Calling all Graf Users: Graf/CCM Hybrid Help

BadAngle41

Been using cowlingless for a few years now. Progression went from Graf 750s w/ Cobra Cowling to the Same Graf 750s with Bauer Vertexx Cowling... then Bauer S190... and now Bauer 2X Pro. The 2X Pro are great... but with hips & knees that are shot i can't help but wonder how much more strain I'm putting on them with all the new fangled height. Consequently I'm looking to build a hybrid similar to what @SaveByRichter35 did below. Why not just get a new custom set of AS3 or something? Well 1) That's not as fun as building a franken-skate 2) The 2X actually work fine... so this is just me experimenting and wanting to keep it less expensive.

@SaveByRichter35's ceations...

C39C7845-E2A6-479C-9015-8EDFC3E1683C.jpeg

As I scoured the web for a pair of 7500 or DM1080 in my size I haven't found much... but I have found some 9035s.

B39B68B7-5D68-40C5-B3B4-09DE501F8DAE.jpeg.7cee55ce69bfc6504d230a5f5aeb8727.jpeg

1. First off, can anyone provide me with a little background on the 9035? Or even first hand experience with them? I don't have gnarly feet or anything... just a size 7 with medium width.
  2. Secondly, can anyone think of a reason why the 9035 couldn't accommodate the XSG holder like the 7500 does?

Actually looking to do something similar! I don't have huge funds but wanted to build the all purpose skate. Currently I have Bauer Vapor X2.7 with True Holders (V1) so I could swap between goalie and player steel in the same skate. I just found a deal on some 9035s and pulled the trigger. 10D/R in both skates, but the Vapor seems to have more room in the to box, where I may be brushing the toe box in the grafs. The grafs feel amazing every else but there for me at the moment. I have only tried them on a few times for a couple minutes and would like to have them on my feet for a bit longer with my sidas insoles before I put the work into the holder swap. I've also noticed that the Grafs seem to have a slightly higher/more supported ankle, but still great forward flexion for your stance. Graf always put outsoles on their goalie skates just like a player skate, so I don't see why you couldn't put a holder on them. If I move ahead with the project I'll upload some pictures. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bmats30 said:

Actually looking to do something similar! I don't have huge funds but wanted to build the all purpose skate. Currently I have Bauer Vapor X2.7 with True Holders (V1) so I could swap between goalie and player steel in the same skate. I just found a deal on some 9035s and pulled the trigger. 10D/R in both skates, but the Vapor seems to have more room in the to box, where I may be brushing the toe box in the grafs. The grafs feel amazing every else but there for me at the moment. I have only tried them on a few times for a couple minutes and would like to have them on my feet for a bit longer with my sidas insoles before I put the work into the holder swap. I've also noticed that the Grafs seem to have a slightly higher/more supported ankle, but still great forward flexion for your stance. Graf always put outsoles on their goalie skates just like a player skate, so I don't see why you couldn't put a holder on them. If I move ahead with the project I'll upload some pictures. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback on the 9035. Vapor does have a decent amount of room in the toe box... but I don't recall ever having an issue w/ Garfs. Fingers crossed on that one. Also great to hear about the flexion. I think that piece at the back is throwing me off some given most skates dip down there some. 

Pretty cool that you threw the True holder to swap between goalie and player as well... never thought about that aspect before.

9 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@BadAngle41 If you have no problems with the Bauer boot then why not replace the Bauer holder with the CCM holder?

1. You can’t slap a horn on a horse and call it a unicorn. 

2. Because then I wouldn’t have 2 pairs of skates for no reason.

3. The combination you have intrigued me as a whole... not just the holder. 

3 hours ago, 2padstack said:

I have the same skates and have been thinking about doing this swap too. I like the skates, but they are heavy. Can weigh them with the installed cowlings and then with the XSG to see if there is a big difference?

Absolutely. And while yes I expect them to be heavier than my 2X Pro... I do plan on using 3mm steel as I’ve gotten accustomed to it. Not to mention... looking to see if the shorter height helps reduce the stress on my hips. Will obviously be subjective and placebo effect may be in play as well... but definitely going to get this project moving forward. 

I wish I had looked more into these 9035 skates back when I bought those 7500s.  I love the interior liner of the 9035 boot.  Looks super comfortable.  I feel like the mesh hide liner in the 7500s doesn't seem like it is going to last very long.  I honestly do not know, as I have sadly yet to wear these on the ice.  I am tempted to bring them back to my skate guy and have him remove the XSG holders and throw on my Labeda Predator chassis for an inline tournament I am doing this weekend.

