Fullright's 2017-2018

Fullright

I thought the skate save at 0:11was awesome, but then 2:05 happened - are you f’ing kidding me?!?!?!?

0:40 – nice x-crease movement and at 5:38 - that could be the instructional video on how to ‘T’-push!

2:17 - the guy that flipped it in should have certain parts of his anatomy whipped with a wet thistle

4:50 Of course it wouldn’t be a real FR video without the prerequisite glove save  4:50

The headshots during warmup:  why is it everyone nods and agrees in the changeroom when it comes to checking that “hey we all gotta work tomorrow” but no one ever thinks about that in warm-up?????

On 10/17/2017 at 1:38 AM, IPv6Freely said:

They don’t happen in modern goaltending. Certainly not on purpose. But when you have somebody playing a style that hasn’t been used in decades it’s no surprise to see a save that also hasn’t been used in decades.

Not sure what you are alluding to with that comment. When you say a “style that hasn’t been used in decades” are you talking about the style that includes great skating ability, centration on the puck, depth, reading the play and reflexes that generally leads to keeping the puck out of the net?. I thought that style was still de rigueur. And most certainly, for those of us who weren't blessed with 6+ feet of stature, it is a mainstay.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone was rather spry during this skate. Rolling back the years. You should have headshots during every warmup. Pretty much all the typical Fullright highlights, but turned up to 11. 

I’d suggest not even taking warmup shots. Just stretch and do skating drills. Hockey players are too dumb and don’t think of anyone but themselves. You can’t rely on them to not hurt you. Same principal with players running into you in the crease. Get your hands up to product yourself.

Thanks for the kind words. My footwork is still slow and sloppy. It can't ever get it back to what it was but I am really enjoying hockey. 

Technical camera problems below. Apparently I misread how much juice was in the battery. At least the video is short. Need to adjust its settings also. The horizontal is not good and vertical needs to be lowered. The skate was good with much better balance between dark and white. Got to give a lot of credit to 2 of the D. They really worked and Robert, the camo guy, didnt scare them with his skills. I played ordinary. Neither good nor stink the joint out bad. No ice next week because of a tournament at the building. 

Thanks for spending the time. Comments welcome.

1:54: looks like you took it on the chin - literally.

In general, I thought your centration and depth were spot on. Unfortunately that combined with your calm feet makes a lot of difficult saves look easy. Might I suggest a bit more flailing and diving – works for me.

On 10/29/2017 at 3:52 PM, Fullright said:

Thanks for the kind words. My footwork is still slow and sloppy. It can't ever get it back to what it was but I am really enjoying hockey. 

Technical camera problems below. Apparently I misread how much juice was in the battery. At least the video is short. Need to adjust its settings also. The horizontal is not good and vertical needs to be lowered. The skate was good with much better balance between dark and white. Got to give a lot of credit to 2 of the D. They really worked and Robert, the camo guy, didnt scare them with his skills. I played ordinary. Neither good nor stink the joint out bad. No ice next week because of a tournament at the building. 

Thanks for spending the time. Comments welcome.

I thought your east west game was right on! You made a few great saves on 2-0’s. A few tough bounces of your players, haha. You were showing some real flexibility in this one too. 

Although the camera field captured the play better than the last few, I fought it this time out. I had trouble with rebounds, 5 hole shots, and was generally less than average. Being off for two weeks led to my being too anxious and not being in sync with the play. Try and gather it up better next week.

Thanks for checking it out. Advice welcome.

That blocker save at :25 was unreal!! Two weeks in between skates is really tough imo it gets you out of the rythm of the game and when you come back you feel out of sorts. I didn’t think you looked as comfortable as you usually are in there. I also thought you were getting no help from the D on rebounds.

Being a little off after 2 weeks is completely fine... I've been fighting play and I have been playing twice a week!

I have to say, I still love seeing that bright yellow blocker with the old style pads! Did you give up on the newer pads? It looks like you have been wearing the older ones for a while?

I’m with Cam – the blocker save was a thing of beauty. The basics come into play again though as, if you don’t get those good ‘T’ pushes in,  it doesn’t happen.

You may have felt trepidation, but I don’t think it showed. On the other hand, and again agreeing with Cam, your pylons*,….err D looked more like someone glued a table hockey player to the top of a Roomba.

