Defunct Gear Brands

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think Vaughn owns the name in the USA. Not sure about what else. It's a shame Vaughn has not tried to compete more with their player brands. Could be very interesting.

Eagle gloves and protective, Tackla pants, Graf skates and sticks... Not a bad line up at all

The unfortunate thing with Vaughn’s stewardship of the Eagle brand is that it has been treated like a red-headed stepchild as of the last few years. Vaughn is no longer paying Eagle’s licensing fee for the gloves, pants or shells. Unless you have connections, Eagle is the only North American player  glove maker available to anyone, and the ONLY true custom maker of player gloves. (CCM makes pro gloves in the old Eagle factory, but are otherwise unavailable to regular people). 

Want REAL leather gloves? Eagle has you covered, mind only available in black or tan. Want a throwback glove with Gretzky-style cuffs? Eagle has you covered. Want Tortorella-style shot blockers on the back of your hands? Eagle will do that for you. The unfortunate part is that 85% of what Eagle has on the open and ready to buy market for player gloves is Asian-made and does not make it well-known that you can get a pair of CP94 in black goat skin with a four inch tall ‘70s cuff for slash protection, and they should make it known! It seems like they want to go to an Asian made only sales model, which in itself isn’t terrible, but doesn’t bode well for the older player who wants a 4” tall cuff. 

It’s even worse for their pants and shells. They use that FANTASTIC REAL Tackla tech on their domestic breezers,  but don’t go out of their way to advertise that you could get a great pair of pants or a custom shell! 

Back to Eagle: they make THE BEST old school player shoulder pad that is domestically built! And the material used is washable! Yet now that is only a custom order. No Eagle dealers in my locale...

The last time I looked, they were really trying to push the Graf brand to replace the Eagle brand for custom gloves, but have not made a great effort for marketing and do not seem to be keen on paying the NHL marketing fee! (?!?) The dealership network for Graf skates is pretty appalling... I’d love a pair of Graf player skates like a 705. 

They have a portfolio of great brands and tech properties, and yet don’t do much with them. It’s more than a bit of a head-scratcher...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admittedly, I don't know if this is a "defunct' brand, so this might be more of a "can you provide background" post.

I think it started with looking up Richard Sévigny pics, but I came across Steve Penney who was also a Habs goalie around the same time. I then saw this pic of Penney in the Heritage Classic alumni game from 2003 in Edmonton. Penney mostly used a Louisville stick while active, but this ARROW-branded stick was a new one for me. Quick search didn't turn up too much.

Anybody know this brand?

image.png.358755dc94d02974a53d45e2cd1a96ea.png

8 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Admittedly, I don't know if this is a "defunct' brand, so this might be more of a "can you provide background" post.

I think it started with looking up Richard Sévigny pics, but I came across Steve Penney who was also a Habs goalie around the same time. I then saw this pic of Penney in the Heritage Classic alumni game from 2003 in Edmonton. Penney mostly used a Louisville stick while active, but this ARROW-branded stick was a new one for me. Quick search didn't turn up too much.

Anybody know this brand?

image.png.358755dc94d02974a53d45e2cd1a96ea.png

That may be Harrow, which they are not quite defunct, but I have never seen a goal stick from them. 

I spy two piece Micron skates and an Easton Z-bubble shaft. Those two are DEFINITELY defunct brands. I spy an old Koho stick. 

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

That may be Harrow, which they are not quite defunct, but I have never seen a goal stick from them. 

I spy two piece Micron skates and an Easton Z-bubble shaft. Those two are DEFINITELY defunct brands. I spy an old Koho stick. 

If you zoom up on the stick shaft, it looks like Flarrow...?

A quick google yielded this:

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Huh! I found another pic from the game, and it does appear to be "FLARROW"...? Still not a brand I know though

image.png.b00369bac64154f42edcd02d94627cb0.png

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Just realized that those pictures were from 2003. Wondering how dudes were still using Easton Synergy sticks...

You could now have a alumni game from that alumni game.

I found a stash of original Easton aluminium shafts when I started playing again seven years ago. They are mine, ALL mine! Great in the corners and on the forecheck!

10 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I found a stash of original Easton aluminium shafts when I started playing again seven years ago. They are mine, ALL mine! Great in the corners and on the forecheck!

Virtually indestructible, at least where the shaft is concerned. You'd never see a slashing penalty called because an opposing player had stick-on-stick contact, and it exploded in their hands like you see today all the time.

...and the aluminum shafts great when applied horizontally in a short, sharp thrust to the small of some pesky skater's back...

11 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Virtually indestructible, at least where the shaft is concerned. You'd never see a slashing penalty called because an opposing player had stick-on-stick contact, and it exploded in their hands like you see today all the time.

...and the aluminum shafts great when applied horizontally in a short, sharp thrust to the small of some pesky skater's back...

Why do you think I said “great in the corners”? LOL

My previous life in hockey was a 3rd or 4th line winger. Yes, loved the dirty areas and had no ambitions to score, despite my diminutive size. “Why don’t you try to be more of a scorer?” was something asked to me all of the time!  If we went on the power play due to my use of good ol’ Easton aluminium, then I was a very happy rabbit!!!

10 hours ago, MTH said:

Just realized that those pictures were from 2003. Wondering how dudes were still using Easton Synergy sticks...

You could now have a alumni game from that alumni game.

I play with people that still use Synergy and Z-Bubble sticks.

Archived