Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hockey1234

Bauer Chest protectors-good or bad?

Recommended Posts

I’m in the market for a new chest protector and have heard both good and bad things about bauer chest protectors. I’m hoping to at least have the chest protector for two years and am going to prep school the year following this upcoming one. So I definitely need something which is very protective and loved the bauer 2s pro when I tried it on but just don’t know how protective it truly is. Thanks, all help us appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

I’m in the market for a new chest protector and have heard both good and bad things about bauer chest protectors. I’m hoping to at least have the chest protector for two years and am going to prep school the year following this upcoming one. So I definitely need something which is very protective and loved the bauer 2s pro when I tried it on but just don’t know how protective it truly is. Thanks, all help us appreciated!

Bauer C/A's are used everywhere from the show to the lowly beer leagues.

They're not the most popular brand, believe Vaughn is still rocking that title, but, I wouldn't worry about protection level in any off the shelf pro Bauer unit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't vouch for the 2S, but my 2X is lightweight, mobile and very protective.  I've taken a couple on the lower arms that stung, but I think I'd have felt those shots wearing most of what's out there right now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the chesty they just release, I wouldn't trust it.  My last Bauer chesty was an NXG and I loved it.

If you're also facing grade A shooters I'd recommend a chesty that's also beefed up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hockey1234 said:

I’m in the market for a new chest protector and have heard both good and bad things about bauer chest protectors. I’m hoping to at least have the chest protector for two years and am going to prep school the year following this upcoming one. So I definitely need something which is very protective and loved the bauer 2s pro when I tried it on but just don’t know how protective it truly is. Thanks, all help us appreciated!

Have you looked at any other companies? I'm not sure where you are located but I just picked up a Passau pro pack on sale and with the exchange rate I got a killer deal. So far its been very protective and I'm still getting use to the bulkiness but already feel more solid in it than my previous chesty. you can pick up a chesty that will last you more than just your two years while being possibly cheaper and more protective.

I'm not bad mouthing any other companies I haven't had any experience with them, in fact I tried on a Vaughn and loved it and still think about getting one just because it was so mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Looking at the chesty they just release, I wouldn't trust it.  My last Bauer chesty was an NXG and I loved it.

If you're also facing grade A shooters I'd recommend a chesty that's also beefed up

Ultrasonic definitely looks questionable. It’d take a pretty good deal on it for me to get one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up purchasing an ultrasonic chest protector. It felt protective and fit me well compared to a lot of other chest protectors on the market. I’m 5 10 and around 140 pounds so I often find chest protectors are too wide around my chest/waist area. Probably the best fitting I’ve felt for a chest protector and the mobility on it was insane. I’ll provide updates on the protection of it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using the 2S Pro, had an NXG for a bit a while ago too, the 2S is like a space age NXG honestly. Think curve composite making it feel lighter, but still solid. Doesn't wrap around you like a Vaughn or the more "mobile" units, so I can understand when people say they "feel" like it's not protective, but if you already liked the fit of it then I think you'll be good especially for just 2 years. 

@mr_shifty1982 @ThatCarGuy is it the new elbow floater design you guys are spooked by? The body looks like another NXG iteration, but don't see why the elbows would be less protective. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I've been using the 2S Pro, had an NXG for a bit a while ago too, the 2S is like a space age NXG honestly. Think curve composite making it feel lighter, but still solid. Doesn't wrap around you like a Vaughn or the more "mobile" units, so I can understand when people say they "feel" like it's not protective, but if you already liked the fit of it then I think you'll be good especially for just 2 years. 

@mr_shifty1982 @ThatCarGuy is it the new elbow floater design you guys are spooked by? The body looks like another NXG iteration, but don't see why the elbows would be less protective. 

The materials are very very questionable in the new one. I felt very protective in my nxg. After that I wanted to look bigger and went premier beefed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, there is a tradeoff between mobility and protection.  I'm willing to live with the occasional bruise to have the freedom of motion. After playing in one of these in high school, anything on the market feels like and improvement!

1108195650_DandR.jpg.d750b2943da8b11978667a68c4b701b3.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i`m still in my Custom Vaughn V6 beef up i never had one stinger!  best chesty i ever wear. i think all retail chestys at the moment are laking in protection on the arms.

Edited by Vogilny#25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a TGC Bauer NXG (about 6 years ago).  It was great.  I believe the TGC spec upgrade was in the arms

Edited by StevenC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

@Mroy31 not at all, I wear a G4 pro chest protector so I’m used to unusual arm designs just the Ultrasonic looks a little thin all around

Ah, got it. I haven't seen one up close but that's something I'd say most of the Supreme line feels like for sure. There's a similar feeling with all the OD1N style pads, where they feel very thin and like it's just kind of a board on the front of your leg.

It's hard to describe, but the thinner stuff does feel harder to compensate and it starts to really feel normal pretty quickly. I totally get that initial aversion to the stuff though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t speak for prep level players, but I have a 2x pro that I love - super mobile, comfortable right out of the box. I like it a lot more than my prior Vaughn (mobility issues) and CCM (fell apart on me in the aughts). I also just grabbed an Optik 2 (GM has a glitch that discounted it by like 30%). Super beefy but stiff and immobile out of the box compared to the 2x pro. I also have questions re the stock arms on any chestie as I have had ongoing issues with the occasional welt on the upper biceps area. Good luck on the purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    1,325
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    Mcnew 27
    Newest Member
    Mcnew 27
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...