Pad Strapping Database

TheGoalNet

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I hear that, BUT: I just got my first new pads in 13 years, and I specifically requested the 3 straps on the calf, two on the knee, etc. I understand that to some goalies, this is akin to buying a computer that runs Windows '98. But it was just a personal touch I wanted, for a few reasons:

• This isn't very progressive... but it's what I've always used, and it's always worked well for me. "If it ain't broke..." etc.
  • When I consider my level of play and the goals I let in, I don't believe the few extra ounces of leather strapping is ever going to make a difference in making a save or allowing a goal. I completely understand why NHL goalies, who should seek every little advantage, would feel differently.
  • I play once, maybe twice a week. I get to the rink pretty early so I can take my time getting dressed and have fun with my teammates, and I don't even notice the extra 100 seconds it takes for me to buckle my straps. Again, if I had to put on my pads every day, I might feel differently.
  • I still like my pads relatively snug and secure.
  • It has its uses, but I generally detest velcro. I like to keep my gear for a long time, and velcro tends to get so warped and fuzzy after a while, and the straps lose their elasticity. I plan to wear these pads into the ground or until I retire, whichever comes first... buckles seemed to be a better option for the long-run.
  • This one's silly, but almost all of my favorite goalies as a kid had the 3-2 strapping, and now it's just something that appeals to me, visually.

I totally get why people think this strapping setup is antiquated, and I don't really blame them - I definitely weighed my options and considered whether I was making a mistake. Ultimately, it just comes down to preference, like so many things we discuss on this board. I just wanted to show people that there are reasons to opt for an old-fashioned strapping system other than total ignorance ;-]

*For the record, these pictures were taken when the pads were right out of the box. I've made new holes in several of these straps, and shortened several of them to avoid having a foot of slack after I buckle them. Don't worry, I am adept at cutting the straps so that the ends are a rounded point like they originally were.

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

It works for you. No need to explain or feel like you must justify! 

Straps look good. 

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

It works for you. No need to explain or feel like you must justify! 

Straps look good. 

Thanks man! And I didn't mean for my post to come off as apologetic or anything, I certainly don't feel as though I need to justify my preferences to anyone :headbang:

I mostly just wanted to show there are reasons someone might opt for an antiquated strap setup other than being old (I'm 29) and clueless (no comment).

2 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Thanks man! And I didn't mean for my post to come off as apologetic or anything, I certainly don't feel as though I need to justify my preferences to anyone :headbang:

I mostly just wanted to show there are reasons someone might opt for an antiquated strap setup other than being old (I'm 29) and clueless (no comment).

Pads look good, and there is definitely a classic look that's apparent with leather straps that's missing on newer pads.

Even though we're the same age, we definitely have different tastes in aesthetics and function. I've found the newer age look to: 1. be far more functional and customizable, 2. look overall better. It's just preferences at that level anyways.

Though, I do need to question you on those open toes. :P

35 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Never took it that way!

You have a few years before you can say you’re old; 29 is just getting started!

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well to be fair, it makes a lot of sense to put leather straps on pads that are built in a much older style not meant for modern goaltending. 

Now, why somebody would want pads like that is beyond me, but to each his own!

You're assuming I play a modern goaltending style, which I really don't. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

The type of pads I wear have never made me feel unsafe, slow, uncomfortable, or like I'm at a disadvantage to the guy across the ice. And I certainly don't feel the style of pads I wear tend to make a big difference in whether I get scored on or not: I mean, this might make me a rarity amongst our community, but I'd estimate that almost every goal I let in is either the result of my own poor positioning/technique/athleticism, a team breakdown, or sometimes just bad luck.

That's really all I have to say re: my personal preference, but while we're on the subject... 

I'd imagine if you put every NHL goalie in some pads like mine on a Saturday night where every team is playing, there would only be a couple of extra goals scored league-wide than there would have been if everyone was wearing their current gear. I truly don't believe it would make a huge difference. And I do understand that for them, this margin of error could be the difference in getting a new contract, staying in the league, making the playoffs, etc. They have every reason to seek every advantage, no question. Do the advantages make a huge difference? We can't know, but I really don't think so. I think it's more about the mental edge. And personally, I get the same mental edge from my old pillow pads.

Modern pads are great for some, and I'm sure they do have some legitimate advantages. But don't forget, they're marketed to us, and we're told that all these bells and whistles are essential to how well we play, our safety, and our comfort... and that if you're wearing the old stuff and not buying the new stuff, you're at a disadvantage. I mean, it's what Apple does every year to get you to buy a new iPhone (but unlike Apple, goalie pad manufacturers won't make my pads slower or break down quicker just because they put out a new model this year ;)). We're always going to be told, whether directly or subliminally, that we're behind if we're not getting The New Thing. Consider me skeptical, in this case.

4 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

The type of pads I wear have never made me feel unsafe, slow, uncomfortable, or like I'm at a disadvantage to the guy across the ice. And I certainly don't feel the style of pads I wear tend to make a big difference in whether I get scored on or not: I mean, this might make me a rarity amongst our community, but I'd estimate that almost every goal I let in is either the result of my own poor positioning/technique/athleticism, a team breakdown, or sometimes just bad luck. That's really all I have to say re: my choice in pads, but while we're on the subject...

Definitely a rarity. I only get scored on from 3-0's.

But in reality, everyone should buy the pads that suits their needs. Whether or not they're considered ancient or not.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Definitely a rarity. I only get scored on from 3-0's.

But in reality, everyone should buy the pads that suits their needs. Whether or not they're considered ancient or not.

Honestly, I probably do way better on 3-0s than on wrap-arounds or low angle shots :ugh:

Crazy, athletic desperation saves seem to come way easier to me than things like solid positioning/keeping your posts covered.

11 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

You're assuming I play a modern goaltending style, which I really don't. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

The type of pads I wear have never made me feel unsafe, slow, uncomfortable, or like I'm at a disadvantage to the guy across the ice. And I certainly don't feel the style of pads I wear tend to make a big difference in whether I get scored on or not: I mean, this might make me a rarity amongst our community, but I'd estimate that almost every goal I let in is either the result of my own poor positioning/technique/athleticism, a team breakdown, or sometimes just bad luck.

That's really all I have to say re: my personal preference, but while we're on the subject... 

I'd imagine if you put every NHL goalie in some pads like mine on a Saturday night where every team is playing, there would only be a couple of extra goals scored league-wide than there would have been if everyone was wearing their current gear. I truly don't believe it would make a huge difference. And I do understand that for them, this margin of error could be the difference in getting a new contract, staying in the league, making the playoffs, etc. They have every reason to seek every advantage, no question. Do the advantages make a huge difference? We can't know, but I really don't think so. I think it's more about the mental edge. And personally, I get the same mental edge from my old pillow pads.

Modern pads are great for some, and I'm sure they do have some legitimate advantages. But don't forget, they're marketed to us, and we're told that all these bells and whistles are essential to how well we play, our safety, and our comfort... and that if you're wearing the old stuff and not buying the new stuff, you're at a disadvantage. I mean, it's what Apple does every year to get you to buy a new iPhone (but unlike Apple, goalie pad manufacturers won't make my pads slower or break down quicker just because they put out a new model this year ;)). We're always going to be told, whether directly or subliminally, that we're behind if we're not getting The New Thing. Consider me skeptical, in this case.

I'm not assuming anything.

Archived