Introduce Yourself

Ghostender

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

They're still a pretty new styled pad. Depending on the age of guys around here, old styled pad means many things.

Yeah, I forgot to consider that. For example: I consider the Reebok Premier II Pro leg pads pretty old. Most of you would consider things like Cooper pads ancient. I do feel that throughout generations our perception of "old" has been warped. Most people at my school consider phones that are as low as 2 years old, "old".

Woooo! I started page 5!

Edited by ThatCarGuy

I suppose its time for me to chime in here now. I'm a previous GSBB lurker that happened upon this site, and I'm glad I did.

I'm nearly 35 now, been playing almost 20 years, starting in high school (though some inline stuff prior to that). I'm small (5'8" now, wasn't even 5' tall until I got into high school), and I don't think my mom even wanted me to play hockey. I should state that I was a figure skater first, for years, that's how I learned to skate actually, and I'm sure it helped later on. Being at the rink a lot then, and seeing the players practicing out there, I was intrigued. I started watching some hockey on TV, and oddly the first game I ever watched, was Roy's last game in Montreal (I didn't know the significance at the time though). Chris Osgood was in net at the other end, and really, he's the reason I wanted to be a goalie.

Fast-forward to high school, and having no experience, it helped that my team was terrible. I started on the Varsity team first year, so...yeah, that should help give an idea of the terribleness. I was only able to play because the school provided the equipment. This worked otu well for me because they were 31" Brian's intermediate pads, this worked out less well for the other guy that wanted to be goalie who was probably 5'10" or so. I played for three years (10th - 12th) and never won a game. Came close one time, but lost in overtime. I think back on it and that was probably the best way for me to get into the game and the position. If I could go out there every game and lose, and still want to play, than I wasn't in it to win it, I was in it to love it, and I do.

After high school I begged my dad to help me buy my first set of pads. I bought them on the internet when that was still a somewhat risky endeavor. I didn't know what I was doing really, but I think I got a great deal on a full set of Bauer Reactor 5s. No clue what my other gear was as far as C/A, pants, etc. I know I was still in a cheap I-Tech mask as the time though. Got into men's leagues after high school, and I played well. After a season, I was picked up by some of the better teams in the different leagues at the assortment of rinks in the city, won some championships, but it was fairly serious, and that was fine by me. I met a lot of good guys, and a lot of not so good guys. The teams I was on then ended up folding due to lack of participation and no one wanting to run them. That was about the time I needed to relocate for other, non-hockey related reasons.

About 10 years ago I relocated to the Chicagoland area, I started subbing through local rinks, and was able to get onto some teams. Played well again, won some championships, and lost some too. I played through my prime, had some life stuff happen, and was eventually replaced on a couple teams in consecutive seasons. I thought I was done then, thought about hanging it up, but I didn't. Some guys I'd known after I first moved out here were looking for a goalie at another rink, and thought I give it a try. It was against lower competition, but that didn't matter, these guys are just out here to have fun. We compete each game, and we may win, or we may lose. I'd rather lose 5-4, than win 12-1. I'm having a bit of a resurgence in my game, and have the means to "re-gear," if you will.

I won't pretend to know a ton about goalie equipment, certainly not to the extent of some of the guys on here, but I hope to contribute where possible. This is a great game, and a great position to play, unlike anything else out there. I'm just happy to be able to play this game, and hope to for years to come.

Edited by goalie381
Adding additional content
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Been playing hockey for ~25 years. Played a little goalie here and there when I was in peewee/bantam. Fast forward to last year and I have picked up an interest in playing goal. Anyways I have been collecting equipment since then. Waiting for deals and the like. Ended up with CCM pads/catch/blocker, simmons pants, bauer chest and skates. Olie helmet along with an Eddy that I will be asking questions about.

I enjoy messing around with pretty much everything so here are some mods. If interest is shown I can post pics elsewhere:

-Relaced the catch glove into a floating T with skate lace because I had to redo my son's glove so why not do mine too and experiment a little.

-Made a removable velcro/nylon professor strap.

17 minutes ago, jacksork said:

Been playing hockey for ~25 years. Played a little goalie here and there when I was in peewee/bantam. Fast forward to last year and I have picked up an interest in playing goal. Anyways I have been collecting equipment since then. Waiting for deals and the like. Ended up with CCM pads/catch/blocker, simmons pants, bauer chest and skates. Olie helmet along with an Eddy that I will be asking questions about.

