The Mask Thread

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

LOL their sweaters feel hour-long game wet in a humid rink BEFORE you sweat in them!!!!

Everything they sell is garbage. The only things I've heard good things about (besides how "cheap" they are of course) is the visors, and I guess that's because they're inexpensive so you don't care if you scratch it. 

On 11/13/2017 at 12:16 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Everything they sell is garbage. The only things I've heard good things about (besides how "cheap" they are of course) is the visors, and I guess that's because they're inexpensive so you don't care if you scratch it. 

Will not disagree there; though I did take a pretty bad high stick to their visor once and it did not crack!

Dremask "Sparta", full Kevlar. I pulled out of storage. Thinking of slapping a Maltese kit into this bad boy and going to start using it. 

Olympia composites or an OTNY made HM30 on there. I forgot which is on it. 

Also any tips on how to center the cage?

IMG_20171113_122500.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Where is Dremask from? That is a new one to me

He used to be quite active on GSBB a few years ago. He hasn't really made any masks for a number of years now. He was based out of northern BC when he was cranking out masks. This was a one-off I asked of him a few years ago which was essentially a spare unfinished shell he had, I asked him to chop off the chin to make a combo. 

I believe he's quite busy these days and not really cranking out any masks unless you ask him nicely. 

http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/equipment/equipment-forum/99834-official-dremask-thread

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154772601215694/

http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/equipment/equipment-forum/3158796-my-new-dremask-has-arrived

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Believe it or not, those masks are HECC approved...

Scott Wedgewood had a little trouble with his Bauer NME mask tonight... I understand that many guys wear them for the fit, and unfortunately some guys wear them because they are inexpensive compared to other masks. DO NOT cheap out when protecting your head/face. If you are set on a Bauer mask, please go for a Profile (I wore a Bauer 950 (2013ish model) and honestly never had an issue). Along with Ben Bishop's NME mask that cut him, the mask DID NOT do its job and injured the goaltender. The Bauer NME masks are simply not made out of the right materials for stopping pucks. 

This chip on Schneider's chin is most definitely a structural crack/chip, and simple paint chip does not look like that.

rip nme.jpg

Edited by AG37

I was at the Jets/ Yotes game tonight and saw that play. It was just a snap shot coming down the wing, not a Laine slapshot or anything too hard. I thought a strap came lose or something as he skated to the bench soon after for what looked like a mask repair. I had no idea it injured him like that. 

Anyone have a video of the play? 

Agreed it's a weird coincidence with Bishop, but before we say don't anyone use an NME... are we 100% sure the mask shell is the reason for the issue?

Matt Murray's helmet flew off 10 times a game during the playoffs. I've yet to see a post from anyone saying "I'm not buying a Pro's Choice because they fit is terrible and they pop off"

I haven't seen people here steering people away from Tyson blades because McElhenney had a pop out during preseaon... 

Im all for "black balling" a particular product in the name of safety and protecting our wallets, but we need to be certain. 

Monster Hockey is my biggest red flag in the goalie industry right now and I still haven't gone out my way to launch a campaign against them. Why?because even though there's some suspect issues there, the products are not a complete waste of money. In most cases, people like them. I'd rather educate people on "here's a few potential pitfalls of ordering through Monster" than saying "let's collectively not support them"'

If there is an NME issue, let's get the facts. But the NME is not the old widow maker... 

Maybe these are two freak occurrences in a sort window, maybe guys taking out the stock NME causes issues, maybe the NME VTX that Schnieder and Wedgewood are in prototypes and there's a few kinks, etc etc 

also, from memory, Bishop's helmet is loose and he's a had multiple facial injuries. I doubt it's the NME and I doubt he'd stick with it if he did. He's worn 5 different shells in the NHL is not afraid to change... 

@AG37 I respect your opinion and don't buy an NME if it's not for you, but our website needs to be steeped in facts. 

Who in this website has personally had a bad experience with an Pro version of the NME line? 

Whilst not a fan of the mystery meat composite construction in the Asian-made masques, we have to remember that a masque can only go SO FAR to prevent injury. Fit can definitely play a far bigger role in injury prevention. I learnt the hard way that I can’t play the puck like I used to in a masque (compared to a combo) because my masque may fly off when I put a shoulder into a player on a break away where the player has his head down and will run me anyway. 

The pros who were injured were pros. They face the shots we have nightmares about in sometimes minute-by-minute phases. And they will be in situations we rarely see, especially after the age of 40. They get paid the big bucks to play in situations where they can get hurt. 

Is a composite NME any less safe than a comparable Asian made masque? No. The artisan made masques may last longer and you may not feel impacts as much with the thicker shell construction of the artisan made masques. As long as it is not lexan or that horrible “fibre-enhanced ABS” that was out a few years back, you’re fine. But fit is key, and a poorly fitting masque of ANY make can hurt you. 

It isn't the shell that is the issue, it is the fit of the mask on the goalies head. Both of those goalies wear the mask ridiculously close to their face and might not be wearing a chin up. Which pulls your mouth away from the cage and mask.

No matter what mask you had, if your mouth is right up against a non-moving or softening agent the impact is going to translate directly to your mouth. It is called physics. 

• Like 2

Let’s also try to avoid coming to conclusions based on anecdotal evidence. 

“I saw a guy get injured wearing mask x do it must be crap” is just as poor of a statement, logically, as saying “I wear mask y and never had a problem.”

I often post this in response to either phrase being used:

1D16388C-31C4-417D-A099-5CA0D3DEDCB2.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m still wondering why Bauer doesn’t get their players in wider 960’s like Schneider was in when he was in Vancouver. Personally, I’m still sceptical about the NMEs but I know they work well for some people, so I don’t totally discount them.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

We weren't (or at least I wasn't) disagreeing with you or referencing your comment, rather the NME are awful and these 2 cases prove it.

I was agreeing with both of you. I'm not really sure what's happening here. For the record, I don't think the NME are bad masks in any way ( non-plastic ones/pro). I don't think the shell shape of the chin had anything to do with their injuries as they were both hit in the chin from a frontal shot. Most masks are shaped almost identically at the very center, above and below the cage. A hard shot in those places will be felt no matter what. If their masks (NME, 961, CCM, whatever) fit properly and were worn properly I doubt they would have been injured in the way they were.

As a side note, I really dislike painting NME masks and 961-style masks in general. All those sharp ridges make masking graphics a pain in the butt. Freehanding, they're fine but any stencil work is a drag. That's a big reason why I love my Sportmask Razor: soft lines everywhere!

• Like 1