Covid-19 – The Steps Back to the Ice

Colander

10 hours ago, Colander said:

OK – I know there’s a lot of young guys here ( for me young = <35) so there’s probably not a lot of consideration for this, but one of the bigger issues as we get older is exactly that – cardiac.

As per @Lucky Pucker's comment, especially with a return after a layoff like this, there is always a concern with respect to over-stressing the system. And yes, even the young guys probably play with some older goats (present company included).

The bigger issue here is, at least in Canada, while I believe most arenas/rec centres are mandated to have an AED, the "missing link" is, do you know where it is in your facility? Remember most facilities are multi-purpose, so the AED won’t necessarily be near the rink.

When you sit in the change room, poll the people in there: if there isn’t at least 2 people that know where one is, I’d suggest you rectify that situation .

BTW I f you are interested, check out “PulsePoint” (https://www.pulsepoint.org/). I haven’t tried it, but apparently the app  allows you to locate the nearest AED – who knows…

Oh, yeah - stay safe from me too

Agree

I have posted this link before and here it comes again. Learn CPR. It's simple. It saves lives. 

Yes, find the location of the closest AED (Automated External Defibrillator) in your arena. It's simple to operate.  It saves lives.

Here's how I know.

Steve Berry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had my second ice-time tonight. Much improved. I was tracking the puck better, moving through the crease better. Almost felt like I had my pre-COVID form. (and I didn't pass out!)

My right hip felt a little tight. Need to stretch that out before I go to sleep.

Edited by CJ Boiss
  • Like 2

Tournament play went on as planned with no restrictions this weekend.  Full rosters.  Benches.  Box.  Open locker rooms.  Full contact during games.  The only thing they took away: no handshake line after games (which was weird since we all did usual celebrations after goals scored).  We did a stick salute instead.  It was awesome to get out there and eat up some live shots again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Agree

I have posted this link before and here it comes again. Learn CPR. It's simple. It saves lives. 

Yes, find the location of the closest AED (Automated External Defibrillator) in your arena. It's simple to operate.  It saves lives.

Here's how I know.

Steve Berry

Steve - thanks for this - great video which I hope it strikes a chord with a number of people!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 8:24 AM, TheWall0211 said:

Tournament play went on as planned with no restrictions this weekend.  Full rosters.  Benches.  Box.  Open locker rooms.  Full contact during games.  The only thing they took away: no handshake line after games (which was weird since we all did usual celebrations after goals scored).  We did a stick salute instead.  It was awesome to get out there and eat up some live shots again.

CovidLike.jpg

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2020 at 5:55 PM, daffy said:

... Need to up my speed getting dressed though.  I even went in my base layer.

I think it's in the genes: I'm one of those guys who can't get their pads on the proper legs if I am chewing gum while changing.

One goalie I used to play against, would come into the change room 15 minutes before ice time (i.e 15 minutes after I started getting changed), BS with whomever he was sitting beside as he got dressed and still be suited up before me. What a prick 😃

11 hours ago, TheWall0211 said:

Not a whole heck of a lot of coronavirus in North Dakota. I think there are a total of 200 actives cases in the entire state.

Ahhhh, I thought you were in Wisconsin, which is a serious hot mess.

Just played this afternoon in Fraser, Michigan north of Detroit. A regular invite-only group that usually plays on Friday nights was able to secure their first ice time today. Only restrictions were you must wear a face covering when you enter the building at least until you get to the locker room. No other restrictions.

It was fun. A lot of falling and flubbing of passes by all due to rust.
I have played floor hockey twice, as a forward, and soccer once, as a goalkeeper, so I have been keeping somewhat active. I’ve also done some yoga recently. However, my hip was a little achy while I played today.

This skate is one my girlfriend got me involved in because she works in Detroit. Sadly, she had to work today and was pissed she couldn’t play. 

Similar with my first pick up back yesterday. Masks and distancing in the rink (goalies dressing outside locker rooms) till on the ice. 16 + 2 goalies max and less dressing time than usual to clear and clean. Had fun though. Next one is Tuesday (pick up) + goal camp afterward. 

Originally scheduled to play Wednesday and Thursday last week as well but a contact scare caused delays. 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

In case you guys want an idea what the flagship league in Canada is doing for their new 4v4 league.

https://ashl.ca/summer-20-rule-changes/

It's going to be a confusing first few games.

Remember when you were a kid and you played scrub baseball, and there was always at least one point where there was a big argument over whether someone was safe or out? Remember how that used to chew into the playing time?

13 minutes ago, Colander said:

Remember when you were a kid and you played scrub baseball, and there was always at least one point where there was a big argument over whether someone was safe or out? Remember how that used to chew into the playing time?

