The Mask Thread

On 11/15/2017 at 12:28 PM, parebele said:

Totally agree!!! Sorry, I didn't read back far enough. You and I seem to think alike and generally agree anyway.

No problem there. And yes- we seem to be kindred spirits!

I have issues with the Asian composite shell, but those injuries look to be fit-related, not due to a shell defect.  I don’t feel unsafe in my CCM 9000 fibreglass shell, but it is definitely louder than in my Protechsport. It probably would protect well against shots to the head as it fits me like a glove. 

On 11/13/2017 at 2:29 PM, Kayen said:

Also any tips on how to center the cage?

IMG_20171113_122500.jpg

Centering the cage can be done by filling the gaps between the "U" and the cage clips with vinyl tubing. Like this....

048643025523_ca.jpg

Should be able to find this at your local hardware/auto parts supplier. I believe the diameter of the bars on your cage are 3/16". Find something that diameter or similar. cut two pieces to fill the voids, cut slits in them and wrap them around the cage to act as spacers. (This need some TGN-style green highlighting circles... but its late and I'm lazy)

I did these ones outside of the clips... but you get the idea. ?ui=2&ik=d13e75316e&view=fimg&th=15fc2d0dafa91221&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=b96323fe165f0e5c_0.1.1&attbid=ANGjdJ-6_AF7zqO9Zan8svyurUOy-G12D6lPVy-DDShCbRCK9RERvRxqYk80xsVzAjNmFzpKF0qSd_0BZ8pOC7iHounlvwc-c2GoG4Djsrj36sDWJbPCkY7qN7YNqH8&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1510802003955&rm=15fc2d0dafa91221&zw&atsh=1

This is commonly used these days but painters to protect the paint.... but works really well to keep the cage centered as well. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Proud of us. This is why the companies are respecting what we are building here... 

Working on getting the new detials on NME VTX. Might be something interesting there and maybe that’s why Schneider ditched the wide 961 

Yeah but he switched into an NME in the 2014-2015 season, his second as a Devil, so it's either something in general with the NME he prefers (and not just the VTX) or maybe the reps just convinced him to use it instead. Really, only people like us here will know the difference, but I to am keen to see what the VTX holds, even if it's not the mask for me.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

While we’re on NME and fit. 

Does the width change between fit 1, 2, and 3 or just the depth? 

Also, anyone with an XPM and scale mind sharing the weight? 

I remember I wore a Fit 3 Itech NV7 because it was the widest. The Bauer website looks like it confirms that's still the case, although the fits are still essentially S, M, L. Not really dialed in too much beyond that. 

20171116_230625.png

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2017 at 4:56 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone have a video of the play? 

Agreed it's a weird coincidence with Bishop, but before we say don't anyone use an NME... are we 100% sure the mask shell is the reason for the issue?

Matt Murray's helmet flew off 10 times a game during the playoffs. I've yet to see a post from anyone saying "I'm not buying a Pro's Choice because they fit is terrible and they pop off"

I haven't seen people here steering people away from Tyson blades because McElhenney had a pop out during preseaon... 

Im all for "black balling" a particular product in the name of safety and protecting our wallets, but we need to be certain. 

Monster Hockey is my biggest red flag in the goalie industry right now and I still haven't gone out my way to launch a campaign against them. Why?because even though there's some suspect issues there, the products are not a complete waste of money. In most cases, people like them. I'd rather educate people on "here's a few potential pitfalls of ordering through Monster" than saying "let's collectively not support them"'

If there is an NME issue, let's get the facts. But the NME is not the old widow maker... 

Maybe these are two freak occurrences in a sort window, maybe guys taking out the stock NME causes issues, maybe the NME VTX that Schnieder and Wedgewood are in prototypes and there's a few kinks, etc etc 

also, from memory, Bishop's helmet is loose and he's a had multiple facial injuries. I doubt it's the NME and I doubt he'd stick with it if he did. He's worn 5 different shells in the NHL is not afraid to change... 

@AG37 I respect your opinion and don't buy an NME if it's not for you, but our website needs to be steeped in facts. 

Who in this website has personally had a bad experience with an Pro version of the NME line? 

Not to come off like a PC fanboy but this is actually something that I went out of my way to contact Dom asking specifically about Murray when he burst onto the scene a few seasons ago.  Murray's mask is custom molded to his head, the fit is perfect.  The problem lies in how loosely he straps it.  Dom said he warned Murray time and time again that he is not wearing his mask tight enough.  That's the way Murray likes it.  That isn't on the mask, that is on the user.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 2:29 PM, Kayen said:

Dremask "Sparta", full Kevlar. I pulled out of storage. Thinking of slapping a Maltese kit into this bad boy and going to start using it. 

Olympia composites or an OTNY made HM30 on there. I forgot which is on it. 

Also any tips on how to center the cage?

IMG_20171113_122500.jpg

After 3 skates, lack of chin protection has me concerned. Have an SM50 sitting around so here it is... 

Now I'd love to eventually get my hands on an SM90 

IMG_20171121_221711.jpg

From memory, Warrior donated that Little Cesar’s Arena or the new practice facility (if that is a thing?) because of a marketing agreement they have with the Wings. 

Pretty sure that is a Wall Mask. 

I don’t believe there is any correlation between this and any product ambitions that don’t or do exist. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s a tape job I did myself on my 960 XPM for a special outdoor game my team played recently:

54CBA818-0175-4E81-880B-09CB82E37A24.thumb.jpeg.c7bf7d32b869ec80188b2e817672c9cc.jpeg

And now the tape is off and this mask is off for some custom paint (totally different design)! Although many will probably think it’s derivative, I’m pretty excited about my design idea. Going to be a long four weeks...

6901FB84-6E94-44AB-9CF0-7ED57121EC25.thumb.jpeg.c10e70c62b20ec88a3eeee10828c2f8a.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Thanks! Just alternating 1/4” vinyl pin striping tape. It’s awesome for masks - stays put once applied but easy to remove cleanly. 

See that would have been perfect for the stripes on mine. I ended up using some way overpriced Martha Stewart craft masking tape. Would have preferred pinstriping tape or whatever.