The Mask Thread

10 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Just got this in and I’m absurdly excited about it:

Sportmask Pro Series 2 (Cam Ward)

After lots of measuring and consultation with The Goalie Crease store, I’ve got what is as close to a custom fit as I can get without going the full custom route. 

I am so happy with the fit and finish and looking forward to trying it out on the ice. Bought this with the intention of getting a nice paint job but I am really digging the matte white look so may stick with that for a while. Do want to swap out the black elastic for white/cream, but will do that shortly. 

Nice! I always liked the "long chin" look of the Pro 2 Ward model, but for me the window is too small. Did TGC mention a ballpark range for the full custom? Always been curious...

In other Sportmask news, I saw on their Facebook group that they will likely soon be certifying the Mage RS, which would be great for those who want better visibility but need certification.

16 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Just got this in and I’m absurdly excited about it:

Sportmask Pro Series 2 (Cam Ward)

After lots of measuring and consultation with The Goalie Crease store, I’ve got what is as close to a custom fit as I can get without going the full custom route. 

I am so happy with the fit and finish and looking forward to trying it out on the ice. Bought this with the intention of getting a nice paint job but I am really digging the matte white look so may stick with that for a while. Do want to swap out the black elastic for white/cream, but will do that shortly. 

Is that Matte white? Looks great!

Edit: maybe I should read where you said it's matte white. Looks great though!!

Edited by 1C5
Duh

22 hours ago, TitanG said:

Nice! I always liked the "long chin" look of the Pro 2 Ward model, but for me the window is too small. Did TGC mention a ballpark range for the full custom? Always been curious...

In other Sportmask news, I saw on their Facebook group that they will likely soon be certifying the Mage RS, which would be great for those who want better visibility but need certification.

Didn’t get a quote from them but I thought Sportmask customs were around $1000 USD. 

10 hours ago, 1C5 said:

Is that Matte white? Looks great!

Edit: maybe I should read where you said it's matte white. Looks great though!!

Haha yessir. The lighting in my picture makes it look shiny but it is a really nice matte white. Personally I think it looks really cool contrasted against the chrome cage. 

Thoughts on this:

Was looking at Sportmask site and their masks list carbon fibre composite shell construction. And these look to be great masks (Ward Quick etc use them)

Then on Protechsport site Michel writes: "Protechsport does not use carbon fibre as it does not adapt well to impacts."

On 10/18/2017 at 5:08 PM, 1C5 said:

Thoughts on this:

Was looking at Sportmask site and their masks list carbon fibre composite shell construction. And these look to be great masks (Ward Quick etc use them)

Then on Protechsport site Michel writes: "Protechsport does not use carbon fibre as it does not adapt well to impacts."

Being half french and canadian i can help out here... I beleive this loosely translates to "Go fuck yourself mask builders that use carbon fibre, you anglo pig dogs!"  

My french canadian is a bit rusty though....

• Haha 2

On 10/18/2017 at 5:08 PM, 1C5 said:

Thoughts on this:

My understanding is that carbon fibre is not as good for impacts because it is very stiff, so it doesn't give upon impact as much as fiberglass. This means that more energy is transferred to your head, so you feel the impact more.

The reason mask makers use carbon fibre is because of its high strength to weight ratio; it creates lighter masks.

11 hours ago, TitanG said:

My understanding is that carbon fibre is not as good for impacts because it is very stiff, so it doesn't give upon impact as much as fiberglass. This means that more energy is transferred to your head, so you feel the impact more.

The reason mask makers use carbon fibre is because of its high strength to weight ratio; it creates lighter masks.

Not an engineer or physicist here, but my understanding was that you wanted the stiffest material possible and that the shape of the mask was meant to deflect impacts away, not absorb any of the energy. 

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Not an engineer or physicist here, but my understanding was that you wanted the stiffest material possible and that the shape of the mask was meant to deflect impacts away, not absorb any of the energy. 

It’s  also interesting if you think about it...

