New skates

Nohtaram

I'm on the market for new pair of skates.

Currently I've got Bauer 1S 9,5D (275mm of foot length) and would propably go with 9 for my next one. I need to change as they hurt my inner ankles so badly I can barely stand in them on the ice not to mention skateing.

I was at Bauer 3D Lab today and it get me Vapors 9D (1,5 year ago it picked 2S) but I wasn't able to try them on as none hockey store around here stocks goalie skates. I scan myself again for player skates to verify accuracy of that thing and it shows 8,5 Fit2 or 8,5EE. I tried player 2S|8,5EE, 3S Pro|8,5 Fit2, 2S|9EE, 3S Pro|9 Fit2 and 2X|9D.

The bast fit was 2S|9EE (not perfect but after bake should be ok) second 2X|9D - others was a total miss.

All of that laeves me quite confused.

I don't have any experience with CCM skates as never owned a pair and don't have anywhere to try them on but I don't trust Bauers trigger system after losing a blade in both of last two games so I might consider ordering CCM. Not sure which model though?

Do you got suggestion or ideas to help me pick correct model?

1 hour ago, Nohtaram said:

Currently I've got Bauer 1S 9,5D (275mm of foot length) and would propably go with 9 for my next one. I need to change as they hurt my inner ankles so badly I can barely stand in them on the ice not to mention skateing.

I was at Bauer 3D Lab today and it get me Vapors 9D (1,5 year ago it picked 2S) but I wasn't able to try them on as none hockey store around here stocks goalie skates. I scan myself again for player skates to verify accuracy of that thing and it shows 8,5 Fit2 or 8,5EE. I tried player 2S|8,5EE, 3S Pro|8,5 Fit2, 2S|9EE, 3S Pro|9 Fit2 and 2X|9D.

The bast fit was 2S|9EE (not perfect but after bake should be ok) second 2X|9D - others was a total miss.

All of that laeves me quite confused.

I don't have any experience with CCM skates as never owned a pair and don't have anywhere to try them on but I don't trust Bauers trigger system after losing a blade in both of last two games so I might consider ordering CCM. Not sure which model though?

We sadly can't pick anything for you, you need to take a day trip to a store and put on skates. It comes down to fit, we sometimes think that one skate is better than the other while going a half size or one bigger and it's not. You need to get fitted, those scans in some cases mean nothing. 

2 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

We sadly can't pick anything for you, you need to take a day trip to a store and put on skates. It comes down to fit, we sometimes think that one skate is better than the other while going a half size or one bigger and it's not. You need to get fitted, those scans in some cases mean nothing. 

I'm not want you to pick for me but was hoping for suggestion which model look for. Closest shop that probably would have both any Bauer and CCM golie skates is over 500km away so I would order something and send it back rather than drive there.

I already know half size smaller should be fine even based on my current 1S.

I can still get 2S Pro in my size but after miss with 1S I would rather try Vapors or something from CCM. Just thinking what are pros and cons behind CCMs and Bauers and which would be better for someone with low instep/arch and medium heels/ankles?

11 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

I'm not want you to pick for me but was hoping for suggestion which model look for. Closest shop that probably would have both any Bauer and CCM golie skates is over 500km away so I would order something and send it back rather than drive there.

I already know half size smaller should be fine even based on my current 1S.

I can still get 2S Pro in my size but after miss with 1S I would rather try Vapors or something from CCM. Just thinking what are pros and cons behind CCMs and Bauers and which would be better for someone with low instep/arch and medium heels/ankles?

Having owned a pair of S170 8EE, then upgrading to a Vapor 900 7.5EE as they fit better to now I finally got a pair of ccm as3 7.5D. My favourite skate is the ccm as ccm skates have always fit better and been slightly wider in the tacks line. 

Biggest difference is going to be pitch of the blades ccm uses a neutral pitch on there xs goalie holder compared to a Bauer lightspeedG holder.