Or arguing about if you tagged someone with two hands or not in touch football?

It doesn't look that complicated. Most of it is shinny rules anyways. Not switching sides, giving the blue-line on a frozen/out-of-play puck, giving the red line on a goal. The only changes to the game play that players (and goalies) really need to be aware of are:

1) "Visitor" team gets the puck at the start of the first half, "Home" team at the start of the second
2) Neutral zone is gone; red line separates offensive/defensive zones.
3) Penalty shots are awarded for penalties.
4) Goalies cannot go to the bench for an extra attacker.

Not having a neutral zone, with the red line determining on/off-side, will be the only genuinely confusing part. Mostly for the players though.

7 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

It doesn't look that complicated. Most of it is shinny rules anyways. Not switching sides, giving the blue-line on a frozen/out-of-play puck, giving the red line on a goal. The only changes to the game play that players (and goalies) really need to be aware of are:

1) "Visitor" team gets the puck at the start of the first half, "Home" team at the start of the second

Not having a neutral zone, with the red line determining on/off-side, will be the only genuinely confusing part. Mostly for the players though.

OK  the controversy starts - I don't agree with your point 2 - the red line only separates the  offensive/defensive zones on the breakout. On the attack it's still the blue line

"In order to gain the attacking zone, the blue-line remains as the line of entry for the purposes of the offside rule. Once the line has been gained and possession has been established, the red line now becomes the clearance line. Until the defending team clears the puck past the red line, the puck remains in the attacking zone."

7 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

It doesn't look that complicated. Most of it is shinny rules anyways. Not switching sides, giving the blue-line on a frozen/out-of-play puck, giving the red line on a goal....

WTF - is this how everyone else plays shinny? For the groups I play with, probably 30% of my GA are because my D gave it up below the dots after I froze the puck and then handed it off.

I used to play with a group that, when the  puck was frozen at the other end, if my team went for a line change  - and that was a painfully slow process - the other side would quickly set up the old 5 on 2 rush up the ice...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colander said:

WTF - is this how everyone else plays shinny? For the groups I play with, probably 30% of my GA are because my D gave it up below the dots after I froze the puck and then handed it off.

I used to play with a group that, when the  puck was frozen at the other end, if my team went for a line change  - and that was a painfully slow process - the other side would quickly set up the old 5 on 2 rush up the ice...

Yup that’s how pickups round here seem to be. Had my first since the lockdown and it went just like you described:) but it was like that before too. Barely time to grab a drink from the water bottle before another attack comes. 

58 minutes ago, benner33 said:

... Barely time to grab a drink from the water bottle before another attack comes. 

I see people posting how they have two water bottles on their net - never understood how that works. I usually have 50 - 75% of mine left at the end of the game as I don't get too many breaks that last long enough to take a sip. Can't count how many times I have been caught with my mask up and glove off trying to take a drink as the rush turns and comes back into my zone. More than once I've had to toss the water bottle behind me into the net as I struggle to get set up.

I usually just chug the better part of my water bottle in the changeroom after the game

17 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Played my first game last night and overall it was a pretty smooth process.

Though, I was the only one on the ice aside from the ref that knew about the floating blue line rule. Neither team was aware of it. I told my guys during the intermission and they picked it up pretty quickly.

We ended up scoring a goal because the other team was crying about a "missed" offside. They learned pretty quickly after that too. :P

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hitting the ice in September. Our rules pretty much reflect the comments above: Mask, half dressed, no showers, 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there, would you, could you on a boat with a goat, yaty yata and all the rest.

My beef or criticism is: have any of them tried to sit in a vehicle with an adult goalie chest pad and put on the seat belt, let alone try to lace-up your skates and strap on your pads while wearing the monkey suit?!? What will come of winter days? If we all show up with a mask on, what's the issue with the change room? Don't double book and alternate per double sessions so you have time to disinfect the room! The masks come off on the ice anyways. If guys fall down and make skin contact on the ice, will they stop the game to sanitize? Nahh. And after 5 months of no hockey (which some guys don't do other sports during summer to keep active and fit), once one starts coughing cause he's gasping for air and all the extra fat, alcohol and cigarettes (or something else) ingested during the summer break comes back up in the form or thick phlegm, are they going to ring the alarm and put a full lock down on the rink?!?

As much as I want to see our world get better, there has to be some common sense involved here. It's like going to the cashier to pay for your purchase and they don't have tap so you have to insert your debit card AND ON THE DEBIT MACHINE THEY PUT CELLOPHANE TO COVER THE BUTTONS. WHY!!?? TO PROTECT THE MACHINE FROM INFECTIONS??

I digress, sorry...