The Mask Thread

On 12/17/2017 at 6:58 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@Punisher Goalie - who’s doing your art? 

http://www.wickedgoalie.com/

Found Tony searching online for reasonably-priced mask painters. He was one of the few that actually responded to my emails (he did so very quickly too), I like all of the work he has posted online and his price is exceedingly reasonable. Will definitely post when it comes back!

I wore the NME VTX today. I took a legit 1T from a USPHL kid to the side of the head. It felt like the mask absorbed the shot in a way I have never felt before. I was beyond impressed and it was like the helmet swallowed the blow.

I think there is something to the engineered padding for goalie masks. Unfortunately, I don't know if I will stick with this mask long term because the fit is not perfect, but I think there is something to the engineered foam. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I wore the NME VTX today. I took a legit 1T from a USPHL kid to the side of the head. It felt like the mask absorbed the shot in a way I have never felt before. I was beyond impressed and it was like the helmet swallowed the blow.

I think there is something to the engineered padding for goalie masks. Unfortunately, I don't know if I will stick with this mask long term because the fit is not perfect, but I think there is something to the engineered foam. 

You sure the helmet absorbed the blow? :P

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2017 at 9:45 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do people usually clear coat over the vinyl or just leave it exposed and hope for the best?

If done correctly, the graphics are printed on a cast vinyl and then laminated (would be like a clear coat as it's main purpose is to protect the graphics as well as allow for customization... ex- gloss, matt, carbon fiber, chrome, etc.) with a cast laminate. Make sure you ask about the type of vinyl and laminate they are using if deciding to have your mask wrapped. Cast is the best for protection and will last the longest.   If you really wanted to go even further with it for protection you could ceramic coat it. But probably not worth the expense.

7 hours ago, coastguy111 said:

If done correctly, the graphics are printed on a cast vinyl and then laminated (would be like a clear coat as it's main purpose is to protect the graphics as well as allow for customization... ex- gloss, matt, carbon fiber, chrome, etc.) with a cast laminate. Make sure you ask about the type of vinyl and laminate they are using if deciding to have your mask wrapped. Cast is the best for protection and will last the longest.   If you really wanted to go even further with it for protection you could ceramic coat it. But probably not worth the expense.

Thanks for the input.  I contemplated the idea of having a mask wrapped with a Johnathan Quick design instead of paint in order to save some cash.  Is it even possible to print graphics with that much detail on a mask wrap?