Calling all Graf Users: Graf/CCM Hybrid Help

BadAngle41

Well I went to my local Perani's to try on some Bauer and CCM skates just to get a feel for the holders, and I think I actually liked the extra forward pitch the Vertexx holders provide.  I found it easier to get low and forward and didn't feel unbalanced at all moving laterally.  I also like that the Bauer steel is a little shorter.  Anyone gone that route?

Not sure what model the CCM boot was, but it felt like hot garbage, the Bauer was the current mid-tier offering, the Elite model.  Both made me very much appreciate the 9035s.  

On 11/6/2020 at 12:41 PM, Bmats30 said:

Just wanted to add, I went ahead with the swap. I got to try them out last night, needless to say but way more stiffness than my Bauer x2.7 skates. Very responsive, but will take some time to get used to. Not sure if it is in my head but the skates felt even better once they were mounted to the new holders and out of the cowlings. Overall pretty happy with the result! 

21055A6B-6CBD-476A-818E-8931B80D048C.jpeg

@Bmats30 how do you like the True holder, is it much different than the Bauer as far as height/feel? Considering putting them on G7500 boots.

I've been e-mailing back and forth with Pure Hockey and I guess they don't have an ETA for when the Shift Attack goalie holders will be available separately.  I have no measurements, but from what Bones and Cam at the hockey shop have said in their reviews of the TF9s, the Shift holders seem sort of a middle ground between the Bauer and CCM holders, which sounds good to me.  Bones specifically talks about how the Shift holder doesn't have as much of a forward pitch as the old 2-piece design and is an easier transition from his one piece skates.  Until they're available, I'll probably continue to rock the cowlings.  

15 minutes ago, AdamL said:

I've been e-mailing back and forth with Pure Hockey and I guess they don't have an ETA for when the Shift Attack goalie holders will be available separately.  I have no measurements, but from what Bones and Cam at the hockey shop have said in their reviews of the TF9s, the Shift holders seem sort of a middle ground between the Bauer and CCM holders, which sounds good to me.  Bones specifically talks about how the Shift holder doesn't have as much of a forward pitch as the old 2-piece design and is an easier transition from his one piece skates.  Until they're available, I'll probably continue to rock the cowlings.  

That old VH/Step holder was super aggressive. I hated the super short blades, as well. It was literally a player holder, so it doesn’t surprise me in the least. Has anyone noticed how very few forwards used that holder? 

16 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

That old VH/Step holder was super aggressive. I hated the super short blades, as well. It was literally a player holder, so it doesn’t surprise me in the least. Has anyone noticed how very few forwards used that holder? 

The short blades and smaller radius on the factory Graf steel are exactly what I like most about them.  I had some CCMs prior to going back to these and always felt like I was stuck in mud. I can basically skate like a forward in these skates and in fact have.  I played out a couple games in college (we sucked and needed a body) wearing my goalie skates.  

5 minutes ago, AdamL said:

The short blades and smaller radius on the factory Graf steel are exactly what I like most about them.  I had some CCMs prior to going back to these and always felt like I was stuck in mud. I can basically skate like a forward in these skates and in fact have.  I played out a couple games in college (we sucked and needed a body) wearing my goalie skates.  

Yeah- I was talking about the VH/Step holder. Graf actually has the tallest stock steel as far as cowlings go.

58 minutes ago, AdamL said:

I have no measurements, but from what Bones and Cam at the hockey shop have said in their reviews of the TF9s, the Shift holders seem sort of a middle ground between the Bauer and CCM holders, which sounds good to me.  Bones specifically talks about how the Shift holder doesn't have as much of a forward pitch as the old 2-piece design and is an easier transition from his one piece skates.  Until they're available, I'll probably continue to rock the cowlings.  

FWIW, True claims that the holder height and pitch are "in-line with the industry standard (Vertex)." Haven't used either the Vertexx or the Shift Attack so I can't say if that's true or not.

True.thumb.png.4176ee67dec77bbe521761fd5a302159.png

31 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

FWIW, True claims that the holder height and pitch are "in-line with the industry standard (Vertex)." Haven't used either the Vertexx or the Shift Attack so I can't say if that's true or not.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.  Maybe I'll just give the Vertexx holders and whirl and see how it goes.

