DIY: Paddle Shaving + Stick Height

BadAngle41

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wait, you think your Passau sticks are lighter than your Warriors?  What model are those Warriors?  I think my Passau foam cores are significantly heavier than my Warrior Swagger Pro foam core sticks.

Warrior is a Swagger ST... durable stick... I love the Bumpersole on it... but it is heavy. Sherwood is a GS150... so yeah... it's a tree trunk.

6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wait, you think your Passau sticks are lighter than your Warriors?  What model are those Warriors?  I think my Passau foam cores are significantly heavier than my Warrior Swagger Pro foam core sticks.

I do, too. Mine is the Warrior Swagger "Pro" made in finland SMU that Total Goalie had last year. Not sure what that compares to at the standard retail level. 

10 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Warrior is a Swagger ST... durable stick... I love the Bumpersole on it... but it is heavy. Sherwood is a GS150... so yeah... it's a tree trunk.

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I do, too. Mine is the Warrior Swagger "Pro" made in finland SMU that Total Goalie had last year. Not sure what that compares to at the standard retail level. 

Let me check Goalie Monkey to see exactly which mine is.  I remember there being a Swagger LT for light and an STR for strength.  I am pretty sure mine was neither, just labeled pro...

Yep, Swagger Pro.  This is what I have.

Yeah I'd expect those to be pretty light. These are what I have.

IMG_0712.thumb.JPG.d3f617874ceb8768700311ea1c5dc708.JPGIMG_0711.thumb.JPG.fc4158cb814f352d4ee27cd8e18ec170.JPG

Again, they're some SMU product made for TotalHockey, made in Finland. The Passau wasn't significantly lighter, but slightly. Not enough to care. It always blows my mind the people who are somehow able to feel 3 grams difference in equipment. 

17 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yeah I'd expect those to be pretty light. These are what I have.

Again, they're some SMU product made for TotalHockey, made in Finland. The Passau wasn't significantly lighter, but slightly. Not enough to care. It always blows my mind the people who are somehow able to feel 3 grams difference in equipment. 

Yea I agree. I think its mostly bs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2017 at 2:14 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone cut down a stick for puck handling purposes? I'm going to do it and looking for feedback 

How much did you cut? 

On 10/15/2017 at 4:32 PM, kbarboza said:

I would be curious about this as well. Thanks!

I tend to cut mine about 1.5 inches down. I use both Turco and Traditional grip, and with it cut down I have much more control over both. Especially when handling in tight quarters. It hasn't affected the occasional poke check or pass cutting-off, and makes it easier to seal and wrap around the post in RVH/paddle down scenarios. It gives my stick a more even balance too, or at least feels like it too me. I'm about 6'2'' with skates on, so any further down and it would be too short for my liking. Oddly enough, when I skate out I put in extension in my sticks.

Here's one of my cut sticks next to one I used straight out of the box for comparison:

IMG_1897.thumb.JPG.50bd4b58b68b0e6dbeaaec92bc096343.JPG

As far as paddle shaving goes, I started to do it in 2015 by hand, then stumbled upon some Bobrovsky pro stocks that had the shaved paddle virtually built-in. When I decided to dole out the dough for custom sticks (as I'm very annoying and particular with sticks), I sent the Bobs sticks for the body, and the blade of the stick I puck handled better with (Bobs uses a heel wedge with a flatter blade, which was trickier for me.) to Vaughn for this stick chimera. I absolutely love the paddle like this. With a little grip tape it feels really comfortable and ergonomic in my hand. It's roughly a 26'' paddle too.

IMG_1898.thumb.JPG.21f07ad4eb6fe9ff463ed074d57c6b42.JPG

Took a stab at cutting a trigger grip in an old stick. I picked up some pro stock CCM 500s, so I wanted to try it out before committing. Feels excellent in the house. May try taking this stick out for a stick-n-puck session before pulling the trigger (get it?) on the CCMs.

Drew a basic shape with a pencil, used a dremel with a standard cutting bit to cut the main part out, leaving some material as a buffer, then did the finishing with a sanding drum bit on the dremel. Pretty easy. May refine the shape some, but figured it was better to leave more material to work it. Can always remove more if needed.

2A183A53-2F4B-449E-AFA2-7EE0A37352FF.thumb.jpeg.7bfadb96a9a94abb028e42e61a651fe0.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived