Damon Nash

I am currently looking into getting a new pair of skates. i currently wear a Bauer Supreme 2sPro size 8.5D, i am having issues with the depth of the ankle area of the skate, my inner ankle bone specifically. i have these little ankle socks with silicone pads i wear to even just put on the skates, as my inner ankle bone has gotten so bruised, the ankle pads help, but only so much. i went to my nearest source for sports here in Winnipeg, and tried on a set of pro return True 2-piece custom skates. right out of the gate they fit me surprisingly well, they were hard to get on, and the skate was pretty snug width and depth wise overall, and i had much much more ankle depth which felt great. but i have a few questions regarding the Trues.

1. since they are pro stock, would i still have a warranty on them? they are brand new never used. only reason im asking is because ive heard a mix of good and bad reviews with the durability.

2. Will they form well to my feet if they were built for someone else?

3. What thickness is the step steel on the 2-piece holders?

4. Is the maintenance as important as im reading? ie. taking the footbeds out after every skate, putting them infront of a fan, etc.

5. when baking them, how many times should i bake them? i baked my 2spros 3 different times to get them feeling somewhat okay.

6. does anyone else have any experience with pro stock true skates? if so, how have they been?

i have tried ccm skates, and my foot just does not fit in those, at all, even after baking them, i used to wear Grafs and those were so comfy, i have not tried vapor skates, but id imagine id have a similar issue with those as im having with my 2spros. id also rather not drop a grand on vapor skates if i can get these trues for half the price, and they end up fitting me better anyways.

Edit*: doing some digging, I have also found that Goaliemonkey.com sells true pro stock skates for about 700$ U.S, reading the reviews off of that, it seems like the skates bake well to other peoples feet, which I guess would make sense considering the way the skate is built. That does bring me some sanity lol. I had also called my local store about warranties, and got some good news. 
“ the boots have a 90 day warranty, the holders and steel have a 1 year warranty” which is good since I’ve read the rivets like to come loose on these skates! 

thanks for the read! any help/guidance would be awesome!!

2 hours ago, Damon Nash said:

1. since they are pro stock, would i still have a warranty on them? they are brand new never used. only reason im asking is because ive heard a mix of good and bad reviews with the durability.

Probably not, most pro stock gear sold to teams does not carry a warranty.  You'll want to check with your retailer to confirm.

Depends on how close your foot shape is to the original owners'.  It sounds like they fit you well?

I want to say 3mm but I haven't looked to be sure.  Again, you handled these in person...

4. Is the maintenance as important as im reading? ie. taking the footbeds out after every skate, putting them infront of a fan, etc.

Yes, it is recommended to pull out both footbed layers to dry between skates.

5. when baking them, how many times should i bake them? i baked my 2spros 3 different times to get them feeling somewhat okay.

Once was fine for me on both pairs.

6. does anyone else have any experience with pro stock true skates? if so, how have they been?

Can't answer this as mine were custom for me.

My response in italics

15 hours ago, Damon Nash said:

2.  Maybe.   To be honest I could barely fit my feet into my custom True's before heating them.  Afterwards they fit beautifully.   Given that yours fit out of the box I'm going to speculate that they may be too big once you get them baked.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

3.  The holder is 3mm, but the steel on mine was 4mm.   Compare them to any newer CCM/Bauer goalie skate and you should be able to see a difference.  Or pull the steel out of the holder.  If it changes sizes like mine does the actual runner is 4mm.

4.  YES!   I've had no durability issues with my True skates after two years, but I treat them like a Ferrari, not a Toyota. Laces are undone well down the skate before removing.  Blades are dried at the rink and again when I get home.  Footbeds are removed at home to dry.  I have a fan blowing on my entire drying rack, so airflow isn't an issue.  All told caring for my skates properly probably takes me 3 extra minutes per ice time, and hanging all my gear out only takes 10 minutes or so.   Seems like a small price to pay to have virtually no stink even on my oldest gear.

5.  If they were custom for you I'd say one and done.   Given that you may be making adjustments, probably a couple times through.  I'd get the retailer to commit to multiple free rebakes (if needed) before buying.

