CCM Eflex 5

coopaloop1234

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I really wouldn't worry about looking "dusty" when choosing gear that works best for you.

Especially since players can't tell the difference between their asshole and a hole in the ground.

Its not even that. I just don’t know if I would like them or not. I feel like thats a lot different than internal doubles and just a single outer

5 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

It being too soft? I mean, I’m also crazy flexible and could use stiff pads if I wanted to.

For sure, I know.  Stiff pads work best for goalies just like you. 

I find it odd that goalies like you, or Mr. 32 in silver/black, prefer soft flexible pads.  Ultimately it's about feel and comfort so I 'm not saying you should or shouldn't wear this or that, but on paper or just abstractly, it's odd.  Being made of rubberbands means you are capable of making your gear do whatever you want and if we are talking about pads meeting in the center and closing, goalies like you don't need the pads themselves to do the work.  Not the case with less flexible...most....goalies.

Edited by seagoal
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Its not even that. I just don’t know if I would like them or not. I feel like thats a lot different than internal doubles and just a single outer

There is a far larger difference in feel of pads between individual brands than the difference between breaks that you're worried about. 

I definitely don't want to stifle you for you to explore other gear options (it's half the fun), but I do think you're making a mountain out of a molehill in regards to the double break issue.

My double break V4's are still one of my favourite pads I've used and I never felt like they held me back.

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Thanks 2

@seagoal I have no skin in the game with any manufacturer across any pieces of equipment so it makes no difference to me what people buy. Just seemed like the search here was very similar to my own so I was trying to be helpful (so as to avoid the gear odyssey I went on... unless you know you're into that of course). I know there are plenty around here who deride Simmons (not saying that you are). Definitely something to be said for being able to get your hands on something before you buy... but I've also gone that route and then ordered something and had it feel nothing like what was on the shelf.

Regardless - happy gear hunting.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chile57 said:

@seagoal I have no skin in the game with any manufacturer across any pieces of equipment so it makes no difference to me what people buy. Just seemed like the search here was very similar to my own so I was trying to be helpful (so as to avoid the gear odyssey I went on... unless you know you're into that of course). I know there are plenty around here who deride Simmons (not saying that you are). Definitely something to be said for being able to get your hands on something before you buy... but I've also gone that route and then ordered something and had it feel nothing like what was on the shelf.

Regardless - happy gear hunting.

I got you, it's all good.

I am certainly not deriding Simmons as I have no reason to.  I've never seen their gear, touched their gear, and have barely heard of their gear other than on this site. I acknowledge it is possible it's the best on the planet, but they are off my radar and the likelihood of me purchasing their gear is zero.

That said, my point is just about both the value of seeing and touching a company's gear, and, seeing a company's gear in action on TV when making the decision to purchase gear.  For me personally, if I listed all the gear companies I am aware of in the world and then draw a line at where my potential to purchase is, it is firmly drawn at what is on TV and what is not.  And then, of course, I can rank the potentials in terms of my experience, preferences, familiarity, etc. which not coincidentally is emphasized by what I have been able to touch and feel in stores.  The one exception to this is Warrior, as their gear (not sticks--I am a Warrior stick fan) is not on TV but is in stores.

So yeah, it's a funny joke, to me anyway, to say I would/you should never buy gear not seen on TV because it sounds petty and ridiculous, but upon examination there is more truth and reality to that joke than meets the eye.  I think it's good to be transparent about our susceptibility to marketing and exposure as consumers.

(checks what thread we are in....)

CCM Eflex 5 - Pads - THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]

Edited by seagoal
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 7:41 PM, Chenner29 said:

Just texted @ZeroGravitas after he picked up his EF5 with 600 break. 

Said the glove that came in the custom order closes better than the pizza box of plastic they have sitting on their retail floor, hopefully yours is too.

We got our EF5 stuff in about a week after we were going back and forth and I've been having SERIOUS buyer's remorse ever since.  We got in 2 Pro level gloves.  Both were stiff and didnt' seem to close any better than previous generation 600's.  Then these arrived and everything changed:

20210524_171940.thumb.jpg.9ec4b502626a9c0992d630914818cb35.jpg

I don't know if my glove went down a different line than the retail stuff, if it's the single-T, or what, but there is a night and day difference between what we've got on the floor and what I got from CCM!  I'm not going to say it's the best closing glove I've ever seen right out of the bag (Genetik IV's and recent Bauer gloves are usually the winners there) but it's far and away the best CCM glove I've ever felt.  It's almost as good as my 9 month old Axis 600. 

Other first impressions:

The blocker is a CCM blocker.  Very little evolution from EF4-Axis-EF5.   I did goof and order the curved finger protection instead of the straight on this glove, but it laces in and out so if I really hate it I'll just ditch it.

The pads also seem more flexible than the retail offerings.  I don't mind stiff pads, but it's nice that I'll be able to compare/contrast with the Axis line very quickly. The QMSS system on these duplicates that of the EF4 as opposed to what's on the Axis.  It'll be interesting to see if I can feel a difference in pads that fit me better than my EF4's which, at 35" were a little large.  The leg channel appears shallower than EF4 and the boot definitely is.  It's not as shallow as Axis, but more modern than EF4 was. 

