Sportmask Thread

45 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@ULTIMA - Interesting about your post. For some reason... I have been drooling over a Sportmask lately. It's not like they are new or anything either!

Truth is I never found their masks to be special. When I was working in hockey, we never ordered in the higher end model masks, just the lower end Ricochet or X8 models and I thought they were pretty crappy. Those Pro series masks were so impressive and it's been very tough to tear me away from Protechsport.

22 minutes ago, netminder said:

THey could use a foam upgrade. its pretty much 2008 beige foam technology that base model youth one used and in lowest end player helmets.. Otherwise the masks look great.

Yeah it’s for this reason that it did not beat out my 960XPM as my primary mask. It’s an excellent shell but I will need to upgrade the foam in the future. 

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Punisher Goalie - Thanks! I would imagine the shell is very light then. That’s pretty good weight for a Steel cage. 

Is Ti an option from them?

Not sure. They did not have one at the goalie crease when I ordered. I have a pro stock Ti CCM cage that fits my Mage RS perfectly. Haven’t checked it on the Pro Series yet. 

On 12/27/2017 at 3:32 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

Not sure. They did not have one at the goalie crease when I ordered. I have a pro stock Ti CCM cage that fits my Mage RS perfectly. Haven’t checked it on the Pro Series yet. 

That's interesting to note, I didn't think it would fit perfectly.

12 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Here’s a pic of the CCM cage on my Mage RS (medium):

06B99096-70D0-4D3E-BA05-480DD5A1F453.thumb.jpeg.8baf6ea64456a9d5df6543b90458b618.jpeg

Nice, that really looks like the cage was made for it. I guess if you want the same visibility as a Mage but don't want the look, you can just get a CCM or other mask with a big window (which I've always wondered why some insist on the Mage when other masks have the same size window or bigger with the traditional mask look, but to each their own). Also, I do like the Mage so it's good to know that if I ever get one and want to save even more weight, the Ti CCM cage fits. And I guess this means those who want a flatbar cage or who prefer the Sportmask cage can now get a Mage cage for their CCM masks.

8 hours ago, KootenayKeeper said:

I have a Mage RS too. Did you drill new holes to mount this cage because yours are in different locations than on mine with the extended RS cat eye cage.

I think sometime in 2012-ish they changed the hole placement as well as moving up the forehead ridges on the Mage.

Edited by TitanG
Added opinion

5 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

I thought they used pretty good foam. I remember it was the nicer 3M foam instead of the nash ones that harden. 

At least that's what they used when Tony refubed my Mage. 

My Mage RS has rubatex foam but my older Ricochet has the black foam. Not sure what that is called. Is that the "better" foam?