I enjoy messing around with pretty much everything so here are some mods. If interest is shown I can post pics elsewhere:

-Relaced the catch glove into a floating T with skate lace because I had to redo my son's glove so why not do mine too and experiment a little.

-Made a removable velcro/nylon professor strap.

Welcome bud.

We're always interested in hearing and seeing members own mods to their gear. Pictures and guides are always super welcome.

https://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/forum/5-mods/

• Like 1

Forgot to introduce myself.

I started playing when I was 8, skated out the first 3 years then switched to goal. Played travel/AAA until my junior year of High School when I started playing Juniors. Unfortunately for me I was on a team where the other goalies dad owned the rink and junior team. My senior year scouts from USHL and OHL started looking at me and the other goalies dad did not like that. Long story short, I get called into the office on an off day and told to clean out my locker out of the blue. Refused to trade me or release my contract. Unfortunately this was in Nov so even they High School teams had been picked. Left such a bitter taste in my mouth I couldn't even watch hockey for the next decade. I just started playing again after taking 14 years off. Did a lot of camps growing up Rick Heinz, Great Lakes Goaltending, Jim Park, Future Pro, and a Junior/Pro camp at GDI in 05 (Zach Parise was a shooter that year), also taught at Rick Heinz and Great Lake Goaltending.

Just trying to get back into the swing of things now. Thinking of going to an FHL tryout I was invited to, but not sure if the hour plus drive is worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

I'm Olivier from Marseille, FRANCE, 36 years old.

i play hockey since 1996 when i discover THE MIGHTY DUCKS movie.

i'm a fan of Montreal Canadiens, i really enjoyed the time where Cristobal Huet was here. One of my favorite goalie all-time with Curtis Joseph.

i was very active on CH official bulletin board and others. A big hockey collectionner, i create and handle a hockey card bulletin board called THE HOCKEY COLLECTOR ZONE / THCZ. I made some goalie videos on Youtube that you can still watch.

I always wanted to be a goalie, so i play roller hockey as goalie with childhood friends.

After that when i was 23 i play roller hockey with AUBAGNE JOKER team (a town next to Marseille) then ice hockey with LES HIBOUX D'AUBAGNE.

i had several knee injuries so i sold my stock (DON SIMMONS pro UL), keep just the mask and i let it go....

10 years after i went to a hockey game at Marseille, we have a hockey team in D1: LES SPARTIATES de MARSEILLE with my son.

He felt in love with hockey, so now he plays hockey for Les Spartiates and i join him in another team in Marseille. 

i buy again a complete set (just bought a BAUER 2S supreme stick today) and i enjoy my time on ice with cool buddies in beer league.

Edited by La_passoire_canadienne
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Welcome to this informative yet chaotic website!

Thank you, sir!

This current world is very strange!!! I am most likely old enough to be your dad. I like your stuff and hope you can play a Lot. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Introduce Yourself
  • 7 months later...

Hello!

I'm from Orleans Ontario, originally from Montreal (Go Habs Go).  

My age places me back when Roy was at his prime and made me want to play nets as a kid. My family at the time could barely put me in Hockey let alone get me goalie equipment so I played backup with borrowed gear and Defence growing up.

Now that I've gotten back into playing, and my oldest has gotten into playing goalie, I've gotten the itch to play nets again so here I am learning the position. 

@Lucky Pucker has helped me quite a bit with information and suggestions, and turns out we are living parallel lives.

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, johncho said:

Hello!

My age places me back when Roy was at his prime and made me want to play nets as a kid. My family at the time could barely put me in Hockey let alone get me goalie equipment so I played backup with borrowed gear and Defence growing up.

Now that I've gotten back into playing, and my oldest has gotten into playing goalie, I've gotten the itch to play nets again so here I am learning the position. 

@Lucky Pucker has helped me quite a bit with information and suggestions, and turns out we are living parallel lives.

I guess I didn’t help you enough, as you’re still playing goal! And worse - your kid is too now! 😋

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johncho said:

Hello!

Welcome home ;) 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

I guess I didn’t help you enough, as you’re still playing goal! And worse - your kid is too now! 😋

Neither of my boys play goalie. I get asked often at the rinks why. We don't need to explain, do we?

4 hours ago, MTH said:

Neither of my boys play goalie. I get asked often at the rinks why. We don't need to explain, do we?

I explain it by saying: “yeah he tried it in Novice, but he’s smarter than his old man...”

I get a lot more knowing looks and “that’s trues” than laughs though.