Sportmask Thread

• 8 months later...

Where can I find replacement Mage cages? I have the Mage RS with the 'short' cage in white cateye that I need a new one for.

Weld finally broke after numerous shots to the cage.

The long mage cage fits on the RS, right? Thinking may switch it up for fun. - Like Mike24

Edited by MTH

33 minutes ago, MTH said:

Where can I find replacement Mage cages? I have the Mage RS with the 'short' cage in white cateye that I need a new one for.

Weld finally broke after numerous shots to the cage.

The long mage cage fits on the RS, right? Thinking may switch it up for fun. - Like Mike24

I'd talk to Rance at thegoaliecrease.com - I ordered a new Mage from them about a month ago, so they should be able to get you a cage from Sportmask.

The long cage fits on a Mage RS, but if your Mage RS came with a short cage, you need to drill different holes for the screws. My Mage RS has a long cage and the holes for it are on the bottom of the chin area.

Side note: My current Mage RS was built in 2009, according to the manufacturer sticker on the inside of the helmet. It's a great mask, especially if you're a smaller person like me (5'7") who finds the chins on regular masks too long to be comfortable.

Found a random internet photo which shows the placement of the screws on the long cage well:

1_2b4379c0f271cf9dc2956f213cf5db73.jpg

Edited by Teezle

I see what you're saying with the holes - although, I think I could still mount it with the existing locations as the bar adjacent to those holes are the same. Maybe? IDK...

$_1.JPG

Thanks for the referral. I'll reach out.

I'm thinking the further the bar ends are away from the impact, the less likely they'll pop off. Longer cage = more distance from face.

• 2 weeks later...

Any opinions on the sportmask t3 helmet? How does it fit?

I have 2 of them that I still use every week and rotate through them.  One is from 2007 and the other from 2008 that I got new from Tony back then.   I've never had any issues nor a reason to get another.  I've only changed out the padding in one of them.   Fantastic masks!  

20 hours ago, Gasman said:

I have 2 of them that I still use every week and rotate through them.  One is from 2007 and the other from 2008 that I got new from Tony back then.   I've never had any issues nor a reason to get another.  I've only changed out the padding in one of them.   Fantastic masks!  

A Gasman sighting!!!!!!:x

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow! Blast from the past. We're putting the band back together...

22 hours ago, Gasman said:

• Thanks 1

This really is a fantastic site!   I haven't visited that much and I do apologize for this!   Basically, life gets in the way with a couple of young kids and I'm coaching both of their teams in rep hockey.  Some days I wonder why I do this but then I realize why my wife and I had kids in the first place.   Sadly, no goalies in the mix.   

Hope everyone is well and I look forward to reading about all the great gear that everyone has and uses.   Great to see some old friends here and hopefully meet some new ones. 

?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I have an almost 15 month old son and child number two is due in April.  Part of me can't wait to get him(and eventually #2) on the ice and part of me hopes they don't like hockey at all.  Its so damn expensive here on Long Island(I know it is everywhere but its legit out of hand here).

Wow,  You have been busy!!!!   Much congrats Bud!   Having two kids in rep hockey is a lesson in keeping your finances in order.  LoL!  Between tournaments, travel, gas, etc....etc....it is very expensive.  Alas, at least they enjoy playing and I don't put much pressure on them.  If they ever want to go back to a league that isn't so competitive, I will have no problem with it.  The real issue is some of the parents that I deal with regularly.  They are just crazy out there!   I guess many of them are living through their kids?   I just don't get it.  Thankfully, I'm not like that.   

• Like 1

Sorry to interrupt the nice conversation but I have a question for Gasman.

Having worked at Dukes, you came across your fair share of different brands of gear. Surely you`ve seen a Reidic mask. How much heavier is a Sportmask X8?

I`ll also hit you up in private for a Bauer question.

Edited by RichMan

13 hours ago, RichMan said:

Sorry to interrupt the nice conversation but I have a question for Gasman.

Having worked at Dukes, you came across your fair share of different brands of gear. Surely you`ve seen a Reidic mask. How much heavier is a Sportmask X8?

I`ll also hit you up in private for a Bauer question.

A friend of mine had a Reidic.  Very nice mask!  It was a while ago that I saw one, though.  It was very light being ABS.  I remember being really interested in the heat molded liner which was neat.   I have never physically weighed either one and I haven't held both at the same time to compare.  I can only compare the last x8 that I tried on and I can say that there was no issue with the weight of the mask.  Some masks you will pick up and feel more weight at the forehead or chin areas but the X8 was nice and balanced.   

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 12:11 AM, TitanG said:

Nice, that really looks like the cage was made for it. I guess if you want the same visibility as a Mage but don't want the look, you can just get a CCM or other mask with a big window (which I've always wondered why some insist on the Mage when other masks have the same size window or bigger with the traditional mask look, but to each their own). Also, I do like the Mage so it's good to know that if I ever get one and want to save even more weight, the Ti CCM cage fits. And I guess this means those who want a flatbar cage or who prefer the Sportmask cage can now get a Mage cage for their CCM masks.

I think sometime in 2012-ish they changed the hole placement as well as moving up the forehead ridges on the Mage.

So if I get a sportmask mage cage,it will fit my new ccm pro medium mask?

On 12/28/2017 at 12:26 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Here’s a pic of the CCM cage on my Mage RS (medium):

06B99096-70D0-4D3E-BA05-480DD5A1F453.thumb.jpeg.8baf6ea64456a9d5df6543b90458b618.jpeg

4 hours ago, Vaughnlife79 said:

So if I get a sportmask mage cage,it will fit my new ccm pro medium mask?

You would have to ask @Punisher Goalie to be certain, but it looks like the CCM cage fits on the Mage (with maybe a larger than normal gap at the top?). Not sure if a Mage cage fits on a CCM though.

4 hours ago, TitanG said:

You would have to ask @Punisher Goalie to be certain, but it looks like the CCM cage fits on the Mage (with maybe a larger than normal gap at the top?). Not sure if a Mage cage fits on a CCM though.

Sorry I don’t have the Mage cage any more otherwise I’d test it. That is a Pro stock titanium CCM cage that fits a medium CCM Pro mask on a medium Mage RS.