1 minute ago, AdamL said:

Do you mean the new 5500 holders are taller than the Vertexx holders?

Sorry- I keep confusing people!

Graf cowls have the tallest steel. 🤦‍♂️ No idea about their holders. I don’t like the way Graf mounts holders, but they mount cowls fine. 

I will go quietly sit in the corner now.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:47 PM, motowngoalie said:

@Bmats30 how do you like the True holder, is it much different than the Bauer as far as height/feel? Considering putting them on G7500 boots.

@motowngoalie I like them a lot, I have no used the vertexx holders but I believe them to be similar (without having them in front of me to compare currently). Pros for the True holders: I personally like the forward pitch to be more on my toes, the 4mm steel (now looking at getting a new set of boots and the graf 5500 holders), the stock profile of the blade (seemed more similar to grafs cowling profile), and I liked that it was the same as the player holder. I use to do more coaching and this allowed me to swap between player and goalie steel without switching to a different skate. I also like the blade being a bolt on attachment, instead of a spring mechanism. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 9:15 AM, AdamL said:

Shift holders are available at Monkey - https://www.goaliemonkey.com/new-items/true-goalie-accessories-shift-attack.html

$29.99 for a pair of holders is so cheap!

On 1/29/2022 at 3:23 AM, bunnyman666 said:

The steel is definitely premium price, however.

Looks like CCM/Step takes the crown for $$$. True isn't too far behind though.

Per Monkey, so prices are in USD:

True Shift DLC 3mm  $139.99
True Shift Stainless 3mm $89.99
True Shift DLC 4mm $169.99

CCM/Step Black XSG 3mm $169.99
CCM/Step Stainless XSG 3mm $109.99
CCM/Step Black XSG 4mm $169.99

Bauer LS5-G (Black, 3mm) $109.99
Bauer Pulse TI (Black, 3mm) $149.99

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interested to know if anyone has done the height measurements difference between the stock Graf 9035 w/cowling, vs Bauer Vapor 2X Pro vs Graf Pro G bs Graf 9035 with custom holder (any brand) ?

I prefer a “lower” skate as my hips and knees can’t take the higher feeling of the Bauer Vapor 2X Pro for example. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Beez37 said:

Interested to know if anyone has done the height measurements difference between the stock Graf 9035 w/cowling, vs Bauer Vapor 2X Pro vs Graf Pro G bs Graf 9035 with custom holder (any brand) ?

I prefer a “lower” skate as my hips and knees can’t take the higher feeling of the Bauer Vapor 2X Pro for example. 

Thanks!

Graf makes one of the tallest cowls, as Step did not make extreme blades for that cowl. That being said- a cowl may still be lower than most holders.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Graf makes one of the tallest cowls, as Step did not make extreme blades for that cowl. That being said- a cowl may still be lower than most holders.

So you’re thinking the cowl + the blade on a stock 9035 might be around the same as a taller holder + blade on another model?

On 2/27/2022 at 1:09 PM, Beez37 said:

Thanks!

Took a few pics of spare parts to show some differences in height.  
9035s with first gen true two piece holder,G50s with newer graf cowling (uncut standard height steel, black graf cowlings with higher stock steel (also uncut),and DM1080 with graf two piece holder. True is a few mm higher than pro g holder, where as higher stock steel on the cowling is a few mm shorter than pro g. 

417CB91A-CC18-4CAA-82E4-6E6884A8CA32.thumb.jpeg.0f8b8f792cb8c7e54824ee665a8bf596.jpeg67AAF350-16D0-43DA-91DD-6609D0687DDC.thumb.jpeg.6011eae806dce7671afe2a24b4de8e45.jpeg73653BA9-D375-42FB-A6CC-5A9873448E9C.thumb.jpeg.0f6ad1e4eee2323164e57972bb429714.jpegEE1C8208-0FAD-42A2-B7FF-9AD31A5AA5F9.thumb.jpeg.59da6486380b468742847499012d3bbc.jpegD3DC1508-1F4A-4096-8BE8-CC212BE5FC00.thumb.jpeg.63cf3ea80b798551ca991972dd062cc5.jpeg42755A4D-D143-4FF8-955F-C39C92018222.thumb.jpeg.9ecf22d5c12257ed250b6f32bb2cd826.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1