The small point I noticed was, at 1:23 you are leading the player a bit – on that type of cut, 99% of the time the player will shoot back against the grain (which he did but put it over the net). I know you know it because you worked it on the play leading up to the save at 2:52.

*No offense meant to any pylons

@ Hills, I suppose I have. I still have them laced up in the basement to get the boot curve in them. I love them but I guess I am putting comfort over newness right now. Probably stupid by me because they are probably close to getting broken in the way I like them. 

Thanks fellas but I was spotty. I made some decent saves and got beat on awful goals. Below is some improvement. However, the drop-in syndrome was obvious here. D are always running around even if you nicely tell them to stay in position. So in effort to help myself out, I got too caught up in trying to break up passes from the corner to the slot and came off the post too early. That led to some pretty awful goals. I just need to stay on the post and if the pass is within stick range break it up or get my old a ss across to try and stop the shot. Just being too clever for my own good. Wrong leg recoveries are pretty obvious too. Lastly, the stick is kaput. The blade is warped such that clearing a puck or passing it is like I have the arms of a 5 year old. Time for a fresh one.

As always, comments welcome. Thanks for taking a look.

That was a sick kick save at 3:39, haha. Other than what you said cheating off the posts to break up passes I didn’t really see any real issues. Did you get a stinger at 1:05? I ask because I took 2 shots off the top of my left shoulder in shinny this week and it stung at the time and left a significant bruise and I don’t typically bruise easy

Thanks fellas. @ Imperative: weird impact. Caught me more at the top of the shoulder and base of the neck on the right side. Not a biggie; slid my right suspender down some more than anything.

This didnt go well. I was fully prepared and ready to go. But at about .30, I hurt my hamstring and at 2:01, I really did it in ending my night. Very disappointing outcome. I dont understand the hamstring at all. I tweaked it last Friday but by the following afternoon, I was 100% and had my usual week of lifting and stretching heading into Friday. I did my usual preskate routine and the same at the building. All I can figure is that I was about to split, tried to pull it back, and I not only felt it pop, but also heard it. A really poor injury which I am unable to explain. This type of problem is usually associated with conditioning and to be honest, I have that part of things handled even though I suck. Really a pisser.

That sucks. My last outing in goal ended shortly after it started. In my game last Monday I hurt my groin due to a slip out on one of the first plays of the game. I finished the period, but as a precaution I left the game after at intermission. I didn’t feel too bad, because the team we were playing didn’t have a goalie the last time we played and they started that night with no goalie. Also, my team deserved a night where they had to suffer without a goalie behind them. Interestingly the other goalie who showed up late left the game shortly after I left. So the third period featured zero goalies. I’ve been messaging and heating my groin all week and after skipping three skates as a goalie, I played as a skater last night and it felt good. However, it sounds like your injury is more serious. If you actually heard and felt a pop, that’s not good. How is it today?

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

Thanks fellas. @ Imperative: weird impact. Caught me more at the top of the shoulder and base of the neck on the right side. Not a biggie; slid my right suspender down some more than anything.

This didnt go well. I was fully prepared and ready to go. But at about .30, I hurt my hamstring and at 2:01, I really did it in ending my night. Very disappointing outcome. I dont understand the hamstring at all. I tweaked it last Friday but by the following afternoon, I was 100% and had my usual week of lifting and stretching heading into Friday. I did my usual preskate routine and the same at the building. All I can figure is that I was about to split, tried to pull it back, and I not only felt it pop, but also heard it. A really poor injury which I am unable to explain. This type of problem is usually associated with conditioning and to be honest, I have that part of things handled even though I suck. Really a pisser.

That sucks Fullright. It looks like a weird play, not nearly as stretched out as you usually get on a shot like that. Are you going to get it checked out? 

This is really new for me. In all this time, I've never ever had a ham. Groins but not this. The Mrs. is a nurse and she's positive it isn't detached. I do have three wadded up knots. One at base of my backend, a second below that one at the top of the back of the thigh, and a third half way down the thigh. Two of them are bruised. Been icing and just started heat today. Feels better but really stings. Try and do some very gentle stretch come the day after tomorrow if the pain is minimal. Next Friday just isn't going to be possible. 