16 hours ago, Damon Nash said:

I am currently looking into getting a new pair of skates. i currently wear a Bauer Supreme 2sPro size 8.5D, i am having issues with the depth of the ankle area of the skate, my inner ankle bone specifically. i have these little ankle socks with silicone pads i wear to even just put on the skates, as my inner ankle bone has gotten so bruised, the ankle pads help, but only so much. i went to my nearest source for sports here in Winnipeg, and tried on a set of pro return True 2-piece custom skates. right out of the gate they fit me surprisingly well, and i had much much more ankle depth which felt great. but i have a few questions regarding the Trues.

i have tried ccm skates, and my foot just does not fit in those, at all, even after baking them, i used to wear Grafs and those were so comfy, i have not tried vapor skates, but id imagine id have a similar issue with those as im having with my 2spros. id also rather not drop a grand on vapor skates if i can get these trues for half the price, and they end up fitting me better anyways.

thanks for the read! any help/guidance would be awesome!!

Did you try Ultra Sonic or 3S? The updated fit sounds like it could work for you as well. If you want True skates, enjoy! Just another option if you're looking for one

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

One quick question:  How much cheaper are the pro returns?  If they're not at least $250 cheaper than custom I'd save my money and go custom. 

The pro stock trues come in at 600, whereas the Bauer’s and such at that particular store come in at 899$ I believe.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Did you try Ultra Sonic or 3S? The updated fit sounds like it could work for you as well. If you want True skates, enjoy! Just another option if you're looking for one

I had not tried the new ultrasonic skates yet, I’ll definitely give them a try the next time I go i though, thank you!!

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

2.  Maybe.   To be honest I could barely fit my feet into my custom True's before heating them.  Afterwards they fit beautifully.   Given that yours fit out of the box I'm going to speculate that they may be too big once you get them baked.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

3.  The holder is 3mm, but the steel on mine was 4mm.   Compare them to any newer CCM/Bauer goalie skate and you should be able to see a difference.  Or pull the steel out of the holder.  If it changes sizes like mine does the actual runner is 4mm.

4.  YES!   I've had no durability issues with my True skates after two years, but I treat them like a Ferrari, not a Toyota. Laces are undone well down the skate before removing.  Blades are dried at the rink and again when I get home.  Footbeds are removed at home to dry.  I have a fan blowing on my entire drying rack, so airflow isn't an issue.  All told caring for my skates properly probably takes me 3 extra minutes per ice time, and hanging all my gear out only takes 10 minutes or so.   Seems like a small price to pay to have virtually no stink even on my oldest gear.

5.  If they were custom for you I'd say one and done.   Given that you may be making adjustments, probably a couple times through.  I'd get the retailer to commit to multiple free rebakes (if needed) before buying.

I mean, I guess I should have worded myself better lol. The skates were tough to get on, which is just a trait of the skates, they fit well but the were pretty snug overall, but I guess I won’t really find much out until I bake them. Thank you very much for the response!! 

4 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

+1 for taking care of your skates.

I've been using my True skates for 1 year (they were used 1.5 - 2 years before I bought them second hand) and they are still holding up perfectly. Aside from the removal of the footbed, I follow the same care as the post above. I treat them nicely when putting the skates on and off, and I have a fan blowing air into them when I dry them at home. 

9 hours ago, Damon Nash said:

I mean, I guess I should have worded myself better lol. The skates were tough to get on, which is just a trait of the skates, they fit well but the were pretty snug overall, but I guess I won’t really find much out until I bake them. Thank you very much for the response!! 

For $600 I might give them a go then.  That could end up being a really great deal.  Will the store let you bake before buying?  If they think you're serious they might be willing to.

14 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

It’s a 3mm holder with 4mm steel in it by default though goalieparts.com sells Tydan 3mm steel for it if you prefer that. 

On 11/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, Puckstopper said:

For $600 I might give them a go then.  That could end up being a really great deal.  Will the store let you bake before buying?  If they think you're serious they might be willing to.

I gave them a call today, the guy I spoke with said they will make sure I get them baked and that they fit properly, if not, they’ll find a way to figure it out. I’m hoping to get them cheaper than 600$ as well since they are taking on trades, I’ve got a set of my Slr’s with a brand new slr glove as well as my current 2s pros to trade in! 

as far as the warranty goes, the boot has a 90 day warranty, the holder and steel have a 1 year warranty.

7 hours ago, Damon Nash said:

I gave them a call today, the guy I spoke with said they will make sure I get them baked and that they fit properly, if not, they’ll find a way to figure it out. I’m hoping to get them cheaper than 600$ as well since they are taking on trades, I’ve got a set of my Slr’s with a brand new slr glove as well as my current 2s pros to trade in! 

as far as the warranty goes, the boot has a 90 day warranty, the holder and steel have a 1 year warranty.

Nice. Best of luck!

Archived