NHL 2019-2020 Gear Sightings

Steph Lawa

2 hours ago, Dumpy said:

Brians has a probkem with the t folding in and most lace their catch gloves way to tight and it don’t matter where there made. 

Also true, it's not only CCM gloves getting fixed afterwards. With folding T do you mean the T collapsing? Can happen with almost any glove after enough wear and tear + if the pocket is very loosely laced. Less likely with smaller firm pockets though.

It's interesting to follow Factory Mad on Instagram.. Just to see which gloves he gets in for repairs.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Saros with Axis. But what is that little flap? Prevent skate from touching ice when sliding maybe?

Poor quality screenshot from a video.

Screenshot_20200720_154213.jpg

14 hours ago, Dumpy said:

Unless that has a strap connected Id think it would drag going the other way.

Y’all that’s a boot strap through the Lundy loop

Ive found catchers terrible for years now.

Its been a long time since i put a glove on and found it good to close. Bar warrior.

Ive had various brians gloves, tried ccm/bauer id say those two are the worst for it.

It seems as manufacturing streamlines and gear becomes easier to make, the quality isnt there, but the price seems to stay the same. 

The new warrior g5 is a prime example most of the pics im seeing now show very wavey seams. The gt/g4 lines never did

The ccm snr level gear is laughable, heavy cheap 

Was impressed with the new bauer 3s offering. But the material appeared cheap due to the nature of screen printing graphics, i doubt it was-just felt like that 

Sad thing means you have to jump to a smaller company, most time with no trial of their gear. 

6 hours ago, saitagoalie said:

Also true, it's not only CCM gloves getting fixed afterwards. With folding T do you mean the T collapsing? Can happen with almost any glove after enough wear and tear + if the pocket is very loosely laced. Less likely with smaller firm pockets though.

It's interesting to follow Factory Mad on Instagram.. Just to see which gloves he gets in for repairs.

The T folds in. My buddy who calls himself a gear whore has a Brian’s catcher that he had Dennis rebuild and Dennis told him that when he rebuilds a Brians he makes a new T standard. I saw it myself how the T folds in. My buddy told me Brians sent him a glove of their own to get redone to reverse engineer but Brians wasted $200 cause nothin has been improved LOL

6 hours ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

A few weeks ago, I was at Pure Hockey and tried on a retail pro CCM Axis catcher.  The quality was laughable.  Was labeled "game ready" and didn't close.  You could tell the break wasn't even really lined up.  I use a Lefevre built glove from CCM and the quality is insanely better.  The sales associate said it was because you have to put it in the oven first.  The retail level pro gear these days is often terrible compared to what it used to be.  

The funny thing is that the people who work on this stuff have no idea what there makin. I am not one of the people who has romantic visions of the old Canadian stuff made where the people makin it was passionate about hockey, but they atleast know what hockey was when workin in a hockey gear factory for good wages. I heard stories from a person who goes to factorys in Asia doing independent QC and  she says the quality gets better with the more common the object is there makin in that country. Chinese made bikes are very good as everyone rides a bike in China. I think the reason Bettman  has hockey games in China is that he wants the Chinese to know hockey so they know how the stuff there building works therefor better chinese made stuff for the players.

9 hours ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

A few weeks ago, I was at Pure Hockey and tried on a retail pro CCM Axis catcher.  The quality was laughable.  Was labeled "game ready" and didn't close.  You could tell the break wasn't even really lined up.  I use a Lefevre built glove from CCM and the quality is insanely better.  The sales associate said it was because you have to put it in the oven first.  The retail level pro gear these days is often terrible compared to what it used to be.  

I agree, I don't like CCM catchers either. But I think those are some old golden memories that pro catcher used to be better. Old ones were heavier, stiffer and worse in many ways. 

And there's been those repairer guys forever but social media is quite new thing. I know some goalies Who ordered only skins and some local repairer stuffed it. There is still some goalies who send their brand new gear to repairer. Not sure if NHL goalies, because I think they have the closest relationship to factories, but atleast Euro goalies. 

7 minutes ago, Korppi32 said:

I agree, I don't like CCM catchers either. But I think those are some old golden memories that pro catcher used to be better. Old ones were heavier, stiffer and worse in many ways. 

And there's been those repairer guys forever but social media is quite new thing. I know some goalies Who ordered only skins and some local repairer stuffed it. There is still some goalies who send their brand new gear to repairer. Not sure if NHL goalies, because I think they have the closest relationship to factories, but atleast Euro goalies. 

Many pro goalies won’t touch anything until the gear repair guys get it Dennis Dombrowski modded things for NHL pros for a very long time. Tim Thomas was the reason he designed the back part of his pads the way he did with lace-in tabs up and down the leg channel. It all depends on who the pro is and what relationship they have with the factory and how much of a tinkerer they are. Pros get different privleges than slobs like us like buying the skins for there guy to stuff ofcourse they will buy several at a time unlike us.  Belfour didn’t even really use Cooper pads cause great saves did all the stuff inside. Ofcourse Belfour made Cooper a lot of money using there name by kids using Cooper gear both ice and street. Wish I still had my Cooper Reactor Streets stuff.

