Jump to content

How does Halak keep his gear looking like new


Recommended Posts

I have been wanting to ask this question for ever - Does anyone know how Halak keeps his gear in mint looking condition, even more impressive he wears pretty much all white (you can throw Price into the mix ) ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

1. These guys get new gear regularly.

 

Not True. I believe he is down to 2 sets a season? He might use the least amount of gear of anyone.

 

I am guessing the EQM is tasked with regular cleaning of his gear? Bauer's CORtech material cleans up better than Jenpro, weave, etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheGoalNet said:

Not True. I believe he is down to 2 sets a season? He might use the least amount of gear of anyone.

 

I am guessing the EQM is tasked with regular cleaning of his gear? Bauer's CORtech material cleans up better than Jenpro, weave, etc

Yea you're right, but, he also only uses a set for practice. https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-jaroslav-halak-adds-new-wrinkle-to-practice-only-equipment/c-311594054

That will sure impact how marked up his game set is.

Halak is in Brians though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea you're right, but, he also only uses a set for practice. https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-jaroslav-halak-adds-new-wrinkle-to-practice-only-equipment/c-311594054

That will sure impact how marked up his game set is.

Halak is in Brians though?

OMFG, I misread that. I thought it said Hank.

Apologies @coopaloop1234 you are correct. By contrast to Hank, who barely gets new gear, Halak I think gets about as much new gear as anyone... 5-6 sets a season?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Ever since you posted that shirtless pic of him yesterday it seems like he's everywhere you look, eh?  🥰

If you're seeing shirtless Hank everywhere you look, then you must be looking at a photo of shirtless Hank. That's okay. Be you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of how much gear Halak gets per season, he does have different gear typically for games and practice (his practice stuff is embroidered with "Practice" on it). Additionally, he has his stuff scrubbed by the equipment managers. I'm not sure how they clean it, I typically scrub my pads with magic erasers to decent effect. Whatever they're doing is working great with how crisp the white is in photos of him.

The real tell on how new/used his equipment happens to be is in the nash of his glove palm. He uses white nash in the palm, and puck marks do not like coming off of nash.

Edited by keeperton
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dualshowman said:

If you're seeing shirtless Hank everywhere you look, then you must be looking at a photo of shirtless Hank. That's okay. Be you!

No, all the pics of Hank that I have he's wearing a Rangers sweater...not that there's anything wrong with that... I only stumbled across the shirtless pic when looking at his endorsement deals TGN posted in another thread... but that's OK, I can relate..."I was young and needed the money"... well, now people pay me to put my shirt back on... not that there's anything wrong with that... like you said, I'm just being me... if you want to stuff $10 in my nut cup, I'll take that $10...

...speaking of which....what kind of endorsement deal does this guy have?...he needs to get better sponsors...(actually, i think he might be gay...not that there's anything wrong with that)

 

 

20bucks.JPG

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 5:54 PM, keeperton said:

Regardless of how much gear Halak gets per season, he does have different gear typically for games and practice (his practice stuff is embroidered with "Practice" on it). Additionally, he has his stuff scrubbed by the equipment managers. I'm not sure how they clean it, I typically scrub my pads with magic erasers to decent effect. Whatever they're doing is working great with how crisp the white is in photos of him.

The real tell on how new/used his equipment happens to be is in the nash of his glove palm. He uses white nash in the palm, and puck marks do not like coming off of nash.

Since Irbe retired, I wonder if there is a pro goalie out there who still likes to tends, mends and cater's to his own gear?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RichMan said:

Since Irbe retired, I wonder if there is a pro goalie out there who still likes to tends, mends and cater's to his own gear?

I doubt we'll ever see anything to that level again, but I'd love to be enough of an insider to know this. The amount of players I know that don't really care is pretty interesting to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, keeperton said:

I doubt we'll ever see anything to that level again, but I'd love to be enough of an insider to know this. The amount of players I know that don't really care is pretty interesting to me.

That's always surprised me as well. Listening to the InGoal podcast really showcases how few NHL goalies are gear nuts. Most of them just fell into the position.

The gear is the best part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Pro tip: If you can avoid having the puck touch your equipment, you can keep your gear looking in tip top shape.

This exactly. If you don't like puck marks, don't stop them!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's always surprised me as well. Listening to the InGoal podcast really showcases how few NHL goalies are gear nuts. Most of them just fell into the position.

The gear is the best part.

For me it’s not the gear so much as the tinkering. I came about this honestly as in my younger days I could never afford new gear and had to make what I had last. It has carried on as a habit (which I enjoy) in my later life.

I am not surprised a number of the pros aren’t gear nuts – they get it all for free, so there’s no real need to have a PhD in gear design. They get lots of new stuff thrown at them, try it, and if it works great, if not there’s no economic consequence - someone just gets a deal on pro-return stuff. If Vaughn or CCM or whomever discontinued the glove with the special break they liked when they were 10 years old, the manufacturers will always make a custom version for them to get their name on TV . As someone said in one of the other posts, I’m sure there’s lots of parent who equip their kids with gear because Price or Lundqvist or Fleury wear it (which is just a big ≠).

One observation: if the majority of goalies are not gear nuts, then a lot of conjecture made on this site as to why they chose a certain brand or style, may be misinterpretations…

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 10:10 AM, TheGoalNet said:

OMFG, I misread that. I thought it said Hank.

Apologies @coopaloop1234 you are correct. By contrast to Hank, who barely gets new gear, Halak I think gets about as much new gear as anyone... 5-6 sets a season?

So watching the game Boston/Lighting tonight and the local analyst commented on Halak's equipment while he was getting some maintenance done on his skates.  

1) they commented on the fact that his equipment looked like new all the time, and the goalie specialist said that he changed equipment often, don't know what that means vs some of the numbers highlighted above ?

2) he also changes his glove often during a game (nearly every period) as is gets very wet ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Big2 said:

So watching the game Boston/Lighting tonight and the local analyst commented on Halak's equipment while he was getting some maintenance done on his skates.  

1) they commented on the fact that his equipment looked like new all the time, and the goalie specialist said that he changed equipment often, don't know what that means vs some of the numbers highlighted above ?

2) he also changes his glove often during a game (nearly every period) as is gets very wet ??

On instagram one of the Brian's reps confirmed that his changing the gloves during the period (not just in between at the intermission) is because he feels like he sweats a lot more because they're playing in August as opposed to May.

For me, playing in the summer (especially in Texas) feels a lot warmer than playing in the winter. When it is consistently 85-90+ outside, even at night, I am definitely more drenched than normal - and I felt like I was almost overheating on my Monday night skate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the post about him swapping gloves. Thought it was weird that he would want dry cold gloves. Personally my gloves feel better once they are a little wet/ sweaty and are more pliable. Then again I’m sure his gloves don’t feel as stiff and crusty as us average folk.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    1,390
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    DJKoolChris
    Newest Member
    DJKoolChris
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...