Unfortunately it'll be over a week before I get these on the ice as I'm heading out of town for Memorial Day, but I'll follow up with more info as I get a chance.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

We got our EF5 stuff in about a week after we were going back and forth and I've been having SERIOUS buyer's remorse ever since.  We got in 2 Pro level gloves.  Both were stiff and didnt' seem to close any better than previous generation 600's. 

My work here is done then

Gave you some gray hairs and anxiety

Should have bought True ;)

Just kidding, glad they came out well!

• 3 weeks later...

I’m seeing super mixed reviews and videos on the new 600 out of the box closure. I’m considering buying one since I know a place to get EF5 600s pretty cheap but need to know what I’m getting in to. I catch well with the 600 and the 580 the 580 is just a bit ugly and broken looking though.  I’ve also heard puck playing with a 600 isn’t exactly easy. Any thoughts on closure and puck handling abilities?

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’m seeing super mixed reviews and videos on the new 600 out of the box closure. I’m considering buying one since I know a place to get EF5 600s pretty cheap but need to know what I’m getting in to. I catch well with the 600 and the 580 the 580 is just a bit ugly and broken looking though.  I’ve also heard puck playing with a 600 isn’t exactly easy. Any thoughts on closure and puck handling abilities?

My 3 week old EF5 600 already closes better than my nearly year old Axis.

I haven't tried at 580 in years so I can't really compare puckhandling directly between the two breaks. What I can say is that shooting the puck is  a strong part of my game and I don't have any issues with the 600 break. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

My 3 week old EF5 600 already closes better than my nearly year old Axis.

I haven't tried at 580 in years so I can't really compare puckhandling directly between the two breaks. What I can say is that shooting the puck is  a strong part of my game and I don't have any issues with the 600 break. 

Glad to hear it. I’ll go through with purchasing the glove once it’s available then

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Very small sample size, but my custom EF5 600-break was easier and more pleasant to close than the ones on the rack at my shop. No idea why.

But it does feel different from my EF4. I preferred the EF4 feel to the EF5 feel. And my Ultrasonic above them all 🤣

EDIT: Plus the EF5 had a Pro palm versus the game-ready of the retail versions.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Very small sample size, but my custom EF5 600-break was easier and more pleasant to close than the ones on the rack at my shop. No idea why.

But it does feel different from my EF4. I preferred the EF4 feel to the EF5 feel. And my Ultrasonic above them all 🤣

EDIT: Plus the EF5 had a Pro palm versus the game-ready of the retail versions.

I'm kind of limited to CCM at the moment as far as sets go sadly. Maybe next year. Haven't worn a ccm style pad since my XLT's and never worn an eflex pad before

Edited by ThatCarGuy

2 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

So I’m stuck with my stock eflex4 sticks for a while, I was gonna custom order eflex5 sticks for college but they aren’t doing stick orders right now... said they will in the fall... makes no sense since right now would be the perfect time to? kinda frustrating but it’s whatever. 

From what I remember the last few years they were always late in doing custom sticks. Not sure why.  I also wanted a few but then good thing I didn't because they don't break on me so easily so every season I'll buy a new stick. How is the eflex5 stick? I was impressed by the 4. 

57 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

From what I remember the last few years they were always late in doing custom sticks. Not sure why.  I also wanted a few but then good thing I didn't because they don't break on me so easily so every season I'll buy a new stick. How is the eflex5 stick? I was impressed by the 4. 

yeah not sure why they're so late to the game. and I've seen how they've done Hutchinson's paddle so I figured they'd be able to do a custom paddle with mine as well, as I've pretty much always shaved my paddles since I started playing. I have no problem shaving it before I head to college but I'll practically have no time to once I go.

also I have no idea, so far I can't even find a full right stock stick that isn't pre-order, but I love my eflex4 sticks.. although my first sticks' blade practically crumbled in half after a few months of use.

7 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

yeah not sure why they're so late to the game. and I've seen how they've done Hutchinson's paddle so I figured they'd be able to do a custom paddle with mine as well, as I've pretty much always shaved my paddles since I started playing. I have no problem shaving it before I head to college but I'll practically have no time to once I go.

Probably COVID/supply chain related.  I did a 3 pack of EF4's a couple years ago and placed the order in April.  The margins on retail product are better than on custom, so I'm not surprised that they're dedicating every resource (both people and materials) to the retail route until they've got that channel completely fulfilled.

7 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Probably COVID/supply chain related.  I did a 3 pack of EF4's a couple years ago and placed the order in April.  The margins on retail product are better than on custom, so I'm not surprised that they're dedicating every resource (both people and materials) to the retail route until they've got that channel completely fulfilled.

Yeah if I had known that I would’ve placed the order as soon as possible after signing with my college team but I wanted to focus on ordering pads and mask first. It’s not too big of a deal sticks not matching for the time being but it would’ve been nice.