On 7/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, saitagoalie said:

As the CCM thread seems to be closed.. Is CCM building all their gear overseas now or do they still have a NA factory for the pro guys / custom gear?

Anyhow, I think most CCM guys will be in Lefevre in the future. The Lefevre style of equipment has been around.. well forever almost (I'm that young) and year after year it's been popular among the pros and us gear nerds. Why would that change? 

Unless plans have changed, CCM is not planning to build a factory here in North America. It's not part of their future road map.

I do believe the new "factory" is more like a production line or factory within a factory focused on the pro clients. At last check, there was no plans to build a new physical facility.

6 hours ago, Dumpy said:

The funny thing is that the people who work on this stuff have no idea what there makin. I am not one of the people who has romantic visions of the old Canadian stuff made where the people makin it was passionate about hockey, but they atleast know what hockey was when workin in a hockey gear factory for good wages. I heard stories from a person who goes to factorys in Asia doing independent QC and  she says the quality gets better with the more common the object is there makin in that country. Chinese made bikes are very good as everyone rides a bike in China. I think the reason Bettman  has hockey games in China is that he wants the Chinese to know hockey so they know how the stuff there building works therefor better chinese made stuff for the players.

Towards the point of 'growing the game', sometimes I like to imagine a future scenario where a non-predominantly-white country like China really dedicated time and energy to building a hockey system, and challenged or achieved world dominance.

It would be interesting to see what kind of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth would occur (and from watching the hockey community, there would be a lot of it). But also maybe shifting perceptions of manufacturing and worker exploitation too.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:34 AM, proudSnowflake72 said:

Towards the point of 'growing the game', sometimes I like to imagine a future scenario where a non-predominantly-white country like China really dedicated time and energy to building a hockey system, and challenged or achieved world dominance.

It would be interesting to see what kind of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth would occur (and from watching the hockey community, there would be a lot of it). But also maybe shifting perceptions of manufacturing and worker exploitation too.

Kinda like non-white countries dominating soccer. A world with lots of hockey is a good thing.

36 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Anyone know what pads Nedeljkovic (Jesus his name sucks to type) actually wears? They have the slimmed down SLR outer roll but have a break. Also in gameplay they seem super soft like a velocity or eflex. Also how about the all red stick?

AB22977F-5BC1-4F9B-A396-CD74B7BA8726.jpeg

B15AAA48-27F1-45A7-AA44-126257B671F0.png

The red stick will just be one of his Vaughn sticks painted over.  Vaughn does not pay to have their sticks in the NHL any longer.

17 hours ago, Dumpy said:

The T folds in. My buddy who calls himself a gear whore has a Brian’s catcher that he had Dennis rebuild and Dennis told him that when he rebuilds a Brians he makes a new T standard. I saw it myself how the T folds in. My buddy told me Brians sent him a glove of their own to get redone to reverse engineer but Brians wasted $200 cause nothin has been improved LOL

I've never had this happen with any of my Brian's gloves and I've had three of them. I know I'm providing anecdotal evidence.

All have closed great when new.

5 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I've never had this happen with any of my Brian's gloves and I've had three of them. I know I'm providing anecdotal evidence.

All have closed great when new.

My buddy would of rather kept the T as he likes the beast eyes and didn’t wanna spend the money on a new T. He recycled the eyes and put them onto the backhand protection. His glove didn’t close worth a damn.

On 7/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, ArdeFIN said:

Saros with Axis. But what is that little flap? Prevent skate from touching ice when sliding maybe?

Poor quality screenshot from a video.

Screenshot_20200720_154213.jpg

Instep protection? Especially with todays cowlingless skate boots. Or cut cowls. 

3 hours ago, Chester said:

Instep protection? Especially with todays cowlingless skate boots. Or cut cowls. 

It's just a boot strap tab that he's running through the skate Lundy loop. The strap itself is a mushroom style so the sport gold tab you see is just where it inserts though.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:55 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Could just be a SLR. SLR's aren't exactly the stiffest "stiff" pad.

I agree. Vaughn generally does NOT re-skin within the first 24 months. I am guessing it's a softer break SLR2. If anyone else, it's a custom softer break SLR1 with SLR2 skin

On 7/21/2020 at 9:41 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Unless plans have changed, CCM is not planning to build a factory here in North America. It's not part of their future road map.

I do believe the new "factory" is more like a production line or factory within a factory focused on the pro clients. At last check, there was no plans to build a new physical facility.

Did some more digging...

Between Covid, the NHL unexpectedly playing in July, a second training camp to test things, pros not getting Axis samples, and Lefevre being domestic for quick ramp up, I think it's safe to say a lot of guys using Lefevre will keep it through the playoffs. Many guys are basically in the same pad with a different graphic.

That fact cannot be lost. Carter Hart is probably in identical specs. Even Rinne, who switched from 12.1/Eflex to 20.1, is in a similar pad. He had the X Stiff core in EFlex, which was pro only. That is basically the missing link between EFlex and Axis / 20.1

This whole gear tracking thing is going to be cra cra next fall too. Many guys could very easily go back to CCM when the playing field is more level. The field could shift again if True by Lefevre actually happens.

Archived