Fullright's 2016-2017

Fullright

12 minutes ago, Fullright said:

...Did hockey theory change at some point while I was out? Isnt the D supposed to be in a position to block the pass on an odd man rush and the goalie is responsible for the shooter? Some guys have it in their heads to attack the shooter which is new to me....

Yeah, that's the way it should happen, but unfortunately you are right, an inexperienced D will rush the shooter when they are puck-sucks.

I had a D-man execute a pretty well perfect play on a 2:1 the other night - stopping the shooter was sooo easy the way he played it - why can't it be that way all the time??

It's funny that a lot of people who play D don't realize how much of a difference it makes just putting a bit of pressure on his check. I always chide my D by yelling at them "don't let it be easy" for the forward. Just that simple bit of pressure so the shooter doesn't have time to set up the perfect shot (for example, your GoPro 93 at the 5:15 mark - again).

13 minutes ago, Fullright said:

...To answer your question, caught it cleanly. :)...

Wow - cleanly is an understatement!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

It's funny that a lot of people who play D don't realize how much of a difference it makes just putting a bit of pressure on his check. I always chide my D by yelling at them "don't let it be easy" for the forward. Just that simple bit of pressure so the shooter doesn't have time to set up the perfect shot.

This should be basic defending theory. Yet it isn't. Why would you allow an opponent an unbothered attempt on your goal? It makes no sense. It doesn't matter if you block the shot or even prevent it. At least affect the shooter. He'll either miss or take a less accurate shot. I'm not even talking about the puck and the defender's stick. Just get in his face and hurry him. Sadly even in the NHL you see mindless puck chasing by defenseman. Do they even teach defending anymore? All it is is shotblocking. 

When I play D (which is usual when I'm a skater) and facing a 2 on 1, I try to position myself so I push the shooter to the outside, while still maintaining the ability to intercept/block a pass.  Does it work?  Occasionally. :)

And don't worry about having those "down" periods in your game.  I think we all get a little "puck shy" once in a while.  Especially when you are nursing an injury.

Willie:

My thoughts exactly! I always tell D, for example, even if you can’t keep up to the carrier on a breakaway, chase him and yell, slap your stick on the ice, be generally annoying – whatever. Just let him know he doesn’t have all the time in the world. Same thing in the corners – I can’t keep up to Crosby, but at least I can make it so he can’t stand still and take all day to set up.

Dropout:

Exactly what I like the D to do: stay in the middle and get the stick in the lane. That way you (the D) doesn’t get sucked into covering one and leaving the other free and by putting the stick in the lane (on the ice) you either block the pass or force the passer to float a pass, increasing time for the receiver to corral and control it or possibly even blowing the pass altogether. But then being a goalie, it makes sense you know what to do.

Funnily, for a few seasons now I have played with a group in the summer where one of the D is really good at his position. Only recently did I find out that while he plays D with my group he is a regular goalie with another team. As soon as I found that out I realized why he was so good at D.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-08-09 at 2:32 PM, Ghostender said:

Yeah, that's the way it should happen, but unfortunately you are right, an inexperienced D will rush the shooter when they are puck-sucks.

I had a D-man execute a pretty well perfect play on a 2:1 the other night - stopping the shooter was sooo easy the way he played it - why can't it be that way all the time??

It's funny that a lot of people who play D don't realize how much of a difference it makes just putting a bit of pressure on his check. I always chide my D by yelling at them "don't let it be easy" for the forward. Just that simple bit of pressure so the shooter doesn't have time to set up the perfect shot (for example, your GoPro 93 at the 5:15 mark - again).

Wow - cleanly is an understatement!

When I was playing my way through minor hockey defence was always taught to take away the passing lane and force the puck carrier to the outside making his shooting angle worse and giving the goalie the better chance to cut down the angle and make the save. A couple of years ago I watched an interview with Holtby's goalie coach(before Mitch Korn) saying he wanted Holtby playing deep on odd man rushes, give the shooter more room to beat him short side in an effort to give Holtby a better chance at making the post to post save in the event there was a cross ice pass. That makes no sense to me. 

Maybe that's why he's no longer there. I mean seriously, who dreams this stuff up? I get that the game evolves and things change over time but sheez, I started organized in 1971 and it was always the D takes away the passing lane and the goalie takes the puck. Pretty easy stuff. For the coach to suggest that the goalie should stay deep and let a guy with a fancy smancy stick with NHL accuracy time and space to pick a corner is just bizarre. The coach being gone may also explain why Holt-beast is now generally considered one of the 3 best in the NHL. Or maybe Bobby Orr was wrong all those years after he learned from Doug Harvey. Clearly those two D-men didn't know what they were doing. 

• 1 year later...

oldish thread and I’m not sure who’s pointed this out yet.

i watched a few of your videos and in your stance your glove is off to the side, I honestly don’t care if you hold it old school or fingers up like I do, just make sure it’s in front of your body and you can see it in your peripherals. don’t worry I forget to do this a lot too. this will help especially if you’re in the butterfly and it helps with the aerial angle.

also, when you’re down maybe getting up and t-push recovery with your outside leg will help you recover a lot faster. eyes, then hands, then stick. you know the drill. I used to get told that a lot lol.

overall I love your style, it’s really fun to watch especially watching another southpaw like me. keep it up! 

Archived