The Mask Thread

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This.  Fuck getting a shitty off the shelf mask just because it is certified.  You're only problem would be the wait time for the Protechsport.  Your beer leagues are really that anal about that stuff?  

Other option would be to just buy a newer $10 helmet of Kijiji and transfer the CSA sticker over....  Black Ops for the win!

6 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

Other option would be to just buy a newer $10 helmet of Kijiji and transfer the CSA sticker over....  Black Ops for the win!

Plus if the league is really sticky on this issue, get some Bauer stickers for the Protechsport 960 clone and nobody will be the wiser. Even without them most wouldn't bat an eyelash.

As I've mentioned before, the last CHL goalie to use a Protechsport was forced to switch to a Bauer 960, but went back to a Protechsport (Lefebvre design, not the 960 clone) with Bauer logos and wore it for the rest of the season, seemingly without a problem. In the end, really only die hard goalie gear guys will even know the difference between a Protechsport, a Bauer 960 and a Warwick (three 'completely' different mask designs).

Edited by TitanG
Added info

So Darren Millard (Rogers Sportsnet) is getting a Sportmask Pro Custom. I always liked seeing these process photos (from Tony Priolo on the Sportmask Facebook page) and as most goalies would want to have the same process done for myself.

20799051_10154845362757517_2944929286040044987_n.jpg.f10412b60f9f835e4b78ce2a18456e5c.jpg

20799527_10154845362382517_8135771236389894390_n.jpg.ef3ffa39ea245b9123a95f4ef46fadef.jpg

20953734_10154859755422517_1345656147233337880_n.jpg.a00b70b0fcfd63710e70a67a67105d89.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 9:55 AM, cedric35 said:

Hey guys,

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and hard place as it were.

My faithful Hackva developed a crack near one of the screws late in the winter season (straight through the shell) so I have to get a new one.

Looking for something with similar protection, but I'm not feeling all that confident with the choices in my price range ($500).

Unfortunately, a Protechsport is not option because I play in Ottawa, ON and everything has to be CSA.

I've been also searching for used pro models but not having any luck.

I play once a week beer league with players varying degrees of skill.

Looking at a Sportmask X8 or a CCM 1.9.

Can anyone offer any opinions on these two or something else I might have not considered.

Thanks

Cedric

OTNY, Coveted, and the ones Don Simmons carries are priced vert well for the amount of positive feedback I've read on them.

13 minutes ago, coastguy111 said:

OTNY, Coveted, and the ones Don Simmons carries are priced vert well for the amount of positive feedback I've read on them.

If you need CSA approved though only the OTNY Masks sold by Don Simmons are certified and not the Fusion masks as far as I know, and Coveted does not currently have a certified mask (they do manufacture masks for OTNY and Masked Marvel as far as I know).

On 8/12/2017 at 6:02 AM, bunnyman666 said:

That would almost convince me to get a paint job! Being a HUGE Looney Tunes fan, especially Bugs (he's been my guide in how to deal with bullies). 

But I'd never wear it 'cos I did not want to risk chipping the paint!

Great execution! Bravo!!!!

For those that are concerned about having their expensive custom helmet paint job chipped, you can actually have it wrapped in a clear film just as they do with all expensive luxury/exotic vehicles. Its called PPF(paint protection film), with Suntek being one of the bigger recognizable names.

They also are popular with window tinters because they can get the film with different intensity of shades, have solar properties popular both for auto and installed in home Windows.

Some contain a ceramic feature that can actually stop or deflect anything from someone trying to break in by smashing your window, up to a degree of being ballistic proof.  

At minimum, adding a laminate, just like what you would put onto a printed vinyl wrap not only will protect a paint job or vinyl wrap, if you do take a slapper to the head and it leaves a minor blemish, all you have to do is hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and let the self-healing properties of the laminate do it's job.

Some have questioned adding a laminate to a vinyl printed wrap. It's worth it,  if for nothing else to just give you that extra piece of mind.  Not to mention all the new creative options you have nowadays that can take your helmet graphics to a level that can be hard to come by and make it really unique. You don't even have to have custom graphics on your helmet to make it unique and one of a kind (luster laminates, carbon fiber, brushed steel, colored chrome, etc. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TitanG said:

If you need CSA approved though only the OTNY Masks sold by Don Simmons are certified and not the Fusion masks as far as I know, and Coveted does not currently have a certified mask (they do manufacture masks for OTNY and Masked Marvel as far as I know).

Masked marvel.. thank you. That's what I meant but for some reason said Coveted.

On 8/25/2017 at 2:35 PM, TitanG said:

Well like I said some of the Masked Marvels are made by Coveted so you're not totally wrong I guess?

Ron Stefaniuk is the genius behind Coveted... Also ghosts for both Otny and Masked Marvel.

And they are just in the CSA/HECC certification process 

18835744_1354224637993105_452594119080643241_n.jpg

On 8/25/2017 at 4:03 PM, cwarnar said:

Ron Stefaniuk is the genius behind Coveted... Also ghosts for both Otny and Masked Marvel.

And they are just in the CSA/HECC certification process 

Yep, and as an Eddy Mask owner I love that they use those cages so that replacements are plentiful and in production!

On August 18, 2017 at 5:26 PM, TitanG said:

Plus if the league is really sticky on this issue, get some Bauer stickers for the Protechsport 960 clone and nobody will be the wiser. Even without them most wouldn't bat an eyelash.

As I've mentioned before, the last CHL goalie to use a Protechsport was forced to switch to a Bauer 960, but went back to a Protechsport (Lefebvre design, not the 960 clone) with Bauer logos and wore it for the rest of the season, seemingly without a problem. In the end, really only die hard goalie gear guys will even know the difference between a Protechsport, a Bauer 960 and a Warwick (three 'completely' different mask designs).

Doobie - Titan is right that is what I did for my sons Protecsport, don't be fooled by what crap that is being marketed by CCM/Bauer! Not sure about many other options out there but I can tell you one thing, you can't play around with your head! 

2 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

I think it was Cedric that had the issue. I still have my CSa sticker on the old lid as you can see above ;)   My league only requires the helmet to be csa not the cage. 

Technically changing the padding to anything other than the manufacturer's padding voids the certification, even if it arguably makes it safer (i.e. Maltese).

So my point is putting a certified sticker on a non-certified mask is really no different from my view.

Basically, the various leagues (if they didn't have to worry about liability) should have certification as the baseline and suggest getting a custom mask from at least one of the NHL custom mask makers. After all, no league is tougher on goalies heads than the NHL (at least in terms of shot power, beer leaguers probably get more headshots from inaccurate shooters).

Edited by TitanG
Added info

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

Technically changing the padding to anything other than the manufacturer's padding voids the certification, even if it arguably makes it safer (i.e. Maltese).

I think the fact that it's a 20 year old van velden that's been hydro dipped might affect the warranty as well lol. 

• Like 1