studied for decades. With a focus on the Zika virus and the already existing Corona virus (pre covid 19) as early as 2007. This isn't new, what is new is the widespread use of it.

No one is forcing anyone to get vaccines. They're just dangling a carrot in the form of allowance of activities. There's a strict difference.

That whole study was taken solely from Facebook. I'd be very hesitant to believe a self survey of anonymous users on Facebook, especially a study that has not gone under any peer review. It's baseless. 

The survey was done by Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh and had 5 million participants, it's not a Reddit poll with 20 people. And looking at other stats in the poll, eg. they found rural Trump supports and young black people are also very vaccine hesitant, I would say it mirrors many other surveys. I wouldn't say it's "baseless"...and how do you "peer review" an on-line survey anyway (?) :D

Regarding vaccine passports, it's not just like you can't go to a concert or something, people are losing jobs, kicked out of schools, not allowed to travel to see families, etc. Then there's the question of your right to medical privacy and other issues, eg. what if hackers download vaccine passport databases and dump all your details online somewhere? Oh wait, they already did that.

And yes, mRNA has been around a while. Here's a 3 hour interview with one of the inventors of it. He is himself vaccinated, but points out some issues and dangers about the vaccine and how it's being rolled out.

...and sadly, young, healthy people are also dying from the vaccine :( Yes, it's a very small percentage, but then COVID deaths in young, healthy people are also a very small percentage. So pick your poison. Literally.

1 minute ago, estogoalie said:

The survey was done by Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh and had 5 million participants, it's not a Reddit poll with 20 people. And looking at other stats in the poll, eg. they found rural Trump supports and young black people are also very vaccine hesitant, I would say it mirrors many other surveys. I wouldn't say it's "baseless"...and how do you "peer review" an on-line survey anyway (?) :D

Regarding vaccine passports, it's not just like you can't go to a concert or something, people are losing jobs, kicked out of schools, not allowed to travel to see families, etc. Then there's the question of your right to medical privacy and other issues, eg. what if hackers download vaccine passport databases and dump all your details online somewhere? Oh wait, they already did that.

It's still an anonymous survey of people on Facebook without any checks or balances for validity. I'd very hesitant to believe it at face value, especially as it hasn't been published.

Any scientific paper has zero weight until it is peer reviewed and published. Rejection can be fairly common in the scientific field, so there should be a large amount of skepticism involved.

None of your examples are really anything I consider to be unfair or rights that are being taken away. Did you know that there have been per-requisites for numerous types of jobs forever? Did you know that many places force health care workers to be up to date on their vaccines? Even wayyyy before covid?

Crazy right?