The cruel irony: I had my annual physical this past Tuesday and the Dr passed me with the advice "keep doing what you're doing" and to keep playing if I "feel good". Lol. Also, like Imperative says, I wasn't doing anything to speak of when it happened. Kinda embarrassing really. :eyeroll:

2 hours ago, Fullright said:

This is really new for me. In all this time, I've never ever had a ham. Groins but not this. The Mrs. is a nurse and she's positive it isn't detached. I do have three wadded up knots. One at base of my backend, a second below that one at the top of the back of the thigh, and a third half way down the thigh. Two of them are bruised. Been icing and just started heat today. Feels better but really stings. Try and do some very gentle stretch come the day after tomorrow if the pain is minimal. Next Friday just isn't going to be possible. 

The cruel irony: I had my annual physical this past Tuesday and the Dr passed me with the advice "keep doing what you're doing" and to keep playing if I "feel good". Lol. Also, like Imperative says, I wasn't doing anything to speak of when it happened. Kinda embarrassing really. :eyeroll:

you must have twisted funny or something. Hopefully you are back to 100% soon. I kinda tweaked my groin against the canadians kicking at a puck, i wasn't stretched out or anything like that, i think it is the way i twisted when I kicked. 

• 3 weeks later...

First time back since the hamstring injury. I was very happy that I wasnt very busy and that white missed some players. Gave me a chance to get a skate in without incident. I didnt have to reach very much and was able to turn etc without pain. I just had some residual tightness after and it feels pretty good on Sunday. On the other hand, Anthony, the white goalie, was out of his mind. Dark bombed the hell out of him and he was brilliant. Should have had the camera behind his goal. 

Observations welcome. Thanks for checking it out.

I agree with Willie – you didn’t look like you missed a beat

Off the glove and x-bar at 1:55 – beauty, but it doesn’t happen without your smooth x-crease movement on the pass leading up to it!

The play at 2:19 was a goal by the way – we already had this discussion, and as no one makes those types of saves anymore, it didn’t happen – nice try though

The glove at 3:41 – you make it look easy-peasy, lemon squeezy, but I guess a young buck like you can do that kind of stuff ;)

Znow: don't mind at all, ask what you like. 5'5", 170. Thanks for the encouragement, fellas. It was not a heavy night and more than anything, I got some confidence or re-assurance that my leg didn't blow up when I pivoted. Still not sure if my legs open up but we'll see. Off camera, a skater dislocated his knee cap. Bad a ss: snapped it back in and continued skating. I told Anthony about the site. I hope he joins. 20 yrs old, can really play, is into gear, and a pleasant fella.

Fellow 5ft5 goalie here!

I really like watching your videos man! Keep it up! 

And I can image how strong you need to be at reading the play and reacting from there to get something on the puck to make that save, instead of us other butterfly guys who, in some scenarios, "play the odds" and spread out wider to make a save. 

Whichever style you play, goaltending does involve strong reads and a solid technical game, but I feel your style of play here can make you a great reader of plays and reading the shooters release after all these years seeing many different scenarios/shots on the ice.

Again, incredible stuff. Keep doing your thing! :)

Very kind thing to say, Mr. Crease. Luckily, when I came up, there wasnt a pre conceived idea that a goalie had to be at least 6 feet to be effective. So I got chances to play in junior or college that a person my size would likely never get these days. I was and am on the small size of the scale but most guys werent much bigger than I at that time (70s through the 90s when I played for real) and a fella Ken Dryden size 6+ was kind of an aberration. The only modern small guy I can think of currently is Jeff Lerge, who is pretty amazing. The theory of goaltending during my time and let''s say from the late 90s and more probably the early 00s was the same about angles and positioning but all other underlying assumptions or approaches about the proper way to play net have changed radically. Keep in mind also that I even though I am rostered, I dont play a significant number of games having played just two within the past three seasons. The skates I get in are usually pretty good and I wont skate with an over whatever age skate (too dangerous). But they are not games. So my results are probably affected by the lack of guys trying to win meaning that sometimes I might be more into it than the skater who played at 11 pm the night before. 

Speaking of that, I was just plain awful below. I had the office X-Mas party Friday afternoon (no booze but ate too much), the turnout was blah (we played 4 on 4), and I hate to admit it but the truth is I played lazy. Stung my hamstring again but I think I was overly worried about it after it happened. About the only good play I made was a "bomb" pass to a guy who scored. Try and do better this week.

Comments welcome. Thanks for checking it out.

Archived