The Mask Thread

• 2 weeks later...

The Onty guys are great to deal with... and make a nice mask... you’ll pay far more for the Onty than for the ProTech.

The trade off will be wait time... 14-16 weeks vs 4 weeks for the Onty 

Ron at Coveted makes a nice 960 clone as does Masked Marvel

Edited by cwarnar

Not sue if this belongs on The Mask Thread or Hygiene... but here's what 4 years of sweat looks like for me... 

out with the old...                                                                                                    in with the new.

image.thumb.png.ffe0c7372d6b6ddb7da03f4d5d7bffb8.png             image.thumb.png.93cbfe5c69df230d08fee2fc71a1fa7e.png 

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

A harness upgrade is one of those silly things we should within every 24 months. Makes such a difference in function and improves the mask hygiene. 

Thanks for not asking if I somehow manage to pee on it as well... Peeing in your gear... how is that a thread???

37 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Terrible photo, but can anyone ID this Eddy mask? I can pick it up locally for $40, just wondering if it's worth a refurb or not. Thanks for any help!

00v0v_3kgGyhV4ktu_1200x900.jpg

It's an older model, from the late 90's, or VERY early 2000's.  Eddy stopped using the Eddy sticker by the cage window around then.
If the padding goes to and is around the ear vents it will be a GT.  If there is no padding around the ear vents it will be a Pro or Custom Kevlar.

Solid masks, as long as it is not one of the plastic "goaltec" model.  I would pick it up if it were me, but then again, I am partial to them!  Heck, the cage is worth that!

• Like 1

Anyone have any issues with CCM pro masks from '14? I picked one up on clearance last year and had no issues playing lower level C games last year. This year I've had a few from my JV team I coach that have vibrated a bit and given me minor headaches. I had a headache that lasted a weekend in January so I ordered an OTNY mask with maltese from Dennis at Goalie Parts. Unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet and I took a hard clapper off the forehead at stick time today and am on concussion protocol. Going to go with my Bauer from college until the otny comes in

On 2/16/2018 at 6:36 PM, Cruskater said:

Anyone have any issues with CCM pro masks from '14? I picked one up on clearance last year and had no issues playing lower level C games last year. This year I've had a few from my JV team I coach that have vibrated a bit and given me minor headaches. I had a headache that lasted a weekend in January so I ordered an OTNY mask with maltese from Dennis at Goalie Parts. Unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet and I took a hard clapper off the forehead at stick time today and am on concussion protocol. Going to go with my Bauer from college until the otny comes in

@Cruskater - I have the original Pro. I sent to Protechsport for custom padding and it has an NHL stock Ti cage. So it’s not exactly stock 

I’ve taken some solid shots to the head. Never had ringing, pain, etc 

I believe the OTNY will be heavier in weight and also a “heavier duty” shell than the CCM. I believe the CCM will use some more specialized lighter materials and the OTNY will be a more traditional and thicker construction 

The NHL Lefevre helmet and the CCM retail are similar, but they have slight different layups and a different point of assembly. 

I believe @Big2 illulded to this before, but the NHL stock CCM mask is the nicest mask I’ve ever seen 

Michel from Protechsport said he saw the NHL Lefevbre mask up close and was impressed with it. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the NHL goalies wearing CCM masks are wearing the same ones sitting on the shelves in stores. I can't believe 100% of all that to be true.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Thanks for not asking if I somehow manage to pee on it as well... Peeing in your gear... how is that a thread???

If you can pee on your mask's harness straps, you might need to see a doctor. Or look into a career in the adult film industry.

6 hours ago, 1C5 said:

A couple pics of my two ProTechSports. The Belfour tribute is now a decade old and going great. Just got the 961 clone this year. Love them both. 

Paint coming eventually on the 961 once I get bored of the white. 

9F5180E4-6576-4C4F-8B95-963FD0378658.jpeg

9FA0FC74-F80B-451F-B039-4F95E697E299.jpeg

FF68E0F9-F3B0-4B7B-9BCB-DDF2BA453972.jpeg

Love the Belfour tribute, and the 961 clone looks good. On a related note, I've never seen another goalie wear 47; great choice.

• Like 1

The CCM pro mask (NHL Pro ) is not an off the shelf unit it is made I believe by Bombardier in Montreal and the thing is light as a feather..

i would consider getting one for my son (you need to know people to get one) but 1) not sure I can get a a CSA approved cage 2) it cost about $1500 without a paint job?

i think a 961 clone from Michel is more likely to be his next mask, will depend on his grades at school!

• Haha 1