12 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I wish I had looked more into these 9035 skates back when I bought those 7500s.  I love the interior liner of the 9035 boot.  Looks super comfortable.  I feel like the mesh hide liner in the 7500s doesn't seem like it is going to last very long.  I honestly do not know, as I have sadly yet to wear these on the ice.  I am tempted to bring them back to my skate guy and have him remove the XSG holders and throw on my Labeda Predator chassis for an inline tournament I am doing this weekend.

Oh the irony... while yes I'm anxious to get the 9035s on the ice... I settled on them as I couldn't easily find 7500s or 1080s in my size at a reasonable price (considering this is a side project.) The heel lock does look great... and picking up the XSG holders today along with some Speedblade XSG1 Black Steel. (If I like this boot/holder combo I'd probably pick up a pair of Tydan steels as well.) 9035s are in the mail now... hopefully have them by the end of the week.

I'll be getting them on the scales not only for @2padstack but for general knowledge. With Cowling, without (boot only,) and again once the new holders are on. I certainly am not concerned about the weight... more about the feel... comfort... flex etc.

@SaveByRichter35 can you post a couple pics of the riveting done to fasten the holder onto your 7500 boots? I trust whoever does mine will do a good job... just curious as I see on the AS3 they're using a single copper rivet at the back on each side... and it looks like yours have copper at all 6 rear attachment points. 

Let's also keep in mind I have no idea the advantage/disadvantage to using solid copper vs. crack rivets. So for anyone who does know... feel free to tell me.

image.thumb.png.e76a8e2b3f1fc55058740c215a33b6db.png

On 9/22/2020 at 12:31 PM, BadAngle41 said:

@SaveByRichter35 can you post a couple pics of the riveting done to fasten the holder onto your 7500 boots? I trust whoever does mine will do a good job... just curious as I see on the AS3 they're using a single copper rivet at the back on each side... and it looks like yours have copper at all 6 rear attachment points. 

Let's also keep in mind I have no idea the advantage/disadvantage to using solid copper vs. crack rivets. So for anyone who does know... feel free to tell me.

image.thumb.png.e76a8e2b3f1fc55058740c215a33b6db.png

Shit man I wish you would’ve texted me this question.  I actually don’t have my skates on hand currently.  My skate guy has them. I went and did something...possibly stupid...but something nonetheless lol.  I guess we’ll see how it works out.  But yes he did all copper in the heel. 

A71BD06D-086D-4837-BCCB-E8B44E224BF8.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ahhhhhh, I've never heard of those lol.  I see the joke now. 

Yeah, I thought they might be outmoded by now - they were fairly popular (and probably pretty useless and possibly even damaging to skating skills) when I was a kid, but then so were radios that had tubes in them.

Weights thus far for those who are interested like @2padstack...

Current 2X Pro Setup with Tydan steels and Bauer Speedplates: 828g

B5AE275D-AE95-44B7-9B52-DFC0F100C000.thumb.jpeg.350222796b0a8e24a6c09d095067d198.jpeg

Stock 9035: 1089g

349F44A2-BDB0-4566-93A3-271CE2DD38DB.thumb.jpeg.6f06e632c90cec603022d0ec919f83cd.jpeg

Graf Cowling (& fasteners): 464g

939589D8-7F38-47B4-93BB-A8AA1751F2C1.thumb.jpeg.368c593de82984ace2486c8909711fce.jpeg

9035 boot alone: 616g

CF94168B-FB79-4CCD-8EEA-16A4A83554C6.thumb.jpeg.6103ed9cb213789a2c8e7d71028e5d43.jpeg

CCM XSG holder: 128g

CBBA2886-2663-4D33-83E7-1F98E73A9284.thumb.jpeg.4ffb055a8d5b39d1dd64b88f52ba2468.jpeg

With XSG1 Black Steels on the way (courtesy of @mr_shifty1982) 9035 XSG combo not looking like it will be much more weight than 2X Pro. Having worn Graf most of my life, the weight difference when transitioning to cowlingless was amazing. But now that I’ve been wearing Bauer there is something in terms of fit and flex that I’d like to get back to some. Hopefully these do the trick.

9035 Boot XSG Holder and Tydan Black steel for Vertexx Edge: 887g

B7DF7C3C-0136-4676-A09D-302EF3D0BC45.thumb.jpeg.3199ed282ef088b8ac9544350c19a59d.jpeg

• Like 2