Vaughn and Bauer use Carbon fiber inside their pads & blockers to create hotter rebounds 

Miller gets 2X carbon for extra saucy rebounds 

Carbon fiber is very rigid and shatters when impacted, more so than fiberglass or kevlar. You don't want a mask or helmet to be too stiff because that will transfer the energy of an impact directly to the liner/padding. TitanG is right about the strength to weight ratio, as carbon fiber is a way to get a lighter mask while still having protection (when used with kevlar/fiberglass). And it just looks cool. :)

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 10:18 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

Carbon fibre would be best used in the inner-most layer on a masque. The outer most layer would be the worst place! 

Weirdly enough, when building bike frames, kevlar only went where there was direct impacts, like chain stays. 

I understand where Michel comes from as far as not using carbon fibre on a masque. 

• Like 1

Here's a link to an audio interview of Gary Warwick by Ingoal Magazine back in 2009.

http://ingoalmag.com/interviews/goalie-mask-maker-gary-warwick-of-warwick-masks-interview/

It's interesting to note that Gary mentions that his NHL guys were feeling impacts more so he put more foam in the masks, whereas Protechsport masks have always had very thin and little foam. I believe Warwicks are at least partly carbon fibre, so this would lend credence to the fact that more energy transfers to the head upon collision if the impact zone is stiffer.

This is why cars have crumple zones, to dissipate the energy from an impact instead of letting most of the energy transfer to the occupants. Also part of the reason I'm slightly skeptical about the big tri-bar cat eye cage by Pro's Choice; making the centre bar super rigid and thick does extend its useful life but I got to think that more energy transfers to the head and rest of the mask upon impact to the tri-bar. Don't get me wrong, I love Pro's Choice and Warwick, but I'm just pointing out some trade-offs between weight savings/durability/impact feel.

IMO, The mask is the piece of goalie gear that leaves itself most open to designs from hardcore engineers. There's going to be different schools of thoughts, trade offs between different designs / layups, and opinions. 

I agree with @TitanG sentiment, that's it's fun debate and you have plenty of choice for whatever you're most comfortable or believe in... but I don't think anyone on the board would think anyone is a fool for buying a Warwick, Protechsport, or Pro's Choice 

• Like 1

Not to beat this horse any further, but Sportmask says it uses a “carbon fiber composite” shell, so curious how their particular flavor compares to others. Not clear where and how much carbon is in the mask. 

I go back to my earlier thought - the stiffness is just one element of the design, the contours/shape of the mask and how it reflects pucks away play a huge part as well and I imagine it’s important to find the best combination of both. 

As @TheGoalNet said I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these pro level masks, the approach to protection is just slightly different among them. 

Edited by Punisher Goalie

On 10/20/2017 at 6:52 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

Not to beat this horse any further, but Sportmask says it uses a “carbon fiber composite” shell, so curious how their particular flavor compares to others. Not clear where and how much carbon is in the mask. 

I go back to my earlier thought - the stiffness is just one element of the design, the contours/shape of the mask and how it reflects pucks away play a huge part as well and I imagine it’s important to find the best combination of both. 

As @TheGoalNet said I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these pro level masks, the approach to protection is just slightly different among them. 

The biggest thing is to prevent too much deformation of the material on impact and disperse the shock. There are several ways to do it. 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I do think masks could rapidly change as much as sticks do. Will be really cool to see if the weight and/or materials change a lot 

I'm honestly surprised by how little they've actually changed in the last couple decades. I wonder if something like Graphene or some other advanced material could ever make it into masks. The current standard shape seems to be tried and true, but who knows what might happen there as well. 

12 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm honestly surprised by how little they've actually changed in the last couple decades. I wonder if something like Graphene or some other advanced material could ever make it into masks. The current standard shape seems to be tried and true, but who knows what might happen there as well. 

we will all look like this if that Onezee guy gets his way....

jack.jpg.6c7c017d44433332d4b7537202a17f1b.jpg

• Haha 1