Ccm holder is much easier to sharpen as well. Since you do special jig to sharpen them or pull the blades out as that is what I did for the last 4 years.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, Nohtaram said:

All of that leaves me quite confused.

okay well, as far as the 2sPro skates go. i have a pair, and i have been having the exact same issue with inner ankle pain, i find the ankle depth isn't deep enough, as my ankle rubs on the eyelets. since you are having a similar issue, i would have recommended moving to Vapor skates, but with the whole new fit system Bauer is using, i am not very familiar with that. 

in my case, i went to my local hockey store in Winnipeg, and tried on some pro return True/VH skates. i have found a pair that fits me much much better than even a stock Bauer skate, with lots more ankle room so my ankle sits where its supposed to. hopefully ill be going to get them this week and bake them, i guess ill see how that goes.

i would recommend a Fit 3 for the added ankle area, but the forefoot tends to fit much wider....... if you could get a fit 3 with a more narrow front section..... that may work for you?

hope this was helpful! 

1 hour ago, Damon Nash said:

i would recommend a Fit 3 for the added ankle area, but the forefoot tends to fit much wider....... if you could get a fit 3 with a more narrow front section..... that may work for you?

Unfortunately, goalie skates aren't available in Bauer's new fit system yet.

for the inner ankle/ depth issue,  don't use thick insoles or insoles like yellow super feet, get bauer speed plates thin and forms to feet and skates.

you can also skip that eyelet where it rubs or do inside out or outside in lacing pattern or heel loop, or even lace it up on the same side by 1 eyelet.

Or a combination of all the above. had the same problem and now it fits fine.

Are the Bauer skates still made in way that player skates are totally different mold than goalies? Or to say like I was told by one "expert"; player Vapor is like Goalie Supreme and vice versa? This was atleast for the lacing over feet. 

For those feet scannig systems I share my experience. I was on X700 Vapors for over a year, 8EE size based on what I had for player skates that are great for me.

I recently upgraded my goalies because the Vapors just didn't do very well, difficulties with lacing and all.

Scanner gave me Supremes with 8,5D sizing. And I have to give credit to the system as now I've had roughly 20 ice times with those and they are like socks to my feet with only a basic quick bakefor the skate and speed plate 2.0.

And I do recommed the Speed Plates, I have those in all of my skates nowadays. 

Supreme 1S and 2S lines were similar, tight fit in ankle area and lot of users including me find that there´s not enough volume. It is very easy to see where your anklebones are rubbing. There is more volume in 2X line and 2x pro has been very good for my feet. The new 2020 Supreme line is not like the old ones, there is even more volume than in Vapors. 

So if you scan your feet or did it last summer and Skate Lab said Supreme it means that older Supremes are last choise for you.

I wouldn't say that lack of volume around the ankle was the problem - it's more about depth I guess. It felt like inner side of the boot was to short and I ended up with my ankle on eyelets. I tried different ways of tying them and even ripped my player Reebok 30k skates and put lace lock in my 1S to get more options but it didn't help.

I wanted to leave Bauer family (as runners pops out like crazy during games) and order CCM AS3 Pro but had to return them. Overall built quality was not that great and they didn't fit me at all.
So I ended up buing 2X Pro but due to some minor injuries haven't tested them yet.

If I was to experience runner pops by the trigger being pushed I'd drill a small hole right to the "bottom" of the trigger for a spring pin. Pin would be easy enough to pull out for sharpening the runners but still hold it's place and prevent the trigger from being pulled/pushed.

Green dot in the picture where to drill the hole.

vertexx_edge_holder.jpeg.fde218c1e375196314a503d0135dc6c8.jpeg

But a bit more thinking and I would still make sure there isn't anything inside the trigger that would be destroyed by drilling...

I don't know if that would help in my case - I mean it could, I just don't know :) 

For me it happend twice on my right skate in two games in a row on same play in the corner. I started with hug on the post and lean leg forward a bit, then when play get closer go into RVH and get back to my feet again. My blade has to stuck under the post initialy, lift the net a bit when in RVH and pop out when I was lifting myself back from the ice.

1 hour ago, Nohtaram said:

I don't know if that would help in my case - I mean it could, I just don't know :) 

For me it happend twice on my right skate in two games in a row on same play in the corner. I started with hug on the post and lean leg forward a bit, then when play get closer go into RVH and get back to my feet again. My blade has to stuck under the post initialy, lift the net a bit when in RVH and pop out when I was lifting myself back from the ice.

I had issues with Bauer steel popping out of the runner, but haven't since I switched to 4mm Step Steel.

Can't get Step for Bauer runners anymore, though.

Archived